Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
And the biggest difference...OBESITY RATES

Let's face it, being overweight/obese is unhealthy, undesirable, and sheds light on the poor lifestyles of said persons. Blue states are clearly superior on this front.
I wonder if CA will take the first step in enacting universal healthcare and basically give the middle finger to the Trump adminstration.

The state legislature has a Democratic supermajority in both chambers. They can easily do it if they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Blue coastal urban areas tend to pay better...

Average Annual Compensation Per Job, 2015

My pics

Old 02-12-2017, 10:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I'm pretty sure one day, reality will hit everyone very hard and the country will swing progressive, just like the FDR days and we'll transform into a European-style country with a stronger safety net and a more white collar workforce. I guess folks don't see that all this change is due to capitalism, which drives technology to reduce cost and increase profits to please shareholders.
I used to think that but I don't anymore. What has resulted - I'm sorry to say - is I'm less sympathetic to those in red states. If this is what they want, give them all they can stand. Will Trump open the coal mines? No. Will they somehow have more jobs if they make their schools religious? We'll see but I don't care. As long as I live in a blue state and my state does well, all I want is for my state to keep our tax money in our state and let the red states deal with their own self caused mess. If we make health coverage state-based, I just want a five or ten year qualification period so we don't get red state refugees. It's now all about keeping my blue state strong and letting the red states do whatever they want as long as they stay away from us. And they can't say "we're in this together" because they really don't feel that way. They would do anything to us if they could and that has been clear with the 2016 election and total GOP control. They want it - they them have it, just let us in our blue state keep our tax money, keep our profits and stay away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Blue coastal urban areas tend to pay better...

Average Annual Compensation Per Job, 2015

My pics
Except one needs an education in order to get those jobs and most red states think education is for elitists, so they are going to have to keep hoping Trump brings back coal.

“He can’t bring back coal jobs in any meaningful way unless he’s capable of inventing a time machine.”

Trump Promised to 'Open the Mines'

Old 02-12-2017, 10:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
And the biggest difference...OBESITY RATES

Let's face it, being overweight/obese is unhealthy, undesirable, and sheds light on the poor lifestyles of said persons. Blue states are clearly superior on this front.
No kidding. WV is a tremendously unhealthy state. I moved from WV to Montana and noticed a huge difference ( pardon the pun ). Seriously- I dropped 40 lbs by hiking here and dropping all that fried crap.

And we're a 'red' state.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
No kidding. WV is a tremendously unhealthy state. I moved from WV to Montana and noticed a huge difference ( pardon the pun ). Seriously- I dropped 40 lbs by hiking here and dropping all that fried crap.

And we're a 'red' state.
Montana might be the exception, just look at the obesity rates of the south. Man, it's a nightmare.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:06 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Montana might be the exception, just look at the obesity rates of the south. Man, it's a nightmare.
I remember having to go to a small town in Texas on a work related trip. I went to breakfast and watched them cooking, there was butter in the air, butter by the slab thrown on the grill, they were frying bacon on butter. And the people were huge, goodness only knows what their blood pressure was.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:06 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,618 times
Quote:
Then again, cost of living is high because it's desirable. Everyone wants to live there and not enough housing can be built to accomodate the demand. The free market at it's finest right?
In San Diego, it's because not enough land is being released via state zonig regs(yes,state) to accommodate the demand for housing. State induced rationing =/= free market.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

And we're a 'red' state.
Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, etc...although red states, have that "western culture" and often attracts a lot of outdoorsy types. So those states are a bit different than other red states like KS, LA, or TX.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
In San Diego, it's because not enough land is being released via state zonig regs(yes,state) to accommodate the demand for housing. State induced rationing =/= free market.
Read my post #20. You'll see if your argument stands.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:09 PM

I have yet to see any hardcore Trumpers here on CD give a good justified explanation as to how conservative policies produce economic growth. All evidence points to blue states doing better economically and socially as a result of their policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies