Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:39 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,553,279 times

Advertisements

Right on target. Seriously, people, those who find themselves repeatedly having to find excuses for every demonstrably looney thing Trump does or says, have a little soul-searching to do. I know it's fun to throw caution to the wind and get swept up in the gleefully destructive chaos of a mob mentality. But . . . seriously.

Andrew Sullivan: The Madness of King Donald

Last edited by OrganicSmallHome; 02-10-2017 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 01:41 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Right on target. Seriously, people, those who find themselves repeatedly having to find excuses for every demonstrablylooney thing Trump does or says, have a little soul-searching to do. I know it's fun to throw caution to the wind and get swept up in the gleefully destructive chaos of a mob mentality. But . . . seriously.

LOL, great read . Thanks.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
From the link...

Quote:
Here is what we are supposed to do: rebut every single lie. Insist moreover that each lie is retracted — and journalists in press conferences should back up their colleagues with repeated follow-ups if Spicer tries to duck the plain truth. Do not allow them to move on to another question. Interviews with the president himself should not leave a lie alone; the interviewer should press and press and press until the lie is conceded. The press must not be afraid of even calling the president a liar to his face if he persists.
The media gave this birther con man billions of dollars of free publicity and air time ad nauseam and I think that they need to make up for that HUGE mistake by proving that facts matter and hold this grifter's feet to the fire.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
From the link...

The media gave this birther con man billions of dollars of free publicity and air time ad nauseam and I think that they need to make up for that HUGE mistake by proving that facts matter and hold this grifter's feet to the fire.
Now THAT is the truth. The media is fully responsible for granting Trump respectability when he deserved none; for placidly standing by and refusing to challenge him in the early days of the campaign because they did not want to ruffle feathers - essentially they abdicated their responsibilities as journalists. He pretty much got a free pass on the stuff that really mattered.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:55 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,639,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
From the link...

I completely agree, wish I could rep more of your posts.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:00 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Right on target. Seriously, people, those who find themselves repeatedly having to find excuses for every demonstrablylooney thing Trump does or says, have a little soul-searching to do. I know it's fun to throw caution to the wind and get swept up in the gleefully destructive chaos of a mob mentality. But . . . seriously.

This is a great read.

"the kind of bald-faced lies that authoritarians issue as a way to test loyalty and force their subjects into submission. That first press conference when Sean Spicer was sent out to lie and fulminate to the press about the inauguration crowd reminded me of some Soviet apparatchik having his loyalty tested to see if he could repeat in public what he knew to be false. It was comical, but also faintly chilling."

"What are we supposed to do with this? How are we to respond to a president who in the same week declared that the “murder rate in our country is the highest it’s been in 45 to 47 years,” when, of course, despite some recent, troubling spikes in cities, it’s nationally near a low not seen since the late 1960s, and half what it was in 1980."

"What are we supposed to do when a president says that two people were shot dead in Chicago during President Obama’s farewell address — when this is directly contradicted by the Chicago police?"

"None of this, moreover, is ever corrected. No error is ever admitted. Any lie is usually doubled down by another lie — along with an ad hominem attack."

Yowza!

He puts to words to exactly what many of us have been struggling with.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-10-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 02:01 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times
Yes, the media built him up; and the media shall take him down.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:

I skipped the article knowing that if the person writing it didn't realize that we elected a President and don't have a king here, that it wouldn't be worth my time.

I am just sure that you remember the campaign season and "excuses", oh boy, I know your candidate had excuses, no that was lies, something different.

So, this Andrew Sullivan thinks we have a King? What school of higher education did he attend?

Old 02-10-2017, 02:06 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Now THAT is the truth. The media is fully responsible for granting Trump respectability when he deserved none; for placidly standing by and refusing to challenge him in the early days of the campaign because they did not want to ruffle feathers - essentially they abdicated their responsibilities as journalists. He pretty much got a free pass on the stuff that really mattered.
Absolutely! That debacle gave me the final push I needed to cut the cable TV cord. I was disgusted at the amount of coverage that an idiot liar was garnering and that no one called him out on his obvious bull-****.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:08 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,553,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I skipped the article knowing that if the person writing it didn't realize that we elected a President and don't have a king here, that it wouldn't be worth my time.

I am just sure that you remember the campaign season and "excuses", oh boy, I know your candidate had excuses, no that was lies, something different.

So, this Andrew Sullivan thinks we have a King? What school of higher education did he attend?
Of course you didn't read it. Which speaks volumes about the fragility of the reality of Trump supporters.

Sullivan is a well-respected long-time conservative, seriously Catholic political commentator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies