Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:57 PM

763 posts, read 379,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Didn't they just elect Jim Justice (Big Coal) governor??

Though he did rescue the Greenbriar, I'll give him that.

I agree with most of what you said but I sure do miss pepperoni rolls and Italian bread fresh from the bakery.

WV also has a massive inferiority complex which leads to an 'us against the rest of the world' kind of mentality.
I agree, but that exists because of all the negative things that are said about West Virginia.

I like living here and would never want to live in a big city. There are a ton of outdoor things to do near me. If you aren't into that stuff, you won't like it here.

I will admit that there aren't many good paying jobs here, but they do exist; I am fortunate enough to have one.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
WV is a heavily polluted state from the coal industry. Especially the water.
Wrong. West Virginia has many forests which keep the air cleaner. Been there and the air is clean.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Love how liberals mock Mississippi and West Virginia but at least they have mortgages paid and hardly any property tax.
I fall squarely in that category. We are both retired salesmen. Our homes are paid for (2 are rented out), our property taxes are 900/year.
We have five different income streams and make about $1200 a month more than we need.

I have traveled all over the US and lived in most corners - Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Atlanta, Huntsville, Texas.

But yes, we do have some meatheads who absolutely will not be educated. Mississippi is actually 46th in educational spending. Other states which spend less are OK, AZ, ID and UT.
Education Spending Per Student by State

Old 02-10-2017, 08:06 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So what? You know anything about economics? Things like supply and demand? CA would not be expensive if it were not desirable. Same goes for any other expensive place.

On the flip side, have you ever been to MS or WV? They are both redneck hellholes worse than the state I currently reside in, AL. Here in AL, we simply say, "Thank God for Mississippi!". (Because they are worse than us, get it?) So if you want redneck culture, junk sitting in people's front yards, a whole bunch of single wide trailers, and similar things, then head on over to MS or WV!
Sounds like South Carolina to me.

Been in WV and saw parks and nice homes. No trashy neighborhoods, must have been in the good part.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:46 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to admit I have spent much time in Rural America but also much time in places like California and Colorado which are filled with overwhelmed people trying to live a millionaires lifestyle at the end of the day.

But at the end of the day, people in West Virginia have a non-existent commute, very little pollution, low electric bills from all the coal and most of them have houses paid off with hardly any property taxes.

Love seeing the 91 from Riverside into Orange County at 5am packed with miles long traffic jams as West Virginians will be in bed for a couple more hours with their non-existent commutes

California chasing fantasies by either paying a million plus for a small house or commuting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours each way thinking that they will all be rich executives some day.

2,100 median mortgage payment in California, 900 in West Virginia

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

72% own houses in WV compared to 53% in California

39% pay more then 30% income mortgage in California compared to 21% in West Virginia

I can say whatever I want about Mississippi because I was born there and most of my relatives live there. It's the poorest state in the country and it's run by republicans. Alabama and Louisiana are also poor and run by republicans. What the heck are the governors doing about providing jobs there.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:47 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I can say whatever I want about Mississippi because I was born there and most of my relatives live there. It's the poorest state in the country and it's run by republicans. Alabama and Louisiana are also poor and run by republicans. What the heck are the governors doing about providing jobs there.
Those states used to vote Democrat for a long time.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Yeah say what you want about those states -- but let's talk about some of the issues the residents don't like.

Shaking my head

Old 02-10-2017, 08:51 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Those states used to vote Democrat for a long time.
It's been quite a few years since Mississippi had a democrat as governor.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:53 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
People who try and demean others for where they live wherever it may be are insecure with themselves IMO. It's so stupid. I live in WV, I love the idea that waiting two lights is considered a traffic jam. That I can go somewhere and not worry about locking my house up. I know people at work who leave their car keys in their cars in the parking lot.

I don't demean those who want to live elsewhere. California is a beautiful and interesting state. It has it's problem and WV has it's problems, just like anywhere. I grew up on Lake Erie and still love going there. To me there are few things more beautiful than a sunset on Lake Erie. Being older now, I can do without the snow.

I don't understand why people do this.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to admit I have spent much time in Rural America but also much time in places like California and Colorado which are filled with overwhelmed people trying to live a millionaires lifestyle at the end of the day.

But at the end of the day, people in West Virginia have a non-existent commute, very little pollution, low electric bills from all the coal and most of them have houses paid off with hardly any property taxes.

Love seeing the 91 from Riverside into Orange County at 5am packed with miles long traffic jams as West Virginians will be in bed for a couple more hours with their non-existent commutes

California chasing fantasies by either paying a million plus for a small house or commuting in bumper to bumper traffic for hours each way thinking that they will all be rich executives some day.

2,100 median mortgage payment in California, 900 in West Virginia

72% own houses in WV compared to 53% in California

39% pay more then 30% income mortgage in California compared to 21% in West Virginia

Are you seriously comparing California to West Virginia or a small town to the 2nd largest city in the country? Really? In WV I have the option of working at Walmart but, oh snap, that closed down. My other option is... umm, well, I can apply for Federal help. Also, my dad has black lung disease from working in the coal mines. Oh snap, the republicans are going to repeal Obamacare and daddy just lost his insurance. But hey, I can drive down our local highway at "rush hour" but there is no traffic. Well, there is never any traffic...

I want these people to be able to live proud lives so I don't look down on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.