Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:38 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times

Advertisements

We're like the overlooked middle child. The Boomers were the oldest child that got the car at 16, the parents interest in extra curricular activities, the clothes, the toys. Then we got the hand me downs and the novelty of the devoted parent wore off and they were too busy working and socializing to pay us much attention. But we made the most of it and did pretty well. Then along came the millenials who were allowed to run wild and were given whatever they wanted if it kept them happy and shut them up. That had mixed results, at best. But we Generation X ers learned to get along with the Boomers and the Millenials even if they didn't do much more than ignore each other.
Now we have the Generation Next who are like the autistic grandkids who either play video games non stop or listen to music all day and have no social skills beyond complaining that they're not being given enough. They're basket cases.
I was lucky enough to have been raised by " The Great Generation", most of my cousins were early baby boomers, late baby boomers. I love The Great Generation and get along with them although its mixed between awe and respect for how they lived and what they accomplished and persevered through, with the sad realization that their world has almost completely vanished. But we can remember. And when somebody complains that the past was worse and its so much better now, well, the baby Boomers and The Generation Xers will just silently laugh at them. We know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
I doubt most Gen Xers see themselves closer to boomers or millennials. At least this Gen Xer doesn't.

Most Gen Xers are independent people. Most of us where latchkey kids who had no choice, but to grow up quick and figure out how to get what we wanted in life. Most of us started to work at a very young age. My first job was at age 9, paper route, and I got that job all on my own.

We aren't called the forgotten generation for no reason. Gen X is small in numbers compared to boomers or millennials.

Wouldn't have it any other way. Society can argue about boomers and millennials all they want, while us Gen Xers just keep on doing our own thing.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I doubt most Gen Xers see themselves closer to boomers or millennials. At least this Gen Xer doesn't.

Most Gen Xers are independent people. Most of us where latchkey kids who had no choice, but to grow up quick and figure out how to get what we wanted in life. Most of us started to work at a very young age. My first job was at age 9, paper route, and I got that job all on my own.

We aren't called the forgotten generation for no reason.

Wouldn't have it any other way.
???I know baby boomers whoo started work early and I know some millenials who had their own little stuff going on at 10.

come on now.

I love how each generation assigns itself the honorable, respectful characteristics....and somehow the one under them just is not as hard working, blah blah -- and the older one -- well 'they just don't know'.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
???I know baby boomers whoo started work early and I know some millenials who had their own little stuff going on at 10.

come on now.

I love how each generation assigns itself the honorable, respectful characteristics....and somehow the one under them just is not as hard working, blah blah -- and the older one -- well 'they just don't know'.
I didn't bring up any direct comparison, I was just noting that it was very common for Gen X kids to work. But since you did, do you think millennials worked as much as previous generations while in high school?

I don't think millennials worked as much while in high school. At least from my observation.

Quote from an article I just looked up real quick shows how the numbers seem to be trending down.

Quote:
In 2010 just 16 percent of teenagers worked during their senior year of high school, down from over 30 percent throughout the 1990s. Even the once ubiquitous summer job is out of fashion. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in the summer of 2000 almost 52 percent of teenagers worked; in 2009 just 33 percent did.

Last edited by High Altitude; 02-21-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 11:14 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL, you sound more like a Boomer than a Gen X to me. I am more of a "young" gen X.

And FWIW, my mom is a "young" Boomer. Both she and my dad like the above shows you mentioned. My dad especially loves the Simpsons and Family Guy and South Park.

I also feel that Gen X is less religious than the Boomers just going by my group of friends who range between 5-8 years old to 5 years younger than myself. I like 80s music, but I love 90s music and early 00s music as well. I read more than any Boomer I know.
Yeah, I'm probably more Boomer than Gen X, and my parents were Great Generation people born in the early 30's, so I'm a bit more fossilized than your typical Gen X guy, I was born in '66. When I think about it, old Gen X people had a reverse experience with the Millennials on political matters and economics. Our early years were stressed out under Carter and a very bad recession, then improved under Reagan & Bush. We saw the end of the cold war era and hated the commies just like the boomers. The millennials began with Bush and saw the abuse of military power and economic failure, followed by a more peaceful time under Obama with a slow but steady improvement of the economy. This gives them a different outlook, and I'm sure they are going to be slow to embrace The Donald like us Big 80's men do.

Yeah, I worked my ass off when I was a kid, started mowing the lawn and shoveling snow at 8 or 9 years old, detasseled corn for a couple years and worked at a grocery store starting at age 14 and worked that job all thru high school, got my own apartment at age 17 with the understanding that the old man would pull the plug on that if I got in trouble, which I never did. He paid half the rent (85 bucks lol) until I was 18 and then I flew solo from that point on, never mooched any money off the family after I turned 18. I bought a shack when I was 28 and turned it into a home, nothing about this place remotely resembles what it looked like back in 1994, I put my Big 80's Gen X hand to it, and created a man cave suitable for a crazy Jack Nicholson loving guy like myself.

I love the musical and acting talents from the Boomer generation, they totally blow us away in that regard. Those musicians knew how to lay it down back in the 60's and 70's, just incredible. I hate rap and hip hop, felt like my guts were getting ripped out when that music rolled in like a tidal wave in the late 80's and early 90's, displacing all that had been. MTV went to hell, freaky hippie ear piercings, nose rings, short haircuts on the women, it all went to hell. The TV shows were still pretty good in the 90's and early 2000's but most everything else had become inferior. Home Improvement, Roseanne, Star Trek TNG-DS9-Voyager, Monk, Scrubs, Sopranos, NYPD Blue, those were damn good Millennial era shows. I think 80's TV shows were kinda weak compared to 70's or 90's shows.

Just thought I would add this motivational video from the 80's to help inspire the Millennials, work hard and endeavor to persevere.

From the Big 80's to you,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAl9cchQac&spfreload=5

Last edited by mofford; 02-21-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 11:38 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
I prefer Italian seasoned bread crumbs myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yep, I used Panko with egg and flour, and fried them right up!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Yeah, I'm probably more Boomer than Gen X, and my parents were Great Generation people born in the early 30's, so I'm a bit more fossilized than your typical Gen X guy, I was born in '66. When I think about it, old Gen X people had a reverse experience with the Millennials on political matters and economics. Our early years were stressed out under Carter and a very bad recession, then improved under Reagan & Bush. We saw the end of the cold war era and hated the commies just like the boomers. The millennials began with Bush and saw the abuse of military power and economic failure, followed by a more peaceful time under Obama with a slow but steady improvement of the economy. This gives them a different outlook, and I'm sure they are going to be slow to embrace The Donald like us Big 80's men do.

Yeah, I worked my ass off when I was a kid, started mowing the lawn and shoveling snow at 8 or 9 years old, detasseled corn for a couple years and worked at a grocery store starting at age 14 and worked that job all thru high school, got my own apartment at age 17 with the understanding that the old man would pull the plug on that if I got in trouble, which I never did. He paid half the rent (85 bucks lol) until I was 18 and then I flew solo from that point on, never mooched any money off the family after I turned 18. I bought a shack when I was 28 and turned it into a home, nothing about this place remotely resembles what it looked like back in 1994, I put my Big 80's Gen X hand to it, and created a man cave suitable for a crazy Jack Nicholson loving guy like myself.

I love the musical and acting talents from the Boomer generation, they totally blow us away in that regard. Those musicians knew how to lay it down back in the 60's and 70's, just incredible. I hate rap and hip hop, felt like my guts were getting ripped out when that music rolled in like a tidal wave in the late 80's and early 90's, displacing all that had been. MTV went to hell, freaky hippie ear piercings, nose rings, short haircuts on the women, it all went to hell. The TV shows were still pretty good in the 90's and early 2000's but most everything else had become inferior. Home Improvement, Roseanne, Star Trek TNG-DS9-Voyager, Monk, Scrubs, Sopranos, NYPD Blue, those were damn good Millennial era shows. I think 80's TV shows were kinda weak compared to 70's or 90's shows.
I think that Gen X born prior to 1975 are more likely to relate to Boomers and those of us born afterward are more likley to relate to Millenials. I was born in 79. Gen X typically ends in 1982.

I love hip hop music and have since I was very little in the early 80s. I also am into home improvement. I currently live in a house I bought for less than 10k and have fixed up primarily by ourselves. I am a music fan across the span of the 20th century actually. So I don't think 60s and 70s music was better than the generations that came afterwards. I love all types of music. Will note though that Roseanne and Star Trek TNG came out in the late 80s. I remember when they debuted on TV.

But in general, I think those born closer to the preceeding or next generation will relate more to the one they are closest too. My mom actually isn't much older than you are. I don't relate much at all with Boomers and my mom is more Gen X than Boomer IMO. My dad is only 10 years older than you and he is similar to how you describe yourself in regards to interests.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 AM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
millennial- live and let live, and I'll be 64 soon--

Somehow the boomers forgot their free spirit- because turned greedy and self serving- -
the ME, MYSELF and MINE took over-- I cannot deal with them at all-
I would say in the next few years, as death door comes closer- you should wonder what you will tell your maker--

Old 02-21-2017, 02:57 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Gen X'ers: You guys grew up in the 80s playing at arcades, playing Atari, and listening to Duran Duran, right?

I'm a millennial, but I feel like I would have done well in the 80s.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
millennial- live and let live, and I'll be 64 soon--

Somehow the boomers forgot their free spirit- because turned greedy and self serving- -
the ME, MYSELF and MINE took over-- I cannot deal with them at all-
I would say in the next few years, as death door comes closer- you should wonder what you will tell your maker--
Hey are you talking to me ? Are YOU talking to ME ? (De Niro). When I do meet my maker I probably don't want "Big Time" playing on my Rugby2 as I near the pearly gates. I'm not super religious but I'm a believer in Christianity, The Millennials are the least religious and tend to be atheists, that's kinda sad because I think it helps a person to believe in something good, a supreme being and the 10 commandments, at least, and not the evil revenge seeking Muhammad gang. I thought Billy Graham and Jerry Falwell were great.

I'm not really hard right on taxes and trickle down economics, I think it only goes so far and when taken to an extreme, you end up with a Sam Brownback situation like in Kansas. I was just trying to lift the spirits of the Millennials with that motivational video, as they can use a little more "get up and go". When you're young, you shouldn't sit around an wait for things to happen to you, get a part time job and do real things offline, put down that phone and chop some wood or something. If you're not going to college after high school, take some shop classes and learn how to do a brake job on your car, how to measure and cut things, how to weld, how to use tools and do stuff that might save you lots of money over a lifetime, and give you some skills. Oh, and never buy a trailer unless you own the land that it sits on.... lot rent + new trailer = planned poverty. You can use the internet to learn about frost footings, how to assemble panels to build a foundation, framing and carpentry, breaker boxes and electrical wiring, it's all there for you, as is was for me back in the mid 2000's when I rebuilt my home. I did a lot of cussing but it was worth it, even with the 8 stitches and the box cutter knife incident which I won't go into.

I understood the old hippie boomers a little better when the Iraq war was going full swing. Day after day those news reports of the dead soldiers coming in, sometimes 20 or 30 a day getting wasted over there, how it went on and on with little or no progress, actually getting set back before the surge. Those were dark days. Got to thinking what it would be like to have that times ten, then we would know what living thru the Vietnam Era would be like. Losing sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies