Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:07 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Probably because he was 30, attending Harvard Law School, and already working on his career. Most people don't enlist that late when they already have a plan for their life.

Even if there was a draft for the Gulf War, Obama wouldn't have been apart of it. Potential draftees were male residents of the United States between the ages of 18 and 25.

Sorry, can't keep track of which Clinton is being randomly brought up in threads.
So? What stopped him from serving when he was younger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 03:20 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
FIVE time draft dodger Donnie Little Hands, has no standing to denigrate ANY veteran, let along a POW.

Shame on him.

And the ironic thing: this a$$wipe will start an unnecessary war in which thousands of the sons and daughters of his supporters will come home in flag-draped caskets. Will those voters regret their votes then??

You nailed it!The more trump goes after McCain the worse he looks.It is fine to argue with the man about politics but about being in battle and a POW ,Trump needs to shut up.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:51 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The serious thing is that you are right...his swamp of a cabinet and the POS Bannon whispering in his ear are itching to start a war.
Ya know, you can have fun ridiculing his choices, but these are all well qualified, talented, and very experienced people who are good at what they do, and everyone agrees. That's one reason the Democrats don't like them, because they are powerful people, unlike the wimpy limp wrists and wet noodles that Obutthead had. If ever there was a "swamp," it was the Obama White House. Eric Holder? Loretta Lynch? Obama's puppet master, Valerie Jarrette? That whole damned team was as corrupt and ineffectual as they come. Oh, and let's not forget the poor excuse for Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, followed by one who is as limp wristed as they come, John (Heinz '57') Kerry, chief negotiator of that swell so-called Iran Deal. That's working out real well, isn't it?

Mr. Donald Trump is the President of the Unites States. Deal with it. He's already accomplished more meaningful things in three weeks than Obutthead did in eight long, nightmarish years.

And, by the way, that dumb ass judge and the 9th circuit court either don't know the law (and they surely don't know their place) or they don't care, because the law is crystal clear; Trump has the complete legal authority to say who gets to enter the United States, and who doesn't. It is his decision alone, not some activist judge's, who has stepped out of bounds and acted beyond his authority by questioning the President's motives and inserting himself in a position in which he doesn't belong, usurping the President's authority, and making judgments about which nations pose a threat and which don't.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:08 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Having something bad happen to you in your past does not excuse the rest of your actions for the rest of your life.
I find it hilarious that the same people here worshipping McCain today are some of the same ones who, less than eight years ago, couldn't think up enough negative stuff to say about him, accuse him of, and cute names (anyone remember "Gampy John") to call him

His military service and former POW service has zero to do with the issue of the Yemen raid.

Was the raid less precise than it could have been? Yes? Are the death of the SEAL and collateral civilian casualties tragic? Yes.

Military action is fluid and, unfortunately, sometimes doesn't work the way it did in the simulations.

His status as a former POW does not shield him from accountability today. An over the top analogy to use: ask Duke Cunningham (who I met and my brother flew with) if his status as a highly decorated Naval Aviator shielded him from accountability as a Congressman.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
What war would Obama have dodged the draft? He was 12 the last time anyone was drafted into war.

Women don't sign up for selected services, so not sure how Hillary could be a draft dodger...
Do you know how to read? Oh, wait ...no. You don't. Liberals can't read. I forgot. My question was, "Did he serve in the military?"

Was Hillary ever President? No, she wasn't. I was referring to Bill Clinton. Well, maybe you weren't born yet, so you wouldn't have known.

By the way, it is the "Selective Service," not 'selected services.'

Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Probably because he was 30, attending Harvard Law School, and already working on his career. Most people don't enlist that late when they already have a plan for their life.

Even if there was a draft for the Gulf War, Obama wouldn't have been apart of it. Potential draftees were male residents of the United States between the ages of 18 and 25.

Sorry, can't keep track of which Clinton is being randomly brought up in threads.
Gee, did Obama have a "career?" Is "Community Organizing" a "career?"

Obama had no career. He claimed he had been a "Constitutional Law Professor." That was a lie. He wasn't. He was a lecturer. He was never a professor. He also wasn't able to keep his law license. He and Michelle both lost their privileges to practice law (I forget the circumstances).

He was a 3rd rate Senator, rarely voted, and when he did, he voted "present." Never accomplished anything. I guess that's a career?

Obama had no distinguishing qualities. He was totally unqualified to be President, and was elected purely on the basis of the color of his skin ..."America's first black president." Swell.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:23 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
McCain has been through things that would have made most of us kill ourselves. While Donnie was living it up because his Daddy got him a deferment, McCain was serving our country, over and over again.

You Trumpees have NO room to discuss anything about war or serving America, after voting for someone who can't even remember what foot got him out of the service.

You guys are pathetic.

I learned about Sen McCain while in recruit training, and yes he is a national war hero.

No one can deny that.

But he has been in DC for far too long and has lost his way.

As for discussing "anything about war or serving America", the Viet Nam, Dessert Storm, Iraq-Afghan War veterans I know all voted for Trump.

Most of the poor/working-class guys who end up fighting rich people's wars while under the command of a corrupted and self-serving federal government are reluctant to go and for good reason.

Now, well into my fifties, I don't expect to see the day when our poor and working-class young men are deemed too valuable to be fed into a war machine that exists only to serve its own nefarious purposes.

For me, a former marine, it is enough that Trump values the lives of young men not born into privilege because that is at least a step in the right direction.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
FIVE time draft dodger Donnie Little Hands, has no standing to denigrate ANY veteran, let along a POW.

Shame on him.

And the ironic thing: this a$$wipe will start an unnecessary war in which thousands of the sons and daughters of his supporters will come home in flag-draped caskets. Will those voters regret their votes then??

What's with this "Donnie Little Hands" crap? Is that supposed to be some sort of insult? He doesn't have little hands. He has large hands.

If there is any new war (other than the one we've been pretending to fight for the last eight years), it will have been Obama's making, because he is the one that created the mess that Donald Trump must clean up in order to make America safe again. Just look at the situation in the Middle East today, compared to what it was eight years ago. That shows us what a disaster the Obama presidency has been.

And then we have the so-called "Iran Deal." You leftist complain that Trump is "making nice" to Putin, and ignore Obama's "making nice" to evil regimes like Iran (and let's not forget Cuba). There seems to be a double standard.

I'd rather we be on speaking terms with Putin than any of these other evil people. At least we have a common goal with Putin, to wipe out ISIS (we should wipe out all of Islam!).

Old 02-10-2017, 04:43 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Some people criticize – non-stop. They pick out problems. They always have a “better” way – or at least they think. But oftentimes, you never hear the better way or a solution – just critique.

McCain sounds like that.

About Vietnam war, well, Some men supported the war and served in it; they made an honorable choice. Some men did not support the war, but served anyway, as they felt an obligation to obey the law; they made an honorable choice. Some men did not support the war, and refused service by leaving the country; they made an honorable choice. Some men did not support the war, and refused service, opening themselves to prosecution; they made an honorable choice. Some men did not support the war and were able to obtain student deferments; they made an honorable choice. Some men did not support the war and chose to serve in the National Guard; they made an honorable choice.

The Vietnam era was a complicated one that left many men conflicted. i don't judge any of them.

Hero or no hero, I think we all have our personal definition. I'll just leave it at that. I will give the credit where credit is due, but I reserve my right to feel uncomfortable about McCain's character.

Putting people on a pedestal is a great thing when they deserve to be there. Recognizing and appreciating all that someone is, all they have done for you is important and the hallmark of true character. However, there can be some negative consequences to the pedestal phenomenon.

McCain has been a powerful man for a very very VERY long time, I think he is a WAR hero, but he is also part of the problem, he doesn't seem to be part of the solution. He has his right criticizing Trump, but it is getting pretty old that he is only capable of criticizing. Move on already.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I find it hilarious that the same people here worshipping McCain today are some of the same ones who, less than eight years ago, couldn't think up enough negative stuff to say about him, accuse him of, and cute names (anyone remember "Gampy John") to call him

His military service and former POW service has zero to do with the issue of the Yemen raid.

Was the raid less precise than it could have been? Yes? Are the death of the SEAL and collateral civilian casualties tragic? Yes.
If Trump was actually smart would he have been pulling our military out rather planning new attacks? Yes.

Quote:
Military action is fluid and, unfortunately, sometimes doesn't work the way it did in the simulations.
It has't been working the last 15 years.

Quote:
His status as a former POW does not shield him from accountability today. An over the top analogy to use: ask Duke Cunningham (who I met and my brother flew with) if his status as a highly decorated Naval Aviator shielded him from accountability as a Congressman.
Keeping us in these stupid wars isn't going to shield Trump from earned condemnations either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies