Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 01:33 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I didn't write the law, but it's not hard to find out what it is so please don't argue about it with me.

Unlawful Presence Is Not a Crime

Some may assume that all immigrants who are in the United States without legal status must have committed improper entry. This simply isn't the case. Many foreign nationals legally enter the country on a valid work or travel visa, but fail to exit before their visa expires for a variety of reasons.

But mere unlawful presence in the country is not a crime. It is a violation of federal immigration law to remain in the country without legal authorization, but this violation is punishable by civil penalties, not criminal. Chief among these civil penalties is deportation or removal, where an unlawful resident may be detained and removed from the country. Unlawful presence can also have negative consequences for a resident who may seek to gain re-entry into the United States, or permanent residency.

- See more at: Is Illegal Immigration a Crime? Improper Entry v. Unlawful Presence - FindLaw Blotter
To your point a expired Visa and work permits are grounds for deportation period. These Illegal need to deported as quickly as possible. In many other countries one end up in a prison until they get rid of you!

Crossing a International Border Illegal is still a crime.
As Trump deports and enforces the law many will self deport.

It time American comes First.

Illegal Immigration is a Crime. Each year the Border Patrol apprehends hundreds of thousands of aliens who flagrantly violate our nation's laws by unlawfully crossing U.S. borders. Such illegal entry is a misdemeanor, and, if repeated after being deported, becomes punishable as a felony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 01:35 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Problem is that Democrats don't see being Illegal as a crime in itself, or they make excuses about what justifies a serious enough crime to be deported.
Remember just last week with Deblasio saying DUI wasn't a serious crime?
De Blasio Slammed For Characterizing Drunken Driving As Minor Offense « CBS New York
Being illegal is not a crime, but it is cause for deportation. And DUI is not a serious crime, it's not considered a serious crime in any state so I'm not sure where you are going with that.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
To your point a expired Visa and work permits are grounds for deportation period. These Illegal need to deported as quickly as possible. In many other countries one end up in a prison until they get rid of you!
Crossing a International Border Illegal is still a crime.
As Trump deports and enforces the law many will self deport.
It time American comes First.
Illegal Immigration is a Crime. Each year the Border Patrol apprehends hundreds of thousands of aliens who flagrantly violate our nation's laws by unlawfully crossing U.S. borders. Such illegal entry is a misdemeanor, and, if repeated after being deported, becomes punishable as a felony.
Why are you repeating what I just posted? I have no idea what point you are trying to make but to avoid having to continue going over this, let's see if we can agree on some basics:
  • It is not a crime to be in the US illegally, it is a civil offense punishable by a fine
  • It is a misdemeanor to illegally enter the US
  • A person in the US without authorization can be deported
  • If a person makes repeated attempts to enter the US without they can be charged with a felony

Old 02-12-2017, 03:02 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
I didn't write the law, but it's not hard to find out what it is so please don't argue about it with me.

Unlawful Presence Is Not a Crime
But they can be deported.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:13 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
.... And DUI is not a serious crime, it's not considered a serious crime in any state so I'm not sure where you are going with that.
Looks pretty darn serious to me.

North Carolina DUI & DWI Laws & Enforcement | DMV.org

Just one of the levels.

Level 1
  • Immediate license suspension for 30 days, with the possibility of limited driving privileges after 10 days.
  • Up to a $4,000 fine.
  • Between 30 days and 24 months in jail. (Your judge might give you 10 days under probation cases involving alcohol monitoring for 120 days.)
  • Substance abuse assessment, if you're placed on probation.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I've stated that in this thread at least twice now.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:28 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,650,865 times
Quote:
We know that. Obama deported more than any president before him.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Looks pretty darn serious to me.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but it is not a serious crime. Most states have a criteria by which they determine which crimes are serious, for example in California the crimes in the three strikes law are considered serious:
https://www.wklaw.com/three-strikes-law-serious-felony/

DUI can only be considered serious if a death or injury occurs.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
30 a day......At this pace i will take 1004 years to deport 11 million.

FAIL!!!
A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:03 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:

Also, they are here in violation of our immigration laws. Break a law and it's a crime regardless if it's a misdemeanor or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies