Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:23 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
What made you abandon American values? Why are you so afraid of everything? I pity you.
Islam is antithetical to American values.

I'm not abandoning the American values that Islam rejects -- democracy, human rights, personal freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and (lately) women's rights and gay rights -- I am upholding them.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Do you not understand that a Muslim ban would be unconstitutional?
No, it wouldn't.

8 USC 1182 (f): "Whenever the president finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate."

The above has never been found to be unconstitutional.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
What made you abandon American values? Why are you so afraid of everything? I pity you.
They have no right to enter the US. Enough derogatory information must have been present to deny them entry. Their whining to their MP will result in nothing.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
#1 - Many aspects of the Constitution also applies to non-citizens within the US.
Trump's ban doesn't apply to people already here, but to people trying to enter the country.

They are not considered "inside the country" until they are admitted by ICE officials at the airport or other port of entry.

Quote:
#2 - Per the Constitution, we have freedom of religion, therefore implementing any policies that target members of a specific religion is unconstitutional.
That only applies to people already in this country.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
If the US wanted to do so, we could implement a complete moratorium on immigration. We can prohibit people who are criminals, who have a violent history or who hold certain political ideologies. It we cannot tie it to a specific religion.
Yes, we can.

People who are not U.S. citizens or green card holders, and who have not been admitted to the U.S., do not have constitutional rights.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:44 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Yeah, keep believing the tRump lies that he doesn't support a Muslim ban. He's already pizzed off Mexico and now Canada. Shame on the US.

Canadians denied entry to U.S. after questions about religion take case to feds - Montreal - CBC News
Awe its only Trump that is such a meany.

Kenya deports Somalis, arrests hundreds in crackdown after attacks | Reuters

Any refugees living with you are or are you just a total fraud like the rest?

Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
Your comments below do not reference religion, so it obviously does not violate the Constitution. Basically, if Trump really wanted to get his EO through, he needs better people. He needs people who actually know how to construct that could withstand judicial scrutiny and he also needs to exercise greater discretion. It's pretty hard to claim that the EO was not targeting religion, when both he and his representatives consistently refer to it as a Muslim ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
No, it wouldn't.

8 USC 1182 (f): "Whenever the president finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate."

The above has never been found to be unconstitutional.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:06 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
That's ok. We do it to citizens too, ones that are scientists for NASA.

US-Born Muslim Scientist Detained, Forced to Unlock NASA Phone - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-13-2017, 09:11 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
I have previously address the bold comment below.

While the EO applies to non-citizens outside of the US, that does not mean Trump or any President can legally implement an EO that does not comply with the Constitution.

Quote:
Yes, we can.

People who are not U.S. citizens or green card holders, and who have not been admitted to the U.S., do not have constitutional rights.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Islam is antithetical to American values.

I'm not abandoning the American values that Islam rejects -- democracy, human rights, personal freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and (lately) women's rights and gay rights -- I am upholding them.
What are American values? Enlighten me. We are a multi ethnic country. There is no "American values" per se, but people who speak of them as if they easily defined are people who believe theirs are the correct ones, usually white Anglo Saxon Protestants. Newsflash: Native Americans were here first, so if you want to get technical, they hold the real American values. The Quran has many verses that say that people should love one another, whether they are Muslims or not, and that everyone should strive to be kind and do good in all things. Americans just assume that the entire Quran is evil because of the evil actions of a few and because they don't know any Muslims. (BTW, I'm an atheist, not Muslim, but I know a few Muslim people and they are hardworking kind people, as are the Hindu and Christian people I know). Here are a couple of verses from the Quran that speak of the love people should have for one another:

On those who believe and do good works there shall be no sin for what they eat, provided they fear God and believe and do good works, and again fear God and believe, yet again fear God and do good. And Allah loves those who do good. (Al Quran 5:94)

And good and evil are not alike. Repel evil with that which is best. And lo, he between whom and thyself was enmity will become as though he were a warm friend. But none is granted it save those who are steadfast; and none is granted it save those who possess a large share of good. (Al Quran 41:35-36)

There are many others like these, just as there are many in the Bible. It teaches love and kindness toward others. Before you judge Muslims, take the time to read the Quran and/or meet Muslim people, instead of assuming they are all evil terrorists. Only then can you know the truth: that some are evil but the majority are regular good people just like you and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies