Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times

Advertisements

This year 6% of American graduates did not match into residency programs. That is largely because American graduates don't try to match in primary care specialties. And with the cost of medical training in the US, who can blame them? If you are coming out of school with $300k in student loans, you are going to want to earn a lot of money to pay that off. I pay my nurse anesthetists more than many primary care doctors earn.

Texas and 2sleepy are both right. Primary care residencies don't fill for the reasons I stated above, and the slack is taken up by foreign medical graduates. But the overall shortage of doctors can only be overcome by more residency positions (regardless of whether they are filled by Americans or foreigners) which requires government funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Boston Hospitals Among Victims of Trump Travel Ban

Saravi—the top life sciences graduate student in all of Iran—was to work in Dr. Thomas Michel’s cardiology lab at BWH. Michel, the son and grandson of immigrants, says he was aghast to learn of Trump’s executive order.

An Iranian researcher named Seyed Soheil Saeedi Saravi was planning to study diabetes’ effects on the heart as a postdoctoral fellow at Brigham & Women’s Hospital (BWH). His visa was terminated by this ban. An Iranian geneticist was removed from a plane during the ban and an Iranian molecular geneticist researching at Mass General Hospital now risks being able to return to the US if he leaves for a conference in Canada.

Many Boston hospitals have been affected. These people could be our future doctors or at least could contribute to medical discoveries.

My own primary care physician is from Iran and he shares an office with a doctor from Spain. We need the best and the brightest from other countries. These people have been well vetted--you don't just suddenly decide to ban people who already have visas or green cards.
Its a temporary ban until of these travelers can be vetted. I am sure he will get in just fine.

This country is under attack by these 7 countries and we need to be sure who we let in!

Old 02-13-2017, 10:16 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Just doing jobs Americans won't do. Move along.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This year 6% of American graduates did not match into residency programs. That is largely because American graduates don't try to match in primary care specialties. And with the cost of medical training in the US, who can blame them? If you are coming out of school with $300k in student loans, you are going to want to earn a lot of money to pay that off. I pay my nurse anesthetists more than many primary care doctors earn.

Texas and 2sleepy are both right. Primary care residencies don't fill for the reasons I stated above, and the slack is taken up by foreign medical graduates. But the overall shortage of doctors can only be overcome by more residency positions (regardless of whether they are filled by Americans or foreigners) which requires government funding.

It also requires the AMA to make some changes.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:46 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,692 times
The haste with which the EO was rolled out is much of the problem.

I know several highly educated folks, including doctors, who won't leave the country right now because they're afraid they won't be let back in. NOT because they're from those 7 countries. But because who knows what DJ's going to sign next?! While these folks are abroad, or en route? What countries might he add next? What about H1B visas? Can an EO suddenly revoke those? I know real people who are very afraid of that happening. It's affecting businesses. It's affecting families who are canceling trips and staying put.

Who can blame them after this "Muslim ban" fiasco?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:52 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
The haste with which the EO was rolled out is much of the problem.

I know several highly educated folks, including doctors, who won't leave the country right now because they're afraid they won't be let back in. NOT because they're from those 7 countries. But because who knows what DJ's going to sign next?! While these folks are abroad, or en route? What countries might he add next? What about H1B visas? Can an EO suddenly revoke those? I know real people who are very afraid of that happening. It's affecting businesses. It's affecting families who are canceling trips and staying put.

Who can blame them after this "Muslim ban" fiasco?
Yes, they sprung it on these people with no warning and that produced absolute international chaos. Chaos within the administration because they were never even notified, chaos for airport workers, chaos for embassy employees, major chaos.

Not to even mention the LEGALS who were only trying to come home to the US where they live and work. It was so disorganized and poorly planned that a lot of innocent people got caught up in the ensuring mess. What a crude way to treat our LEGALS who were vetted and have the right to be here! This is feeling like some sort of third world country with stupidity like this going on.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, they sprung it on these people with no warning and that produced absolute international chaos. Chaos within the administration because they were never even notified, chaos for airport workers, chaos for embassy employees, major chaos.

Not to even mention the LEGALS who were only trying to come home to the US where they live and work. It was so disorganized and poorly planned that a lot of innocent people got caught up in the ensuring mess. What a crude way to treat our LEGALS who were vetted and have the right to be here! This is feeling like some sort of third world country with stupidity like this going on.
^^That is exactly what some folks I know from actual third world countries have said.

They are flabbergasted. They've said, "we thought America was so much better than this"

Old 02-13-2017, 11:27 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
We have good pool of Doctors, However the real problem the left has in place hi Malpractice insurance and frankly to become a doctor comes a high price.
You want American Docs, lets go with tort reform.
Not quite true. California has had a 250k cap on malpractice lawsuits since the 70's it has neither reduced the cost of medical care or increased the number of Doctor's. You are just buying a BS from insurance companies and their bought and paid for Congress members.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

You're right, in California a Kaiser Primary Care physician makes less than some Police Officers.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:57 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It also requires the AMA to make some changes.
The AMA has advocated for an increase in the number of residencies for years. It has no say in the number of medical school graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies