Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:25 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
cool story bro, but where are all the attacks... we are roughly a decade and a half away from 911, if we have little control why have we not had thousands of attacks in the USA..??????

Seems to me you just made a list of excuses and xenophobic nonsense and want to pretend that it means anything other than you are scared of people who look and sound different to you....
I'm not a bro. I'm a woman. Insulting me doesn't cut it. Disregard what our intelligence sources have publicly stated and disregard what ISIS has promised, but this nation has the right to unapologetically decide who it wants in this country and who it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tgQ75GxAZk Perhaps you have forgotten, or maybe you were not alive?

Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Lol. You really think they will manage another one of those? Yeah. Keep fear mongering.
Are you Hillary Clinton? I see what you did there. You discarded 911 and you dodged what is happening to Europe. By the way you also dodged the Boston bombing. Also sometimes 2nd generation Muslims snap and kill people because our culture does not mix with theirs. I've seen enough bombings and killings in the name of Islam. I don't care how people want to parse statistics or convince me that Islam is the religion of peace. Not buying it. Don't care. Just keep them out. They should stay in their homeland.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
For those who want to bring up 9/11, and use them to fear monger. Thats EXACTLY my point. You are doing the terrorists work RIGHT there. Osama Bin Ladens goal wasnt to kill people, it was to make us spend our treasure and blood. And by the response it worked perfectly, and you folks want to keep aiding him. Pathetic.

The insurance argument? Do you have dog bite insurance? No? Why not? Its a bigger threat!

I do want to respond to one bit of criticism though, the idea that I am against keeping us safe. Nothing is further from the truth, but I believe we should engage in a level of it which is proportionate to the risk. And the risk is very very low.

Now for some specifics:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You are talking about protecting us from the past by bringing up numbers of what already happened. We don't have to do that so your numbers don't really matter.

One dirty bomb in a major city, a nuclear device just about anywhere, and other things that haven't happened yet, but may someday, is what we have to protect ourselves from.

I doubt many are living in fear. I'm not and don't know anyone that is. That doesn't mean the government shouldn't do whatever they can to prevent any type of terrorist attack.
This is actually a good example of money well spent-the radiation detectors in many emergency vehicles. Thats a risk vs cost analysis I agree with. But it doesn't justify the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Perhaps you have forgotten, or maybe you were not alive?
Ah yes, the ol appeal to emotion fallacy. More people commit suicide. Did you notice that stat? Should I post videos of them jumping too? And I was alive. I was also worried about being called back to service as I didnt know if I was in the callback time at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And what do people who mock concerns about jihadi violence deserve, in a karmic sense?
Dunno, what do you think the Karma should be for those who spread fear all out of proportion? Who LITERALLY help the terrorists achieve their goals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Cancel your life, auto, homeowners and health insurance.
Again, cost vs benefit. If my car insurance is more then my car, and any medical costs I should self insure. I'm not saying do NOTHING, I'm saying that there are FAR bigger threats to our lives then terrorism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
How many of these deaths compare to slipping in the bathtub? When we bring in refugees or leave our borders open to them, we transport these problems to our country!

Saying "Pay more attention to your shower." yet saying do nothing to prevent terrorists from entering our country? Do you not see the issue in that? It only makes sense, well, to someone who has commonsense to pay more attention and be diligent with both.
We are spending a vast fortune in treasure and blood, its a poor choice. If you have money to A protect yourself 100% from terrorism, or B Cure cancer, which is a better way of spending your limited funds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The FDA really isn't useful. I'm pretty sure if left to their own devices, most companies wouldn't poison their customers. Pretty sure the FDA just care more about sticking it's nose in people's business, moreso than stopping people from dying. I mean with the FDA, the numbers of people who get food poisoning is still very very high
Theres a TON of examples from history showing how wrong you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The real danger is in the ability to gain access to more destructive devices as we go along. For example the 9/11 event.
And yet our level of research into true threats like these is very low. If your concern is some nebulous maybe in the future, I would suggest we start investing in nanotechnology, and some serious biotech, and AI. Those are MASSIVE threats. As is a Carrington event (solar flare class X) hitting the earth as it did in 1859.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Yeah, these low numbers from terrorist attacks are accomplished with strip searches and body scans , but the liberal simpletons don't see a problem. And of course they are very brave as well having asked for da gubemrnt protection.
Bwahahahha. You think those work? Reality is the searches at airports have repeatedly failed to detect problems when tested. They are security theater for the most part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Are you Hillary Clinton? I see what you did there. You discarded 911 and you dodged what is happening to Europe. By the way you also dodged the Boston bombing. Also sometimes 2nd generation Muslims snap and kill people because our culture does not mix with theirs. I've seen enough bombings and killings in the name of Islam. I don't care how people want to parse statistics or convince me that Islam is the religion of peace. Not buying it. Don't care. Just keep them out. They should stay in their homeland.
Awww arent you special. Yeah Hillary Clinton posts here, and goes on about how gun control is using both hands.
Nothing in our spending so far would address the Boston bombing. Trillions spent. NOT a effective deterrent. And how many died? Yeah. more people died that day from car accidents.

In fact, 100 people die every day in a car accident. EVERY day. If we had a Boston bombing every single day it would not come close. And thats the thing. If we were serious about actual threats to life and limb, we would be spending money on getting self driving cars working rather then waiting for the private sector.

Seriously folks. THINK, don't react.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
For those who want to bring up 9/11, and use them to fear monger. Thats EXACTLY my point. You are doing the terrorists work RIGHT there. Osama Bin Ladens goal wasnt to kill people, it was to make us spend our treasure and blood. And by the response it worked perfectly, and you folks want to keep aiding him. Pathetic.

The insurance argument? Do you have dog bite insurance? No? Why not? Its a bigger threat!

I do want to respond to one bit of criticism though, the idea that I am against keeping us safe. Nothing is further from the truth, but I believe we should engage in a level of it which is proportionate to the risk. And the risk is very very low.

Now for some specifics:

This is actually a good example of money well spent-the radiation detectors in many emergency vehicles. Thats a risk vs cost analysis I agree with. But it doesn't justify the rest.

Ah yes, the ol appeal to emotion fallacy. More people commit suicide. Did you notice that stat? Should I post videos of them jumping too? And I was alive. I was also worried about being called back to service as I didnt know if I was in the callback time at that point.

Dunno, what do you think the Karma should be for those who spread fear all out of proportion? Who LITERALLY help the terrorists achieve their goals?

Again, cost vs benefit. If my car insurance is more then my car, and any medical costs I should self insure. I'm not saying do NOTHING, I'm saying that there are FAR bigger threats to our lives then terrorism.

We are spending a vast fortune in treasure and blood, its a poor choice. If you have money to A protect yourself 100% from terrorism, or B Cure cancer, which is a better way of spending your limited funds?

Theres a TON of examples from history showing how wrong you are.

And yet our level of research into true threats like these is very low. If your concern is some nebulous maybe in the future, I would suggest we start investing in nanotechnology, and some serious biotech, and AI. Those are MASSIVE threats. As is a Carrington event (solar flare class X hitting the earth as it did in 1859.

Bwahahahha. You think those work? Reality is the searches at airports have repeatedly failed to detect problems when tested. They are security theater for the most part.

Awww arent you special. Yeah Hillary Clinton posts here, and goes on about how gun control is using both hands.
Nothing in our spending so far would address the Boston bombing. Trillions spent. NOT a effective deterrent. And how many died? Yeah. more people died that day from car accidents.

In fact, 100 people die every day in a car accident. EVERY day. If we had a Boston bombing every single day it would not come close. And thats the thing. If we were serious about actual threats to life and limb, we would be spending money on getting self driving cars working rather then waiting for the private sector.

Seriously folks. THINK, don't react.
WHat did Bill Clinton do in those eight years that made this Bin Laden's goal?

Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Know your enemy.

"We are continuing this policy in bleeding America to the point of bankruptcy. Allah willing, and nothing is too great for Allah,"- bin Laden

Old 02-13-2017, 11:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Know your enemy.

"We are continuing this policy in bleeding America to the point of bankruptcy. Allah willing, and nothing is too great for Allah,"- bin Laden
You must have missed the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Quote:
Know your enemy.

Yes. Let's just keep importing more trash from all over the world to live here at the taxpayers expense. OSB probably laughing in his grave at the Snowflakes demanding we bring in refugees.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM

1,548 posts, read 912,678 times
I don't think it is either. I never have, not even after 9/11. There was such an over reaction to that event. You are far more likely to die driving your car or falling down stairs.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I don't think it is either. I never have, not even after 9/11. There was such an over reaction to that event. You are far more likely to die driving your car or falling down stairs.
We mitigate such risks by wearing seat belts and using handrails. We can mitigate risk of future attacks by using appropriate safeguards as well, such as strengthening our internal investigations and more careful vetting of incoming immigrants.

Attacks with smaller body counts are still attacks, and there's been no shortage of them in post 9/11 America.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/wrjp255a.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies