Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 09:35 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you sure that's true? The widest wealth/income disparities are in blue cities/states. The gap is lower in red states because COL is lower.

Proves my point.
COL of living is lower, but the peak of the high earners is usually much higher in blue states, and the low earners are also doing better.

Eastern Kentucky is probably the poorest area of the country not on a Native American reservation. There is nowhere in Massachusetts that is anywhere near that poor. Even the toniest parts of the Lexington and Louisville metros are not going to be anywhere near as affluent as an affluent Boston suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:35 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
I don't know why but the Red states need more help from the government despite their cry for less governmental intervention. Maybe if they paid their employee a decent wage they wouldn't have to go on Medicaid.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:37 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Statistics used to create narratives to hide actual facts. I gave actual facts of entire county. I can give you more counties like this in NC if you don't believe.

Clearly, based on proclamations by the OP and others, that county should be Trump country, yet they voted for Hillary.

Here's another....

North Hampton County NC.
  • 551 sq miles. (Manhattan is 36 sq miles simply as size comparison)
  • Population 20,099
  • Median income $26,652
  • 11% with college degrees.
Yet results of 2016 Election
  • Hillary Clinton- 6,113
  • Donald Trump - 3,556
Clearly based on the nonsense of the OP and others Trump should have won it easily. He didn't. This simply demonstrates the folly of broad based negative generalizations on why people vote. i.e. Income/Education Demographics has nothing to do with it.

Of course the real point of the OP, which has failed, is that only the stupid voted for Trump.

(I think the overpaid idiots led by Robby Mook took this approach with Hillary's campaign. It cost them dearly.)
This county is majority black. That's why it's an outlier. Rural, majority black counties throughout the South will break for Clinton.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
COL of living is lower, but the peak of the high earners is usually much higher in blue states, and the low earners are also doing better.
I wouldn't say so. Cities have the highest poverty rate. So the income/wealth gap is even higher. They're usually Dem-governed and vote Dem.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:46 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I wouldn't say so. Cities have the highest poverty rate. So the income/wealth gap is even higher. They're usually Dem-governed and vote Dem.
You think dem-governed cities cause poverty.
However, this idea totally contradicts what Dems actually advocate for which Reps hate so much: wealth redistribution which reduces inequality and poverty through progressive taxation + welfare state.

Somehow you can logically piece the 2 together through your head and lump them two together? They totally contradict each other.
Which is why I kept calling you out on your flawed logic and yet you called me being dishonest... lol

Old 02-13-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I don't know why but the Red states need more help from the government despite their cry for less governmental intervention. Maybe if they paid their employee a decent wage they wouldn't have to go on Medicaid.
Look in a different direction. It's retirees. SS and Medicare which are paid for and earned retirement insurance benefits, are included in those federal spending calculations.

Is someone on a fixed income going to retire in a high COL blue state? Or a low COL red state.

Personal example... My parents sold their home in the Chicago suburbs and retired to Hilton Head. Same value home, but the HH home was much nicer, twice as big, on more land, and had a beautiful golf course and pond view.

The real estate tax bill comparison for the same value homes:

IL: $5,600
SC: $630

See what I mean?

Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post

Actually it is the Democratic sections within those Red States eating up that welfare moon-pie...yum yum

Overlay a welfare recipient map and a Democratic voter map in those states and they're one in the same.

Ewwwwww...trying to pass failed policy hot potato. Try harder.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
The data I posted earlier in this thread was based on a list I compiled a couple of years ago. When I corrected the error with Iowa, I saw that the numbering was different and that the data was new. The percentage of advanced degrees is going up everywhere as younger workers are better educated across the board. The lineup of states however, is pretty consistent with the previous list. 19 of the top 25 states in the percentage of advanced educational attainment, plus D.C., voted for Clinton. The only state in the bottom 25 to vote Democratic was Nevada, where the Latino vote was critical.

Also, check out the states listed toward the middle. There's some outliers but a lot of the election night tossups are there. It's not a perfect correlation, but it's the one that seems to consistently match up with results the best. Whether it's because of the differing economies of the states or some other factor is open to interpretation.

Updated advanced ed percentages (2/2017)

D.C. 31.3%
1. Massachusetts 17.7%
2. Maryland 17.3%
3. Connecticut 16.6%
4. Virginia 15.4%
5. New York 14.8%
6. Vermont 14.3%
7. Colorado 14.0%
8. New Jersey 14.0%
9. New Hampshire 13.0%
10. Rhode Island 12.8
11. Illinois 12.4%
12. Delaware 12.2%
13. Washington 12.0%
14. California 11.6%
15. Oregon 11.5%
16. New Mexico 11.5%
17. Minnesota 11.2%

18.Pennsylvania 11.2%
U.S. Average 11.2
19. Kansas 11.0%
20. Georgia 10.7%

21. Hawaii 10.5%
22. Michigan 10.5%
23. Utah 10.4%

24.Maine 10.3%
25. Arizona 10.2%
26. Missouri 10.2%
27. Alaska 10.1%
28. North Carolina 9.9
29. Florida 9.8%
30. Nebraska 9.7%
31. Ohio 9.7%
32. Montana 9.5%
33. Wisconsin 9.4%
34. Texas 9.4%
35. South Carolina 9.3%
36. Kentucky 9.2%
37. Tennessee 9.0%
38. Indiana 8.7%
39. Alabama 8.7%
40. Wyoming 8.6%
41. Iowa 8.5%
42. Idaho 8.2%
43. Oklahoma 8.0%
44. South Dakota 8.0%

45. Nevada 7.9%
46.Louisiana 7.7%
47. Mississippi 7.7%
48. North Dakota 7.6%
49. Arkansas 7.5%
50. West Virginia 7.4%

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...nal_attainment

Last edited by Bureaucat; 02-13-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
You think dem-governed cities cause poverty.
Dem policies in general encourage poverty. There's no incentive for working one's way out of poverty because as soon as the poor person starts making a little bit of money and goes over the threshold, many of the benefits are cut off, leaving them with even less income than they would have had if they had not bothered.

Quote:
However, this idea totally contradicts what Dems actually advocate for which Reps hate so much: wealth redistribution which reduces inequality and poverty through progressive taxation + welfare state.
Dems "advocate" for that, but they won't do what really works to achieve that goal.

Excellent article on the Economic Research done on that, here:

Quote:
The United States has by far the most progressive income, payroll, wealth and property taxes of any developed country. Scandinavian social democracies like Denmark, Sweden and Norway have quite regressive direct taxes, as do the Netherlands and Switzerland...

The disparity is even starker when you bring sales taxes into the mix, as VATs are an extremely important source of revenue for most European countries...

Prasad and Deng found that the progressivity of countries' tax codes is negatively correlated with the amount of redistribution they do. In English: The less progressive the [tax] code, the more progressive the system."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b4487b31e3a4

Pay close attention to what that scatter plot chart tells us... Note that the highest levels of government benefits and services are provided by countries (Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Belgium) in which taxes are flat (everyone pays the same tax rate) or regressive (shown as the negative values, meaning a greater tax burden is placed on those with lower incomes). And note where the USA falls on the graph. The USA has the most progressive tax system, and therefore is least able to fund progressives' societal goals.

(Scatter Plot info, for those who need more explanation of what Scatter Plots tell us: https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/scatter-xy-plots.html)

Old 02-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Actually it is the Democratic sections within those Red States eating up that welfare moon-pie...yum yum

Overlay a welfare recipient map and a Democratic voter map in those states and they're one in the same.

Ewwwwww...trying to pass failed policy hot potato. Try harder.
That's largely true.

I've already posted the Fact and stats that Dem voters need means-tested public assistance program benefits at a rate of 2 or more times that of Republican voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies