Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

I just finished watching a video on YouTube which featured a Colombian immigrant in the nation of Chile complaining that she didn't have more rights than what the country granted her. She raved on about how Chile doesn't belong to Chileans, it belongs to anyone who sets foot in Chile and begins to work and pay for stuff there. She said that it can't belong to Chileans because it's a nation of immigrants and it truly belongs to the indigenous people who have lived there for thousands of years. She called the Chileans racist for not giving her more than what is owed to her, and she as a recent immigrant should have the same rights as a native born citizen. She told Chileans to get used to it cus she's not leaving and there are thousands more ready to come and enter, change the country and not adapt. I would post the video but it's only in Spanish.

Does this sound familiar? Aren't these the same talking points we hear about illegal immigrants here in the States by liberals and leftist activists? My point is that there is nothing unique about the situation happening in the United States. These issues happen everywhere around the world where immigrants come into a society and there are good and bad consequences. And it's not xenophobic to question whether certain elements of the arriving group are healthy for the country such as the increased crime, or lack of respect for the border laws, or the lowering of wages, etc. I don't get why it's racist to say that the tide of illegal immigration should be curbed because it's brought some unhealthy consequences with it?? I don't get why it's bad to say the US is for Americans first. Every country does it. Every country experiences this but for some reason whenever the American does it, they're racist, xenophobic, white nationalist, or whatever other slur the media wants to use to say Americans can't have a sovereign nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies