Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:35 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times

Advertisements

Surprisingly civil conversation here so far. Wonder how many posts it will take before the typical "this is America, we speak American" type comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 12:47 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Surprisingly civil conversation here so far. Wonder how many posts it will take before the typical "this is America, we speak American" type comments
^^^ Here you go.

Time for a second language?

No, it is time for 40 million spanish speakers to go home since they don't want to assimilate and become Americans and speak English.

We DO speak english in America. Have since it's inception. Why do we need to change OUR language because the traitors in the government allowed us to be invaded without a shot fired? Well if you exclude the hundreds of people killed by Hispanic gangs every year...

Oh BTW I speak Spanish (and some French) and lived LEGALLY in Mexico and Central America for a number of years. So yes, I have earned the right to my opinions.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
[Politically Incorrect Flag On]
Multiculturalism / Bilingualism is so anti-American, that it boggles the mind that public funds support it.

A nation of people who share a common language and customs, can better cooperate in the defense of person or property from attack.

A nation of people who cannot communicate and have different customs, will not cooperate.

For the predators, the latter is preferred over the former. A nation divided into unintelligible factions is doomed to collapse.

One language = one nation united.

------------------------

Reference :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto
“The place where I was born and spent my childhood gave direction to all my future struggles. In Bialystok the inhabitants were divided into four distinct elements: Russians, Poles, Germans and Jews; each of these spoke their own language and looked on all the others as enemies.”
- - - L. L. Zamenhof, in a letter to N. Borovko, ca. 1895

Old 02-12-2017, 01:45 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Naw. Already drying up.

A) Most of them also speak English

B) Illegal immigration numbers are down due to the Mexican/South American baby bust, decreased opportunities in America, and increased opportunities in Latin America. Some estimates have had a net DECREASE of illegals in the last few years.

C) Hispanics intermarry with whites at incredible levels, and tend to lose their Hispanic culture. Almost half consider themselves "white."

D) They can't afford to live in places like Cali and New York anymore, and I can tell you that any number have gone home in bay area Cali.

The height of the Hispanic population boom was 2007. Anyone who thinks different is looking at fake numbers.
Yeah, right before the housing bubble went BOOM! I don't remember too many people complaining about the illegals back then: to many people making money off of them.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I doubt there are more Hispanics population on earth than Indians or Chinese, possibly more than native English speakers.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What a linguistically diverse nation we live in! Seeing as Spanish is very useful in CA, TX, NY-NJ, FL etc., maybe we should consider making it a second official language.

Im not Hispanic but I learned Spanish while living in South America off and on for varying stretches of time over the past 23 years. It's a lovely language and we already have millions of bilingual English+Spanish speakers.

Anyhow, the data showing Spanish surpassing the 40 Million threshold in 2015.

my pic
actually what you learned was more portuguese than spanish, especially if you lived in brazil, though the languages are very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
We have no official language at this point, English or otherwise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
We don't even have a first official language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
There is no "official" language in the United States. I say we leave it that way.
this is correct, there i no official language in america. there have been movements over the decades though to make a few different languages the official language, including english, german, french, and spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
ok i will oblige you on this, for teh sake of amusement,

this here be america damn it and here we speak american, not no damned other language like english or spanish.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Yeah, right before the housing bubble went BOOM! I don't remember too many people complaining about the illegals back then: to many people making money off of them.
actually you would be surprised, the number of illegals in this country has been a bone of contention since the 50s.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:02 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
We have no official language, so no.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:03 AM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Can you say assimilation?

Old 02-12-2017, 02:20 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually what you learned was more portuguese than spanish, especially if you lived in brazil, though the languages are very similar.
Yes my home base down there is São Paulo but like I said, Ive traveled the continent extensively for 23 years, headed a Spanish speaking division of my then employer in Buenos Aires for a few years, and I appreciate that I became fluent in Portuguese first-Spanish wasnt too difficult after that imHo.

Quote:
this is correct, there i no official language in america. there have been movements over the decades though to make a few different languages the official language, including english, german, french, and spanish.

ok i will oblige you on this, for teh sake of amusement,

this here be america damn it and here we speak american, not no damned other language like english or spanish.
I can respect the opposite view. It's imperative that we can communicate with each other, but I also deeply appreciate the contribution of other cultures to America and language is one of those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies