Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 06:49 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
That is the most insane and illogical thing I've seen in this thread.
I agree. I appreciate your posts in this thread.

I wish lefties would just stick to stating that they know it's labor market manipulation and has ill effects on both workers and business but they don't care because they're uneducated on the details and are resolutely in favor of feel-good egalitarian regulations and aren't concerned with any harm they may cause... instead of trying to do dishonest sales jobs and lying to our faces about facts and reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 06:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I agree. I appreciate your posts in this thread.

I wish lefties would just stick to stating that they know it's labor market manipulation and has ill effects on both workers and business but they don't care because they're uneducated on the details and are resolutely in favor of feel-good egalitarian regulations and aren't concerned with any harm they may cause... instead of trying to do dishonest sales jobs and lying to our faces about facts and reality.
Really, because according to your ideas, everytime minimum wage goes up, every minimum wage employee as well as every employee under the new minimum wage should lose their job rather than get the new minimum. And evidence points in contrary to that assertion. Here in AZ, our minimum wage just went up from $8.05/hr to $10/hr in a phase up to $12/hr by 2020, and my fiance who was making $9.50/hr at her part time job, did not lose her job as you and KS Referee think she should have. She still has her job, hours weren't cut and is now making $10/hr.

Oh, one more hole to poke in that theory, California has a higher minimum wage than AZ, but when I order Dominos out there, for example, I still pay the exact same price I paid in AZ (usually get the medium 2 topping and cheese bread for $5.99 each)

Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
A 90% tax on incomes that are the top 1% and 2% is EXACTLY what Bernie Sanders was advocating.
Why do you lie? Here he is saying that NO, he does NOT advocate going back to the 90% tax rates under the Republican Eisenhower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui-fHDUnZDg

Old 02-11-2017, 07:02 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Really, because according to your ideas, everytime minimum wage goes up, every minimum wage employee as well as every employee under the new minimum wage should lose their job rather than get the new minimum. And evidence points in contrary to that assertion. Here in AZ, our minimum wage just went up from $8.05/hr to $10/hr in a phase up to $12/hr by 2020, and my fiance who was making $9.50/hr at her part time job, did not lose her job as you and KS Referee think she should have. She still has her job, hours weren't cut and is now making $10/hr.

Oh, one more hole to poke in that theory, California has a higher minimum wage than AZ, but when I order Dominos out there, for example, I still pay the exact same price I paid in AZ (usually get the medium 2 topping and cheese bread for $5.99 each)

The harm doesn't happen to each and everyone in all circumstances. None the less, the government's interference/manipulation of the market harms to majority.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
The harm doesn't happen to each and everyone in all circumstances. None the less, the government's interference/manipulation of the market harms to majority.
It helps someone to not have to work for $2/hr, which is just short of slave labor and is in fact exploitation

Old 02-11-2017, 07:08 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Why do you lie? Here he is saying that NO, he does NOT advocate going back to the 90% tax rates under the Republican Eisenhower:

Maybe I misunderstood Bernie. Here is what he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPaLTFF5iLM

Old 02-11-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

When the minimum wage almost doubled in one year in 1950, the unemployment rate when down from 5.3% to 3.3%. These right wingers live in fact free worlds. In Denmark, McDonalds workers make $17 an hour and have 1 year paid family leave and 5 weeks paid vacation time. More people work there than in America.

Here is a mythbuster from the Department of Labor regarding the minimum wage. Everyone should read it.

https://www.dol.gov/featured/minimum-wage/mythbuster

Old 02-11-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood Bernie. Here is what he said.
Yes, you obviously were lazy and decided to lie instead of looking up the facts about what he proposed. Its a shame. We need MORE facts. Less lies! This should be a given.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:16 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yeah - this is the result of forcing wage requirements on employers. They have to make adjustments to stay afloat, or they close up shop.

Nothing earth shattering... just the results of bad policy.
One of two things has to happen: 1. Raise the minimum wage or 2. Put a price cap on the cost of living. Which means forcing landlords not to charge rent above a certain amount, forcing grocery stores not to price each food item over a certain amount, forcing various retailers, fast food places, everything that costs money to really not charge over a certain amount for certain things.

It's easier to just raise the minimum wage.

The alternative would be to scrap the minimum wage altogether. By doing that, it will instantly become an EMPLOYEES market instead of an employers market. The potential employee will have more power to dictate their wages.
That may make some sense... BUT.........We'll need to remove the vast majority of illegal aliens FIRST so they don't poison that well also.

Last edited by Rkstar71; 02-11-2017 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-11-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
One of two things has to happen: 1. Raise the minimum wage or 2. Put a price cap on the cost of living. Which means forcing landlirds not to charge rent above a certain amount, forcing grocery stores not to price each food item over a certain amount, forcing various retailers, fast food places, everything that costs money to really not charge over a certain amount for certain things.

It's easier to just raise the minimum wage.

The alternative would be to scrap the minimum wage altogether. By doing that, it will instantly become an EMPLOYEES market instead of an employers market. The potential employee will have more power to dictate their wages.
That makes sense BUT.........We'll need to remove the vast majority of illegal aliens FIRST so they don't poison that well also.
A very low minimum wage or no minimum wage attracts lots of people from the third world to America because very simple, manual tasks will not be automated and employers with enormous power in DC will make sure immigration stays at high levels to man the terrible drudgery jobs. A high minimum wage and investing in education is good for technological progress and good for American workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies