Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:02 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So why don't we just go down there, kick their ass, and take everything? I mean, according to Trump they are the ultimate threat to our country and economy.
That's worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The logical solution to this problem is to put employers who hire illegals in prison. It's actually that simple. But it won't happen because in spite of all the hair on fire, chest thumping rhetoric no politician is serious about getting rid of undocumented workers. Don't you realize that this wasn't by accident...businesses wanted to suppress wages and get rid of labor unions, allowing people to take jobs formerly held by citizens was the perfect way to accomplish that.

The market in undocumented labor is a god send to all sorts of business, agra, food service, construction etc. They aren't going to let go of it now and Trumps swamp is full of people who think hiring illegals is just great, just ask Andy Puzder who had an undocumented housekeeper for years and didn't know it. Trump will throw out a few hundred thousand illegals and then just ignore the issue and start talking about something else. Quit kidding yourself, he will not do a thing to upset big business.
You might be right.

We'll see.

If business -- which opposed Trump (both Wall Street and the Chamber of Commerce) -- can block Trump (and assuming he's not the tool you say he is), then they're going to have to get used to the idea of having him and people like him as president. The American people have made it clear that they have had enough of the nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I am not sure who you are talking about confiscating stuff from but I would like to confiscate entire businesses when they knowingly hire undocumented people. Here's the dirty little secret that no one wants to know about, it is perfectly legal for an employer to use e-verify and to refuse to hire people who will not agree to be processed through that database. Congress dances around passing some law to require it, but it always ends up not happening and it's not the fault of either R's or D's. It will never be required because every politician is dependent upon campaign contributions from the businesses that profit from illegal labor.
Trump isn't.

Quote:
What I would like to see is a movement to have businesses who voluntarily us e-verify use that as part of their advertising and marketing so that we can make a choice when we spend our money and refuse to patronize businesses that refuse to use it.
I think you can find lists of companies that use it on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Its called the Rico Act and I will go as fair subtracting aid money to any country who does not control their borders.
Speaking of the RICO Act, that's a wonderful tool Sessions could use against businesses that hire illegals -- regardless of what Congress does.

He might even be able to use it against Congress members whose votes reflect a quid pro quo on the issue. I remember Senator Feinstein getting on the phone to take orders from her business "clients" before voting on amendments to the 2006 immigration bill. Right there in committee on C-SPAN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 08:00 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
That's worth considering.
You might be right.
We'll see.
If business -- which opposed Trump (both Wall Street and the Chamber of Commerce) -- can block Trump (and assuming he's not the tool you say he is), then they're going to have to get used to the idea of having him and people like him as president. The American people have made it clear that they have had enough of the nonsense.
Trump isn't.
I think you can find lists of companies that use it on the internet.
Speaking of the RICO Act, that's a wonderful tool Sessions could use against businesses that hire illegals -- regardless of what Congress does.
He might even be able to use it against Congress members whose votes reflect a quid pro quo on the issue. I remember Senator Feinstein getting on the phone to take orders from her business "clients" before voting on amendments to the 2006 immigration bill. Right there in committee on C-SPAN.
It doesn't really matter how Trump feels about the employment of undocumented people, he can't rule by fiat and there have been too many campaign contributions given to Congress specifically for the purpose of keeping e-verify from being required that they would ever vote for any bill unless it had a dozen exceptions and a 30 year implementation time.

This isn't new, it's very much like 'the war on drugs' everyone knows what a huge waste of money it is but as long as business interests benefiting from it lobby congress it will never end. Our only hope is to take all of the money out of politics, publicly fund elections and bar any contributions, donations or gifts to politicians.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:05 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So why don't we just go down there, kick their ass, and take everything? I mean, according to Trump they are the ultimate threat to our country and economy.
My small minded Liberal, its call the Rico Act. This also serves a deterrent for would Illegals.
The interlopers undermine wages and over burden local resources.

LA is perfect because of the gangs problems that La has. Don't you want to clean up your city LA??????

Or Let the gangs control certain areas of the city.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:12 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Its called the Rico Act and I will go as fair subtracting aid money to any country who does not control their borders.
Indeed. Trump doesn't need new laws to deal with the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies