Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 02:04 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times

Advertisements

No

There are undoubtedly a few occasional cases nationally but there is no evidence that there is a statistically significant problem.

To paraphrase Megyn Kelly in her dressing down of Karl Rove on election night 2012, "it's what Republicans tell themselves to feel better."

Last edited by Bureaucat; 02-12-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 02:05 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
I don't know the answer (though I would love to so investigate away).

I have talked to several people in NC who were registrars and they have told me (without my asking actually) that when they were acting in that position they uncovered many 'dead people' on the voters lists and they reported that to the elections office. I am told the elections officers said that, in this state, they can and will do nothing about that because the law says that the administrator of an estate must be the one to report (with a copy of official documentation - certified death certificate) a death or the name stays on the rolls in perpetuity (some apparently have been there for decades already and more are added every year). No other entity is allowed to report that and have a name taken off the list. I have personal experience with this problem because my husband died here and I administered his 'estate' and found all this out quite by accident - it was not on any list that even the county gave me about how to administer an estate here.

That being the case, there is much room for people to vote twice or someone other than the dead person to vote, etc. at least in this state, particularly since you can look up the registered voter list at any time and parties have access to who voted, etc. during the voting cycles. And that is just one way things could be messed up, beyond the voter registration aspect. I do think we need to eliminate as many 'loopholes' as we can and now may be the opportune time to begin doing that. After all, we all want democratic, fair and legal elections, right? Let's be sure we (on both sides) know what we are talking about when we say .. yes, the wrong people may be voting or no, can't be.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,099,804 times
It is not a big issue. Most illegals that are here, wish & desire to become legal, & they are not going to risk that for one lousy vote. So while it is possible to register anyone for a vote, who may not be eligible, it is not that common, except in loosers heads.
Illegal aliens, want green cards, they do not want to be caught over a stupid vote or voting card, & jeopardize their chances.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:07 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Why do people insist on believing this nonsense, based on mere conjecture rather than solid proof? For example, Trump has accused thousands of American citizens living in Massachusetts of voting in NH, even though it is flatly untrue, and he cannot provide any proof of that. He thereby accuses thousands of American citizens, as well the the government of NH, of a criminal act. And his supporters seem to think that there's nothing wrong with this.

Newsflash: Trump throws this garbage out there, knowing that his supporters will take it and run with it. He doesn't feel the need to provide evidence, since he knows that they don't require any. All that is needed is innuendo and flat-out lies.

Get a clue, people. Don't you even know when you're being jacked around?

Old 02-12-2017, 02:29 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times
In the US there are about 250 million eligible voters of which only about half vote.

Even with about 125 million votes, I don't doubt that some percentage gets 'screwed up' for some reason. This could be anything from votes are just counted wrong, improperly cast votes (illegible, voting for more than one when only one is allowed etc.), machine malfunction, damaged ballots and finally, a few dishonest people that find some way to vote twice or that should not be voting at all.

If we could honestly know exactly how many 'screwed up' votes there were for any reason, I seriously doubt there would be more than a few thousand nation wide. Even if there were 12 thousand that would only be 0.1%. Out of 12 thousand, maybe a thousand or so may actually be intentional by people trying to vote illegally. The rest would just be bad counts, bad ballots etc.

Though it is certainly possible, I seriously doubt even a whole 0.1% error would change the average election.

There are way too many check and balances these days for any whole sale voter fraud. So personally, I think the whole voter fraud issue is pretty much a non-issue.

A much bigger issue is that half the population doesn't vote at all.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:29 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I know that most people consider Trump's boast that there are a significant number of illegal votes to be hyperbole. I have seriously thought the matter over. I was one of those thinkers. Now I have changed my mind.

Over recent weeks I have read that Virginia and California allow a self-declaration that one is a U.S. citizen and little more in the way of information. On the California voter registration site (link) I went all the way through until I had to hit the "submit" button. I was not about to commit a crime by affirming untrue information but I believe I would have been able to register to vote without truly verifying my citizenship. I am advised that this is true at least in Virginia and I assume in many other states, but let's stick to California.

Through the 1988 election California was somewhat reliably Republican. Since then Democratic presidential candidates have been winning by 15%+ margins in many cases. Even gubernatorial candidates of the Republican Party have had more trouble winning. In the case of the last one it was on a recall of a deeply unpopular governor. Little has changed in the state other than a swelling of immigration. Unless citizenship ceremonies have been truly packed over the years it is hard to believe that the numbers could have changed this dramatically.

I think Trump's vaunted "investigation" into "voter fraud" should select a random county in California and compare, voter by voter, the citizenship rolls and voter rolls. I suspect the surprise could be a nasty one.
It is actually easily tested. The demographics of CA are known as is the voting pattern. If there is a problem with substantial numbers of illegal voting you simply look for the higher percentage of voters in the Latino counties. You won't find it of course...because the latino counties virtually all show relatively low voter turnout as a percent of population. That all of course tends to demonstrate there is no large scale voter fraud. Does not rule out minor local fraud but would certainly show any large action.

As always substantial voter fraud is almost always absentee ballot based. Much easier than ID fraud. Never of interest though as it is believed to have a Republican bias.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:32 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
The only reason Obamacare was passed was illegal voting which pushed al Frankin in the senate as the 60th democrat. Frankin won by less than a couple hundred votes

Old 02-12-2017, 02:50 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The only reason Obamacare was passed was illegal voting which pushed al Frankin in the senate as the 60th democrat. Frankin won by less than a couple hundred votes

Old 02-12-2017, 03:07 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Again, no one has explained why California has flipped from being a relatively reliable Republican state to overwhelmingly Democratic. I smell a rat.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:32 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I have no problem with an investigation as long as all 50 states are investigated. There could be major shenanigans going on in those red states and no one would know because Republicans control everything.
Not many on the right oppose an investigation. It's the left that seem to get all freaked out by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies