Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 05:46 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Where is the public outrage here?

Isis claims it attacked Israeli port of Eilat with rockets launched from Egypt | The Independent
Ynetnews News - ISIS claims responsibility for Eilat rockets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 05:54 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times

What 'public' do you expect to be outraged? The public that didn't even know about this (like me till you posted this) or the Israeli public who were the object of the attacks (which didn't injure anyone - though that is NO excuse ... just so you know I do CARE - I don't want to see Israel attacked at all) or the Egyptian public from where the attacks were launched or the Palestinian public because it is said that the attacks were carried out this time by ISIS and not Hamas (though I am still struggling to really understand the difference in many of these groups)? Is the significance that the attacks were carried out by ISIS or that they happened at all?

If this happened 'overnight' .. right now on the east coast of the US it isn't even 8 a.m. and it is even earlier further west. I expect many are not even awake yet.

I really don't want to diminish what may be the importance of this story but your question could have been perhaps better phrased or included more comment perhaps?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Since it was only four grads, it was probably a home made launcher placed on the back of a pickup and not a real launcher which sits on the back of a flat back truck. It was a shoot and run and Israel's Iron Dome took care of it. Israel probably has already told Egypt where the heat signature emanated from and Egypt will take care of it in their own special way. Public outrage? It was a bunch of Cub Scouts playing War for a few minutes. The public will not say much.

Looks like Egypt has already responded:
News from The Associated Press

Quote:
Palestinian officials said the blast was caused by an Israeli airstrike, but the Israeli military denied any involvement. Residents said the explosion was on the Egyptian side of the border, raising the possibility of an Egyptian strike.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
What 'public' do you expect to be outraged? The public that didn't even know about this (like me till you posted this) or the Israeli public who were the object of the attacks (which didn't injure anyone - though that is NO excuse ... just so you know I do CARE - I don't want to see Israel attacked at all) or the Egyptian public from where the attacks were launched or the Palestinian public because it is said that the attacks were carried out this time by ISIS and not Hamas (though I am still struggling to really understand the difference in many of these groups)? Is the significance that the attacks were carried out by ISIS or that they happened at all?

If this happened 'overnight' .. right now on the east coast of the US it isn't even 8 a.m. and it is even earlier further west. I expect many are not even awake yet.

I really don't want to diminish what may be the importance of this story but your question could have been perhaps better phrased or included more comment perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Since it was only four grads, it was probably a home made launcher placed on the back of a pickup and not a real launcher which sits on the back of a flat back truck. It was a shoot and run and Israel's Iron Dome took care of it. Israel probably has already told Egypt where the heat signature emanated from and Egypt will take care of it in their own special way. Public outrage? It was a bunch of Cub Scouts playing War for a few minutes. The public will not say much.
This happened yesterday and Israeli Red Code Alerts about the rockets were posted yesterday afternoon East Coast time (when the weather was still good!). I also I saw a later report that there were 7 rockets launched towards Eilat (in Southern Israel).

The significance is also that ISIS rather than Hamas or Hezbollah are taking responsibility for these rockets launches.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Well, Israel has every right to respond.

If I were a. Israeli, I'd say to hell with two states, to hell with the Palestinians and Israel first.

The Palestinians should go to Jordan.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:18 AM

What ISIS claims and what is true may not always be the same thing. These groups all to a great extent both back each other and then murder each other .. it is a conundrum that many of us have a hard time understanding or resolving in our own minds. The real issue here is that yet again one of these groups attacked Israel (and unprovoked in my estimation). Luckily Israel was prepared and the Iron Dome took care of the problem. Luckily too (for the aggressors involved, whoever they were), Israel didn't immediately retaliate though, from where I stand, they could have and it would have been more than understandable.

ISIS is everywhere. Why I have trouble really understanding the significance of the names of these groups is that they all seem to have the same basic goals and I would bet many people are (at least unofficial) members of both. They have a 'common bond' in that they all just want to murder and create mass mayhem. They all just seem to want to destroy not only Israel (though that is their primary target of choice in that region among other US interests) but anyone who stands in their way when they are doing that. In short, none of them are good people or reasonable people or people anyone can 'deal with' rationally. ISIS claims this attack because ISIS likes publicity. Wouldn't surprise me though since they may have usurped Hamas in this case if a bit of in-fighting may not go on as a result.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This happened yesterday and Israeli Red Code Alerts about the rockets were posted yesterday afternoon East Coast time (when the weather was still good!). I also I saw a later report that there were 7 rockets launched towards Eilat (in Southern Israel).

The significance is also that ISIS rather than Hamas or Hezbollah are taking responsibility for these rockets launches.
There is no significance. ISIS or some small group will take responsibility for it whether they did it or not. HAMAS will not take responsibility for anything that emanates from Egypt as they are attempting to make some type of peace with Egypt. Hezbollah doesn't want their name associated anything that emanates from Egypt either. OTOH HAMAS will take responsibility for every attack on Israel from the West Bank as a they have a back door deal for Fatah (PLO) to be seen as political group only. Hezbollah will not take responsibility for attacks from Syria as they can't handle fighting a war on two fronts.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Well, Israel has every right to respond.

If I were a Israeli, I'd say to hell with two states, to hell with the Palestinians and Israel first.

The Palestinians should go to Jordan.
While OSLO exists the two state solution exists publicly on paper. The reality that no one wants to speak of is it doesn't exist while Hamas and Fatah hold power in their respective territories. There is too much money on the table for them to pocket thus there is no incentive for a two state solution to come into existence. The Palestinians can't go to Jordan as the Hashemite firstly don't want them there and secondly the UNRWA and UNHCR will not fund them there as per their own webpages 80% don't have refugee status (all the people from Syria do have refugee status and are thus funded by UNHCR, UNICEF, UN...) and thus no UN funding.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:22 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
It's covered here:http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News...sort-town.html

Not one word on CNN-not like that's a surprise. I'm sure it takes time to write a story that makes ISIS into "innocent Palestinian victims".

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 02-09-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 AM

While this isn't really the focus of this particular thread, it seems to me that a two state solution can never come to fruition when one 'wannabe state' refuses to even acknowledge the other (which is already a legitimate state) exists and then also refuses trying to stop pulverizing that non-existent (in their opinion) state into the ground, from the relative safety of their own 'really does not exist' state. No negotiations are even possible in this case unless Palestine (under Hamas leadership) stops with the 'all we want to do is annihilate Israel' stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies