Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not trash news at all. It's exactly what the experts predicted but fortunately they were able to get the levels lower without anything giving way. It's good new, yes?? Almost 200k people have had to evacuate, that's still real.
Of course but it didn't fail in an hour. That equals trash news or click bait for boobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:08 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
If Californians didn't have to subsidize fat Mississippians California could keep their infrastructure from falling apart.

This preventable tragedy will hopefully lead to CaliExit 2018 victory and Californians can look out for Californians and no longer be forced to subsidize white racists in the South!
Huh?!? How did this topic turn racist?

Old 02-14-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
hmm, it's a RED county that voted for Trump 57%.
Now they can't look after their own infastructure?
What a sad, sad comment.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Looting reported in Oroville. Probably by low income white Trump voters. In the past conservatives said only black people in urban areas loot stores. Now we know that's wrong. People are people, if there's a desperate situation, they will do what they think they need to do or what they think they can get away with.
Unless you know for sure, the word "probably" makes your entire post meaningless.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:19 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Well, it's been a lot longer than an hour. Trash news as usual from drudge.
An emergency alert went out, it needed to be broadcast. Having said that, last night news was hard to come by. That was rather weird. I just hope that people didn't have to leave their pets, locating your cat in a hours time isn't always easy.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:23 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
oh stop it, this constant blame game is just silly. Did you even research this issue? It was Schwarzenneger and FERC under the Bush administration who failed to fix it in 2005.
So the democrats had 12 years to fix the problem and didn't.

Quote:
Bottom line, it doesn't matter who you blame, it was a 'black swan' event. It was the first time in 48 years that the spillway had to be used, it's a little like Katrina but on a smaller scale. How well can you prepare, and how much do you spend to prepare against events that aren't expected to occur?
Heavy rains aren't expected to occur in Northern California?

You really believe that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
It must really suck to tell someone you hate their guts then have to turn around and ask for money to save your ass.
Yep.

Looks like the whole sanctuary state thing isn't going to work out very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The only undocumented people in California who get medi-cal are children and I doubt if health care for 170,000 children costs 'billions of dollars'
170,000 children?

More like 3,700,000 children.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
If I had to make an uneducated guess on the cause of this spillway failure... it would be that the spillway failure point is at or just below the lakeside level of the spillway. Water is slowly leaching through, coming in just under the spillway, taking the path of least resistance, then slowly washing out the base soil and aggregate material on the other side. This plus the water entering through the cracks of the placed concrete is causing catastrophic erosion which has caused the placed concrete to wash out.

The engineers who designed this spillway had the benefit of historical spillway plans and engineering and they obviously took shortcuts or didn't properly account for the existing material, it's porosity and the amount of porous material used in building up the dam when it was designed.

I realize that pointing fingers to assign blame does not help the emergency at hand, but what it does do is point to the likelihood that this cannot be resolved with some inexpensive patch.

It is my uneducated (no formal education in civil or structural engineering) opinion that the entire main spillway will need to be removed along with a large amount of base material. Then to do this the smart way one would need to excavate enough base for a major wall of placed concrete with protective membranes, extending well beyond the wings of the spillway and well into the dam area and overflow spillway that can limit and greatly reduce the amount of washout occurring by water passing through the base soil and aggregates.

Again, I know this doesn't help the current situation and my heart goes out to those folks who are in harms way due to this major engineering blunder. It just tells me that resolving this will likely take several billion dollars rather than hundreds of million dollars.

I know... hindsight isn't helping... but odds are, some engineer (or a group of engineers) was suggesting the same thing as this was being designed, but was told to shut up because the project had to meet a defined budget. Heck, there may well have been engineering plans that included proper protections but were discarded in order to save money.

Then again, that's just my opinion.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:44 PM

59,041 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Is this another blessed event from the US Army Corps of Engineers?
Instead of asking a loaded question, why didn't you LOOK IT UP?

"Built by the California Department of Water Resources (DWR), Oroville Dam is one of the key features of the California State Water Project (SWP),'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroville_Dam

This is 1 reason I am NOT for "infrastructure "projects unless they are for federal infrastructure ONLY.

States squander the tax money collected to maintain its OWN infrastructure THEN they go begging to the fed (the rest of us) to bail the out.

What DID the state DO with the money collected to MAINTAIN its OWN property?

Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
"I realize that pointing fingers to assign blame does not help the emergency at hand, but what it does do is point to the likelihood that this cannot be resolved with some inexpensive patch."

Not an engineer either, but perhaps putting in a third spillway is the way to go.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:14 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"I realize that pointing fingers to assign blame does not help the emergency at hand, but what it does do is point to the likelihood that this cannot be resolved with some inexpensive patch."

Not an engineer either, but perhaps putting in a third spillway is the way to go.

While this might be an interesting concept, it won't repair the existing and exposed spillway. If my uneducated guess is correct on how and why the erosion is occurring, they will need to stop the water from leaching through and washing out the base soil and aggregate anyway. If they don't fix this, again only my uneducated guess, the spillway base material will eventually wash out, it will fail and those people who were evacuated, well they'll lose everything they have.

Again this is just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies