Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 03:33 PM

2,622 posts, read 1,345,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Much of what Lincoln did was illegal, including freeing the slaves. He discriminated because he only said slavery was illegal in 7 states.
It wasn't discrimination because technically the Emancipation Proclamation was a war measure aimed at the South. The slaves were legally property that was being used in the interest of furthering the Southern economy and hence it's war effort...therefore they were war contraband that could be seized....or freed.
The Emancipation Proclamation didn't end slavery or say it was illegal...it's legal premise actually rested on the fact that the slaves were...in point of law...property that could be seized as contraband...the Thirteenth Amendment did the job of declaring it to be illegal.
The seven states affected were affected because they were the ones still actively engaged in treason at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 03:34 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,416,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Lincoln and the Writ of Liberty - Constitutional Rights Foundation

The actual right of habeas corpus is not stated anywhere in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. The authors of these documents apparently believed that habeas corpus was such a fundamental liberty that it needed no further guarantee in writing. The only mention of the writ of habeas corpus in the Constitution relates to when it can be taken away from judges. In a section limiting the powers of Congress (Art. I, Sec. 9), the Constitution states: "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in causes of rebellion or invasion of the public safety may require it."

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2004/01/...a-fabrication/

An arrest warrant, signed by President Abraham Lincoln, in the early days of his administration. The warrant was to arrest the Chief Justice of the United States, Roger B. Taney, following his opinion in the case of Ex parte Merryman (May, 1861).

Not just a Judge ... The friggin Chief Justice. Friggin Balls.
And not a single person was willing to arrest the justice and Lincoln kept his mouth shut about it. Even during the Civil War no one wanted to make the president a dictator.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,242,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Last time I checked, Lincoln was at war......!

aren't we at war with radical Muslims?.............they say there are 1.3 billion Muslims around the world, 30% MIN. hate Americans and want to kill us.....that's 300 million radicals that want to kill Americans min......that's almost the whole U.S. population.

How many people were in the confederate south? not even half of 300 million, not even 50 million.....and they didn't want to invade the North and kill Americans in the North for just being Americans , they wanted to be independent and the war was fought in the South and the moment their cause was lost they accepted peace........try that with these radical Muslims.

see the difference?

Old 02-11-2017, 03:55 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
aren't we at war with radical Muslims?.............they say there are 1.3 billion Muslims around the world, 30% MIN. hate Americans and want to kill us.....that's 300 million radicals that want to kill Americans min......that's almost the whole U.S. population.

How many people were in the confederate south? not even half of 300 million, not even 50 million.....and they didn't want to invade the North and kill Americans in the North for just being Americans , they wanted to be independent and the war was fought in the South and the moment their cause was lost they accepted peace........try that with these radical Muslims.

see the difference?
They accepted peace? Really?

As I remember it, they TERRORIZED their black citizens for the next one hundred years.

That's accepting peace?

Old 02-11-2017, 04:40 PM

33,507 posts, read 18,059,857 times
Did you listen to the arguments of those 3 judges? No wonder we are in big trouble. We have nitwits as judges today.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:30 PM

22,620 posts, read 24,466,288 times
Judges are human.......of course they can act in a manner that is motivated by things other than the letter of the law.

So if a Judge gets too far out of line, they should be called for it, removed if necessary.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:38 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,858,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The end justifies the means. Sacrifice the few for the good of the many. Etc.

None of these hypocrites around here really care. Lincoln is their hero. He saved the union don't you know.
I thought Lincoln was a Republican with a capital R? Since you right-wingers constantly claim him as such to make some point. Now you want to eject him?

Old 02-11-2017, 05:41 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,737,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Lincoln and the Writ of Liberty - Constitutional Rights Foundation

The actual right of habeas corpus is not stated anywhere in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. The authors of these documents apparently believed that habeas corpus was such a fundamental liberty that it needed no further guarantee in writing. The only mention of the writ of habeas corpus in the Constitution relates to when it can be taken away from judges. In a section limiting the powers of Congress (Art. I, Sec. 9), the Constitution states: "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in causes of rebellion or invasion of the public safety may require it."

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2004/01/...a-fabrication/

An arrest warrant, signed by President Abraham Lincoln, in the early days of his administration. The warrant was to arrest the Chief Justice of the United States, Roger B. Taney, following his opinion in the case of Ex parte Merryman (May, 1861).

Not just a Judge ... The friggin Chief Justice. Friggin Balls.
Let me stop you right here. Trump is no president Lincoln!

Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 PM

14,856 posts, read 8,173,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I thought Lincoln was a Republican with a capital R? Since you right-wingers constantly claim him as such to make some point. Now you want to eject him?
I wouldn't really consider myself a Republican. Though, I would actually consider Abraham Lincoln to be a Republican.

Lincoln was just a Nationalist, an economic-protectionist, and was hugely pro-business(IE a corporatist). He and Trump actually have quite a bit in common.

With that said, I've spent most of the last ~8 years complaining about what a scumbag Abraham Lincoln is. Which might give you some insight into into how I feel about Trump, our government, and the Democratic Party.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:53 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Let me stop you right here. Trump is no president Lincoln!
Was that the point? Is that what you took from the statement of fact?
The point that you do not want to accept is, Trump has all the powers Lincoln had at his disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies