Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:31 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Press ONE for English, press TWO for Border Patrol.
Ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 09:39 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why should we spend tens of million of dollars on something that is ALREADY covered under the law?

If they CAN'T meet the existing laws, they should NOT be allowed to become a U.S. citizen.

"Naturalization is the way that a person not born in the United States voluntarily becomes a U.S. citizen. Are you thinking about applying (PDF, 173 KB) for naturalization? Learn about the general 10 steps to naturalization (PDF, 1.57 MB).
Before you apply, you must meet a few requirements. Depending on your situation, different requirements may apply to you.
"General Eligibility Requirements

"Be able to read, write, and speak basic English."

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/le...naturalization
Montclair can't even name half the states or pick them out on a map you think that guy actually knows anything about US laws? His knowledge of the US is bested by your average 2nd grader.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I think it a good idea to make English the official language and to also require Spanish for a minimum of 4 years in our public schools.
At a practical level, it might make sense, but at an emotional level, I say absolutely not. I realize there are many Spanish speakers in many parts of the country but here in Northern New England French as a second language makes far more sense given our neighbors across the border in Quebec and given a major portion of us are in full or in part ethnically of French Canadian descent ourselves. Spanish speaking America is only something we hear about in the media. It is something culturally foreign. We get far more tourists from Quebec than we do from Spanish speaking countries. We have very few illegals from Mexico and Central America.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:35 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Cool! I think we should make it official
English, you're right.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
So is that a good estimate of how many illegals are in this country?

Old 02-12-2017, 02:03 PM

62,960 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You just cannot help but push an uber liberal theme in every thread, can you?

The irony of course that is most likely lost on you, is that liberals promote individuality of immigrants rather than assimilation, like we use to throughout our history.
Thus instead of people learning our language and culture, they want to promote and try to force Americans to change their lives to fit the immigrants.
That is a recipe for long term disaster, but anything that tears apart the fabric of our historical culture is a good thing from a liberal/leftist/anarchists perspective, right?

That's absolutely is their anti-American agenda. Half of our states have made English their official language including the illegal alien haven of Calif. where English speaking whites are now the minority. As another poster pointed out most Hispanics can also speak English so why should we learn Spanish to communicate with them and why should it take any place in our country as an official language? Here, let them chomp on this for awhile.

Quote by Theodore Roosevelt :

Old 02-12-2017, 02:11 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's more fun pretending that English is a critically endangered species that is on the verge of extinction in a generation.

You know, kinda like Scottish Gaelic
Thumbs up.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:13 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I don't get the joke but EVERY generation becomes history. As it should be.

It's up to each to try and make things better for themselves and their children.
Not a joke, but many trying to make their America as they was, not realizing, it's the next generation's turn. I would say boomers and the prev bunch are the most controlling people I ever met. I hope the next set- lives and let live with much more tolerance n respect . They do not be do hung up on stupid differences of people, but desperately want family and unity .

Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
^^^ Here you go.

Time for a second language?

No, it is time for 40 million spanish speakers to go home since they don't want to assimilate and become Americans and speak English.

We DO speak english in America. Have since it's inception. Why do we need to change OUR language because the traitors in the government allowed us to be invaded without a shot fired? Well if you exclude the hundreds of people killed by Hispanic gangs every year...

Oh BTW I speak Spanish (and some French) and lived LEGALLY in Mexico and Central America for a number of years. So yes, I have earned the right to my opinions.
You earned nothing, you just happened to be born in the place where you were taught English. But from inception?? No- Spanish- French and then maybe English, at least from the settlers who came to kill off the rest. Let me not forget Chinese and who knows what else, People were already here before the killing and dominance came.
Did they call you the ugly gringo in Central America ? you did not assimilate to them while there ....

Old 02-12-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No.

Learn English or leave.
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies