Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:17 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,650,324 times

Advertisements

I've been in West Virginia quite a bit. I like the Eastern Panhandle area, but then that is really like being in Virginia/Maryland.

But I have relatives in the coal country south of Charleston and that is a horse of a different color. High unemployment and poverty, meth problems and most of all what seems to be a total feeling of depression. Any hope of a better future is pinned on coal returning to it's former glory with all the jobs and that isn't going to happen.

Only reason the relatives stay there is they are the big fish in a stagnant pond, so for them it is not so bad as for the regular folks.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:23 PM

1,896 posts, read 810,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Those states used to vote Democrat for a long time.
That means nothing. A southern democrat was conservative.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:38 PM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
West Virginia...Almost Heaven...but, don't drink the water.
Yes there was that spill one time, which I was personally affected, by but disasters and accidents happen anywhere.

I know people here in WV who have lived in California, specifically Los Angeles and mentioned how worse their asthma had gotten and how toxic the air is.

California is also overrun with crime and illegal immigrant gangs. Cities like Los Angeles and Oakland are war zones with even smaller cities like Stockton affected. Illegal immigrants openly flaunt the law and know nothing will be done about it while they overload California's hospitals, law enforcement, schools (where they demand bilingual education and in-state tuition using taxes they didn't pay.)

West Virginia has a very friendly and laid back lifestyle. In LA everyone is rude and always in a hurry and that traffic and crime and the elitist attitude and plastic lifestyle where you must wear the most expensive, newest fashions and drive the fanciest cars can't be good for mental health either. I'm perfectly fine sitting around a bonfire, drinking Coors Light in a local tavern, watching cars race on the local dirt track, going to church every Sunday and going 4 wheeling and shooting in the holler, while I still have good restaurants including all the major national chains and good locally owned places within 30 minutes of my house.

I don't have to worry about violent crime, illegal alien gangs, ghetto rioting like I did when I lived in the Baltimore, Maryland area. Los Angeles felt even worse than Baltimore. Both LA and Oakland are Third World cities where illegal immigrants have imported the violent cultures of Mexico and Central America. Here our police have good relations with the community and they are part of our community. Yes I guess they profile cars and individuals from certain states but the truth is you see a car with Michigan or Illinois plates in the more rural parts of WV with gangster looking inside 9 times out of 10 times they are here to sell drugs. Kids here are still raised with respect while in California and the NOrtheast young people are either plastics or they're wannabe thugs and gangsters.

And as a minority whose parents came here LEGALLY yes I am more comfortable living in my semi-rural community in West Virginia where we fly the Confederate flag than I am in California, where it is very racially polarized and segregated, where everyone expects you to act a certain way because of your ethnic background, where people bring their old hatreds and prejudices with them from the old country and keep them (like how the Muslim immigrants hate Jews, women, and gays and how Mexican people hate whites and black people). Because I was born in America, nobody here thinks twice about me listening to country music, being a Christian, supporting Donald Trump or enjoying shooting guns and going to stock car races. But everyone I've met from California thinks its weird that I'm like this. They think I am not "Asian enough"- I most often get this from blacks and Hispanics more so than Asian Americans to be honest. In liberal America especially on the West Coast it seems race and ethnicity are people's primary identity and everything should be defined by these things.

Southern California to me is the most racist, segregated and polarized place I have been to in the nation. The white middle class liberals in California support illegals and refugees but would never actually associate with these people other than hiring an illegal so they can pay them below minimum wage.

Oh yes, and we also don't have earthquakes that can destroy our house at any time with no warning, neither do we have wildfires on a yearly basis......

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 02-10-2017 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 09:41 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,870,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
WV is a heavily polluted state from the coal industry. Especially the water.
The Resurgence Of Black Lung In Appalachia | Here & Now

It gets better.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:48 PM

Smile!
Which States Have the Worst Oral Health? - 1Dental.com Blog

Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes there was that spill one time, which I was personally affected, by disasters and accidents happen anywhere.

I know people here in WV who have lived in California, specifically Los Angeles and mentioned how worse their asthma had gotten and how toxic the air is.

California is also overrun with crime and illegal immigrant gangs. Cities like Los Angeles and Oakland are war zones with even smaller cities like Stockton affected. Illegal immigrants openly flaunt the law and know nothing will be done about it while they overload California's hospitals, law enforcement, schools (where they demand bilingual education and in-state tuition using taxes they didn't pay.)

West Virginia has a very friendly and laid back lifestyle. In LA everyone is rude and always in a hurry and that traffic and crime and the elitist attitude and plastic lifestyle where you must wear the most expensive, newest fashions and drive the fanciest cars can't be good for mental health either. I'm perfectly fine sitting around a bonfire, drinking Coors Light in a local tavern, watching cars race on the local dirt track, going to church every Sunday and going 4 wheeling and shooting in the holler, while I still have good restaurants including all the major national chains and good locally owned places within 30 minutes of my house.

I don't have to worry about violent crime, illegal alien gangs, ghetto rioting like I did when I lived in the Baltimore, Maryland area. Los Angeles felt even worse than Baltimore. Both LA and Oakland are Third World cities where illegal immigrants have imported the violent cultures of Mexico and Central America. Here our police have good relations with the community and they are part of our community. Yes I guess they profile cars and individuals from certain states but the truth is you see a car with Michigan or Illinois plates in the more rural parts of WV with gangster looking inside 9 times out of 10 times they are here to sell drugs. Kids here are still raised with respect while in California and the NOrtheast young people are either plastics or they're wannabe thugs and gangsters.

And as a minority whose parents came here LEGALLY yes I am more comfortable living in my semi-rural community in West Virginia where we fly the Confederate flag than I am in California, where it is very racially polarized and segregated, where everyone expects you to act a certain way because of your ethnic background, where people bring their old hatreds and prejudices with them from the old country and keep them (like how the Muslim immigrants hate Jews, women, and gays and how Mexican people hate whites and black people). Because I was born in America, nobody here thinks twice about me listening to country music, being a Christian, supporting Donald Trump or enjoying shooting guns and going to stock car races. But everyone I've met from California thinks its weird that I'm like this. They think I am not "Asian enough"- I most often get this from blacks and Hispanics more so than Asian Americans to be honest. In liberal America especially on the West Coast it seems race and ethnicity are people's primary identity and everything should be defined by these things.

Southern California to me is the most racist, segregated and polarized place I have been to in the nation. The white middle class liberals in California support illegals and refugees but would never actually associate with these people other than hiring an illegal so they can pay them below minimum wage.

Oh yes, and we also don't have earthquakes that can destroy our house at any time with no warning, neither do we have wildfires on a yearly basis......
https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic...6/overview.htm

Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 PM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
The economic issues we face here in West Virginia are due mostly to the war on coal and the EPA regulations passed by national Democrats despite the lack of clear evidence from global warming (schools teach an agenda and only the data that supports that agenda). Many of our towns had much higher populations before and some people have had to leave the state, where their families have lived for generations,to find work. Sometimes they go to a place like Atlanta, Charlotte or DC and find all blue collar jobs are all taken by illegal immigrants.

Most of the drugs that do come here first cross the Mexican border, and are distributed by gangsters from the big cities like Chicago and Detroit. What crime and violence that occurs here in WV is usually caused by outside criminals from other states.

There are several major coal mines in the county I live in. There are coal mines a mere 15 minute drive from the WV state capitol building and coal barges pass on the river in front of it every day. We know which side our bread is buttered. We also understand the trickle down effects on the economy when well paid coal miners lose their jobs. Liberals claim natural gas is putting coal out of business but they hate natural gas too. They are always complaining about fracking which occurs in the northern part of WV and provides many jobs.

If Al Gore had not been so radical about global warming and more centrist on social issues he may have won WV over George W. Bush, and had that happened the Florida recount wouldn't even have mattered. Politicians ignore coal country at their own peril. It was the votes in southern Ohio and western Pennsylvania that flipped those states for Trump. The ghetto people in Cleveland and Philly still voted Democrat as did the liberal elites in cities just like they've always done, but there was a huge turnout in southern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. While Virginia seems Democrat now on the national level because of the transplants and illegals in the DC suburbs, the coal counties send a lot of Republican to the state legislature.

And most coal miners do want to get back to work vs just depend on welfare like illegal aliens and the ghetto people in Detroit and Harlem. The culture of welfare that is so accepted in the inner cities is still considered quite shameful here in rural America.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:39 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
The economic issues we face here in West Virginia are due mostly to the war on coal and the EPA regulations passed by national Democrats despite the lack of clear evidence from global warming (schools teach an agenda and only the data that supports that agenda). Many of our towns had much higher populations before and some people have had to leave the state, where their families have lived for generations,to find work. Sometimes they go to a place like Atlanta, Charlotte or DC and find all blue collar jobs are all taken by illegal immigrants.

Most of the drugs that do come here first cross the Mexican border, and are distributed by gangsters from the big cities like Chicago and Detroit. What crime and violence that occurs here in WV is usually caused by outside criminals from other states.
What drugs are you talking about. From what I've read it's an opiod problem.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:06 AM

1,896 posts, read 810,598 times
Quote:
Coal employment peaked in the 80s. Technology produced more coal using less people like every other industry.

When you put a price on pollution, natural gas beats coal. Combine that was shale technology and coal is destined to lose market share. There's no war on coal, the world is less willingly to subsidize pollution and coal becomes more expensive.

Quote:
Opiods are American made. Meth was American made but our disastrous war on drugs moved production into Mexico by the cartels. Prohibition only strengthens organized crime, not sure why we still can't accept this.

Quote:
There are several major coal mines in the county I live in. There are coal mines a mere 15 minute drive from the WV state capitol building and coal barges pass on the river in front of it every day. We know which side our bread is buttered. We also understand the trickle down effects on the economy when well paid coal miners lose their jobs. Liberals claim natural gas is putting coal out of business but they hate natural gas too. They are always complaining about fracking which occurs in the northern part of WV and provides many jobs.

If Al Gore had not been so radical about global warming and more centrist on social issues he may have won WV over George W. Bush, and had that happened the Florida recount wouldn't even have mattered. Politicians ignore coal country at their own peril. It was the votes in southern Ohio and western Pennsylvania that flipped those states for Trump. The ghetto people in Cleveland and Philly still voted Democrat as did the liberal elites in cities just like they've always done, but there was a huge turnout in southern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. While Virginia seems Democrat now on the national level because of the transplants and illegals in the DC suburbs, the coal counties send a lot of Republican to the state legislature.
WV was/is a one trick pony economically. That's on you and your state for not changing with the times. Tennessee and Kentucky did and they are states with a lot of manufacturing, especially Tennessee. Investment in education and the right to work paid off well for Tennessee. Why couldn't WV grab the auto industry like Tenn did?

Quote:
And most coal miners do want to get back to work vs just depend on welfare like illegal aliens and the ghetto people in Detroit and Harlem. The culture of welfare that is so accepted in the inner cities is still considered quite shameful here in rural America.
Yet a higher % of rural residents are on welfare compared to their urban counterparts.

Coal workers need to switch fields and move to where the jobs are. This is the history of America, going to where the jobs are. Can't expect the world to stay static for any industry.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:14 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Yeah, but how many of those Mississippians and West Virginians still have their own natural teeth?

West Virginia ranks dead last in the percentage of older residents who still have their own teeth. Mississippi ranks #48.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-health/31498/

I prefer being around healthy, educated people who still have most of their teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.