Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:46 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And that this is why Trump's supporters elected him to be our nation's President?

Everything from cracking down hard on illegal criminals to working very closely with law enforcement to increasing border security and homeland security to withdrawing the U.S. from TPP to reducing regulations on businesses to restricting travel from nations that have strong ties to terrorism...

Trump talked about all of these things numerous times over and over again during his hundreds of campaign stops. Again, this is what the American electorate VOTED for him on.

Did all the anti-Trumpers and protesters out there not get the memo? What were all of these people doing on November 8?
Funny how people can see things so differently, don't you think?

Maybe the better question all along is to ask what Trump promised and/or is doing that is better or worse for the country all considered.

If we could all better understand what policies actually work, make sense, better serve the common good, domestic and foreign affairs, our economics, our cost of living, our ability to compete in the workforce, in international trade, with our allies, etc., we might make get closer to making better sense than simply to tout what Trump promised and/or what Trump is doing.

I for one along with a whole lot of other Americans had a hard time believing that Trump would say or promise all he did while campaigning, so that he succeed with those promises is not really a GOOD thing. Funny though, even the question about that success seems to be answered very differently by Trump supporters as compared to those who see no such success.

I would address each of your "successes" if I had the time or belief it would make any difference, but for starters..., there is no big wall yet built between us and Mexico. Mexico flatly refuses to pay for it even if it did get built. Trump hasn't succeeded in preventing any more criminals from entering the country as compared to before (where is that evidence?), and about the only Mexican prevented from coming to this country that had those plans before is their president!

What success we have seen is the confusion and mess at the airports, protesters of every sort (and I don't think we've seen anything yet), Federal department head picks that defy the imagination (so much for "draining the swamp"), but hey! The new POTUS can Tweet like nobody's business! "Unpresidented!"

Seems like the difference between Trump supporters and those who are not is something like the difference between people who like to watch Reality TV -- the Apprentice -- and those who watch..., well..., those who don't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
A lot of people use their government positions to obtain more wealth. For example after they leave office, Clinton, Bush, Obama receive huge kickbacks from companies they helped in the form of speaking fees, book advance, etc.

Meanwhile, peons everywhere, like on this forum for example, argue with each other like you really mean something to them.
And do you think that someone who is already rich when they take office is more or less likely to do this than someone else who isn't?

Personally I'd rather see someone who is rich before they take office than someone who gets rich while in office.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:54 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
You are correct in that he is attempting to do much of what he promised. It frightened many Americans back during the campaign and scares them even more now. You have to realize that Trump was not supported by the majority of Americans and did not even get the most votes on election day. The resistance to Trump should therefore be no surprise.
Taking the difference of $6 million popular vote, if that's the difference you're referring to that's a small one. That is the size of the population of one small state. Hardly much to consider a majority disagree.

He is disliked by the majority of the liberal elites that's why it seems like a majority when in fact the popular vote shows a 52% voted against him including independents. 48% voted for him.

If majority disliked him, how did he win? The electoral college is still a representative of majority of people in this country that he overwhelmingly beat Clinton.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And that this is why Trump's supporters elected him to be our nation's President?

Everything from cracking down hard on illegal criminals to working very closely with law enforcement to increasing border security and homeland security to withdrawing the U.S. from TPP to reducing regulations on businesses to restricting travel from nations that have strong ties to terrorism...

Trump talked about all of these things numerous times over and over again during his hundreds of campaign stops. Again, this is what the American electorate VOTED for him on.

Did all the anti-Trumpers and protesters out there not get the memo? What were all of these people doing on November 8?
You are absolutely correct. The MSM convinced the majority of people that only brain dead people would vote for trump and they believed them so they stayed home.

I didn't believe the media I knew there were plenty of brain dead people who would vote for trump so I voted against him.

Guaranteed, next time the majority will not be staying home.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
You are correct in that he is attempting to do much of what he promised. It frightened many Americans back during the campaign and scares them even more now. You have to realize that Trump was not supported by the majority of Americans and did not even get the most votes on election day. The resistance to Trump should therefore be no surprise.
This is a reasonable response. With you, a conversation can be had.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:13 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If majority disliked him, how did he win? The electoral college is still a representative of majority of people in this country that he overwhelmingly beat Clinton.
I think your right otherwise three or four states combined could determine the outcome based on their combined populations, the college does level the field...

Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
A lot of them (especially on the Left) didn't vote.

Others are of the "That's not who we are" group. They are wrong. America, from it's founding, has had rules and limits on immigration. Our border has never been wide open. And "Lady Liberty" is not an open invitation but is instead a monument to LIBERTY. That's what it represents. It is not a monument to immigrants, as some think. The poem, Rush Limbaugh pointed out, came AFTER the Statue of Liberty was erected. It was never a part of the plan, and bears no reflection of the meaning of the Statue itself, in which Lady Liberty is holding out a lamp, a light to the world. The light of Liberty, if you will.
True, a lot of liberals didn't vote, because they are in solidly blue states where it is very typical to believe the electoral votes are essentially spoken for, and rightfully so. This is why we really don't know how the popular vote would go if every one of those votes were counted, but there is good reason to believe that if they were counted, and the vote were done again, and if it was the popular vote that mattered rather than the electoral college, Trump would not be POTUS today. Quite the sobering thought that will no doubt have significant implications the next time around...

As for who we are or who we are not, you frame these distinctions in a decidedly biased manner. Don't you think? The great majority of liberals and conservatives understand and support the rules and limits related to immigration. Our differences are not as you want to describe them. Our differences have to do with how we best most appropriately address the challenges related to immigration, both legal and illegal.

The bit or lesson passed along from Rush Limbaugh is classic as well.

I'm not one to point at such symbols for direction or guidance related to difficult public policy like these in question related to immigrants and refugees, but if you insist (and because I visited the sculpture's home in Colmar, France not too long ago, interested), we might first consider the statue was not made in America. It has long been considered a welcoming site by immigrants to America. The poem that eventually became dedicated and/or attached to the statue was written by a woman who worked to help refugees come to America. The poem was written with refugees in mind and is now famously known as the words associated with the Statue of Liberty. Make of that what you will or not, but that "light to the world" is intended for other than just Americans. Right?

Again, however, this does not immigrant or refugee policy make!

The question about who or what we represent as Americans when it comes to our views and respect (or lack thereof) with regard to immigrants and refugees is what separates many liberals who preferred Obama's approach over those who prefer Trump's approach, and given a zero incident record under Obama related to terrorism caused by refugees, Trump/we should be so lucky that we do as well under Trump's alternative leadership and direction. No doubt about that anyway...

Old 02-13-2017, 11:18 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
Nonsense. Leftists are doubly whammed---choking on his sensible and patriotic actions and eating Crow because he's fulfilling his promises, something they said he wouldn't do. So of course we get this whining from the entitled left.
His actions are neither sensible nor patriotic. If they were sensible, there would not be so much successful legal action taken against them. And he's not fulfilling his promises either. The wall hasn't even been started, Obamacare is still in place, and immigration is continuing.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And do you think that someone who is already rich when they take office is more or less likely to do this than someone else who isn't?

Personally I'd rather see someone who is rich before they take office than someone who gets rich while in office.
I'd rather a man not beat his wife before he gets married or after he gets married as well, but I'm not sure a man who does either is what makes for a man worthy of respect either way. There are good men who don't beat women period, if you get my drift...

Put another way, when we set our expectations so low, we aren't likely to get much better than unacceptable.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Taking the difference of $6 million popular vote, if that's the difference you're referring to that's a small one. That is the size of the population of one small state. Hardly much to consider a majority disagree.

He is disliked by the majority of the liberal elites that's why it seems like a majority when in fact the popular vote shows a 52% voted against him including independents. 48% voted for him.

Really? See the first part of comment #27, and/or...

Trump is disliked by far more people than other than those you call "liberal elites." Everyone must surely know this. I'm not even sure who these "elites" are that everyone loves to go on about, but Trump has always been what I have considered an "elite." Not many people in that category as compared to average Americans in any case.

I won't bother to list and describe everyone else who "dislikes" Trump, but again..., either way, lots and lots of people simply didn't think Trump could get elected because of who he is, what he says, how he acts. I was one of those people truly caught by surprise that enough people would actually vote for him, but now we know!

Now that all those people who truly don't like Trump are aware that there are enough people who do, they'll not only begin to demonstrate how much they dislike Trump by way of protest, but they will certainly be sure to think twice about not voting next time around. At least I for one do not need to feel guilty or responsible for Trump, because I voted for Hillary instead. Not because I'm a big Hillary fan by any means, but Hillary was the far better choice as far as I was concerned all considered.

I have followed the news, developments -- and Tweets -- very closely ever since Trump began to make his presence as POTUS known, and I think it is becoming more and more obvious that Hillary would have been a better choice, but not to Trump supporters who seem to give him credit for the Sun rising and no blame for anything in the least bit negative. Fingers crossed there are not more of those people that could actually tip the scales in favor of Trump a second term, regardless how badly he screws things up for us until then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies