Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:18 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,857,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Strawman.

Strawman.

To me, he sounds like a typical New Yorker.

He's not stupid, he's not mental, he's not on drugs, he just says and does a bunch of stuff you snowflakes don't like and I love it. He's like me.
You're using that word wrong. Our orange leader is the snowflake here, always looking for his alternative facts safe space, and his supporter's "Leave Donald alone" defense. Sad!

Old 02-13-2017, 11:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,553,318 times
Default I was following you until...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I walked into Target about 9:30 P.M. and it was like "You've now entered the twighlight zone~~~". To say I was in the minority is putting it mildly. It was packed and most appeared to be Africans (Muslims- Somalis) and east Indians. I immediately started getting the stares and looks. At first I thought it was my imagination but each time I looked up there was someone else giving a very aggressive stare - nothing friendly or curious - but more like "What are you doing here?" At the check out their carts are piled high and I swear a black woman checkout gave the customer such a nasty look I thought she was going to climb over and attack her. No doubt one more welfare recipient and the checker was pizzed because she actually worked to help support this other woman. .
I was able to follow what you'd written until this. What is a black woman checkout?? Did you mean a Black woman (American) cashier? Are you saying that she, Black American/AFrican-American cashier gave a Somali customer a nasty look??

Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,978,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I was able to follow what you'd written until this. What is a black woman checkout?? Did you mean a Black woman (American) cashier? Are you saying that she, Black American/AFrican-American cashier gave a Somali customer a nasty look??
Yes

Old 02-14-2017, 12:49 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,647,003 times
It's a defect in the Soviet era software.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:59 AM

12,852 posts, read 7,031,916 times
His answers are strange he says "bad bad people" over and over or he will say "they are good people". I used to think George Bush had problems with public speaking but I have never seen a president even come close to Trump. He just can't seem to form the words so he just goes back to the few words he says all the time and repeats them. I actually think Trump has a few good ideas I was never a supporter of Clinton something doesn't seem right when he is in front of the cameras. Looking back at his speech rallies he did okay at some of those that is why I wonder if there is something wrong with him.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:02 AM

58,424 posts, read 26,752,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I am not the person you are addressing with the above post, but speech disfluencies bother me a great deal, which is why I usually read rather than watch political addresses. And, yes, President Obama's use of "uh" made me nuts. That said, it's important to know that extemporaneous speaking is very difficult for most people, and it takes a lot of practice to weed out the filler words. Think you don't do it? Have someone record you some time without your knowledge. You'll hear a lot of ums, throat clearing, sniffing, sighs, etc., that you probably don't realize you're using to give you space to think. My own mother, who is wicked smart, ends her sentences with "sooooo" and then drifts off, leaving the listener to wonder where she was going with her thoughts. It's an awful habit that she's passed it on to my daughter, and every time I hear it, I want to scream. What I'm trying to say here is that these are normal artifacts of public speaking. They may drive you crazy, but they're very typical and not a good indicator of overall intelligence.
" but speech disfluencies bother me a great deal,"

A LOT of things bother me but, I don't blast them to the Internet.

I see a LOT of personal problems in your thread.

"They may drive you crazy, but they're very typical and not a good indicator of overall intelligence"

Are you now a psychiatrist on line?

Trump has attained a HUGE empire through being "intelligent" and hard work.

If you think you can do better with your perceived superior intellect, why haven't you?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 AM

8,316 posts, read 4,288,656 times
There are strong indicators Trump has ADHD. Among other things, he had issues in school when he was young before anyone even knew about ADHD. In affluent families, problem children were often sent to military school in an effort to correct the problem.

"The question now, from a clinical standpoint, is whether Donald Trump has finally hit the wall. Has he finally come up against a moment where his underlying ADHD is going to betray him and lead him to one of the most colossal failures in the history of presidential politics? Or, perhaps, if he wins, to a chaotic and unfocused presidency? I will have to leave the answer to that question to current pundits and future historians."

Dr. George Sachs, founder and director of the Sachs Center in Manhattan, specializing in the testing and treatment of ADHD in adults and children. 08/18/2016

Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,257,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" but speech disfluencies bother me a great deal,"

A LOT of things bother me but, I don't blast them to the Internet.

I see a LOT of personal problems in your thread.

"They may drive you crazy, but they're very typical and not a good indicator of overall intelligence"

Are you now a psychiatrist on line?

Trump has attained a HUGE empire through being "intelligent" and hard work.

If you think you can do better with your perceived superior intellect, why haven't you?
What the hell is wrong with you? I was answering another poster's question about President Obama's use of "uh" and whether or not it was irritating. The answer is: YES! It's incredibly irritating, but it's also common in people of all backgrounds when speaking extemporaneously. We all use speech disfluencies -- that's the term for interruptions in the flow of speech, like "uh" -- at one time or another. They are extremely common in situations where the speaker is stressed or tired, which is why you hear them often in town hall meetings. I can't imagine anything more stressful or exhausting than campaigning, can you?

There are several types of speech disfluencies. The one Barack Obama uses most frequently is called a filled pause, at least toward the end of his time in office when he'd had years and years of public speaking experience. I'd have to go back and watch his early town halls to see if he had any others. My observation of Donald Trump indicates that he's prone to use interjections and repetitions and relatively few filled pauses (no "uhs").

As for your obvious dismay over my comment about intelligence, are you sure you understood what I meant by my comment about intelligence? In isolation, speech disfluencies do not indicate a lack of intelligence or hard work. Intelligent, hard-working people use them all the time. I do, too. My most common disfluency is the false start, and it drives my husband up a wall. I start a thought only to abandon it and begin again. He teases me that I like to put my mouth in motion before my brain is fully in gear.

Am I psychiatrist on-ine? No, and I make no claim to be. Are you?

Last edited by randomparent; 02-14-2017 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-14-2017, 09:58 AM

51,573 posts, read 25,487,313 times
Remember all the sniffling during the debates. Is that still happening?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 AM

10,537 posts, read 4,187,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
actually you will find vocab does have a lot to do with intelligence and income. You don't need a link because any search at all will hit you up with dozens of link on the topic.

and remember an anecdote does not prove a point, you need to look at the research and it strongly suggests we can use vocab as a strong indicator ...outliers etc...
An intelligent person is intelligent before they pick up a dictionary.
They may choose never to expand their vocabulary.
Or they may expand their vocabulary and then decide not to use it.
You may not be aware of it, but many people you meet in life have greater vocabularies than you, but they'll never show it.
And there are people who write essays and choose not to use their large vocabulary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies