Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:14 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I'm an older GenXer, my parents are from the small Silent Generation born DURING the war, and my kids, depending on reports, are either very late Millennials, or GenZ (born between mid 90s to early 2000s).

I agree with you about Millennials being less racist than preceding generations, but GenZ is quickly coming up, and they might be even less racist and sexist than Milennials.

OP, as a proud GenXer, I think I can relate equally IF it's either very late Boomers or very early Millennials. But the collective circumstances of the earliest Boomers and the latter Millennials are too different from that of my own cohort for me to feel I have anything in common with them.
We are just the jaded realists that grew up expecting to die in a nuclear war. So, we partied like 1999. The decade didn't kill us, so we slog on, jaded, and wise beyond our years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:20 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
Neither. I refuse to identify in either direction with two of America's biggest narcissistic generations EVER. I kinda sorta don't mind anymore how they conveniently leave us out of their little inter-generation squabbles, as if we don't exist. It's probably for the best.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That is so true. I can't recall this much political angst. But then again I don't think Reagan, Bush or Clinton pandered to extremes.

I do recall the right wing just going ape-sh*t crazy over Clinton, and the witch hunts, and the distorted bs. That really set the tone for where we are today. A lot of vitriol was spilled during Clinton's term.
It frustrated them to no ends, because they could never nail him on anything. None of those women that accused him of this or that were ever taken seriously. He got away with a lot of stuff that if done by a republican, he would be grilled by the press until he fried. The polarizing started back in '73 with Nixon and Watergate. Clinton scandals were more about sex and money, Nixon's was spying and the cover up activities. Neither Clinton nor Nixon's crimes were exactly what you would call crimes of the century. The republicans wanted to get even for the way they picked and prodded Nixon until he was torn to shreds, it wouldn't have mattered so much if Nixon hadn't been such a great, effective president replaced by a weaker one whom lost the 76 election to an even weaker liberal. It was sad to lose such a powerhouse as Nixon. I was a Watergate kid and very much fascinated by Nixon, even to this day. He was the best, and we lost him. It was like having your faithful rottweiler get hit by a car. You don't know the pain, liberals will never understand about Nixon.

As for the Boomers protesting Vietnam, yes, I understand how they gained support as the war continued with no real progress being made. That is a good reason for protest, but what the Millennials are doing now is not, and I do not support this type of protesting because your candidate lost the election. Not when people are kidnapped (autistic guy in Chicago), property destroyed, assaults ect ect. This is wrong and the media fuels it, the schools controlled by liberals are also to blame for the attitude these young Millennials or Y's have now. It wasn't exactly fun for the right wingers and religious crowd to endure all the stuff Obama was doing either, but they rode it out. Trump is only doing what should have been done long ago, protect the border and control immigration like every other country does. I'm sure there has to be many Millennials that are not quite so technically savvy as the stereotype of them suggest, and many of them live in the ghetto and need a F'ing job, and they shouldn't have to compete with illegals to get one, nor should any other citizen.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Hey are you talking to me ? Are YOU talking to ME ? (De Niro). When I do meet my maker I probably don't want "Big Time" playing on my Rugby2 as I near the pearly gates. I'm not super religious but I'm a believer in Christianity, The Millennials are the least religious and tend to be atheists, that's kinda sad because I think it helps a person to believe in something good, a supreme being and the 10 commandments, at least, and not the evil revenge seeking Muhammad gang. I thought Billy Graham and Jerry Falwell were great.

I'm not really hard right on taxes and trickle down economics, I think it only goes so far and when taken to an extreme, you end up with a Sam Brownback situation like in Kansas. I was just trying to lift the spirits of the Millennials with that motivational video, as they can use a little more "get up and go". When you're young, you shouldn't sit around an wait for things to happen to you, get a part time job and do real things offline, put down that phone and chop some wood or something. If you're not going to college after high school, take some shop classes and learn how to do a brake job on your car, how to measure and cut things, how to weld, how to use tools and do stuff that might save you lots of money over a lifetime, and give you some skills. Oh, and never buy a trailer unless you own the land that it sits on.... lot rent + new trailer = planned poverty. You can use the internet to learn about frost footings, how to assemble panels to build a foundation, framing and carpentry, breaker boxes and electrical wiring, it's all there for you, as is was for me back in the mid 2000's when I rebuilt my home. I did a lot of cussing but it was worth it, even with the 8 stitches and the box cutter knife incident which I won't go into.

I understood the old hippie boomers a little better when the Iraq war was going full swing. Day after day those news reports of the dead soldiers coming in, sometimes 20 or 30 a day getting wasted over there, how it went on and on with little or no progress, actually getting set back before the surge. Those were dark days. Got to thinking what it would be like to have that times ten, then we would know what living thru the Vietnam Era would be like. Losing sucks.
The bold literally made me snarky roll my eyes here.

I'm an atheist, which is rare for me being that I am a black woman who grew up in a very religious family.

IMO being less religious is the reason why Millenials and younger kids are less racists, sexists, and homophobic amongst others. Religions dictate that people need to be judged about nearly every aspect of someone's lives. I would hope to live to the day when the majority of the country is not religious. Many of the extremes even in political life are born from religious adherents and dogmatic rhetoric. FWIW that goes for crazy, nutso atheists as well who make atheism their "religion." I consider myself a secular humanist and I don't view people who adhere to religions poorly. I understand it is a human desire to have something to "believe in." I just never could "get it" even as a child I could not buy into any scriptures. I'll also note that religions do what you did above as well - demonize a whole swath of the globe's population based on prejudicial beliefs of another religion.

One of my favorite Aldous Huxley quotes is: The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of peopel forget that certain other sets of people are HUMAN.

Uppercase added by me. Muslims are not "evil" nor are they a "gang."

I agree though on people sitting around waiting on stuff to happen. That is the main gripe I have with a few people in my life currently. Oddly enough though it is the Gen X/Boomer parents who make those excuses for their kids - that their Millenial kids have it "rough" compared to previous generations and they don't have any opportunities like the Boomers had, yet those kids made bad decisions (have children as teens/early 20s) and don't get educations or employment at companies where they can work their way up. I don't "get" that mindset either.

Politically, I am an independent and have some conservative and some liberal views. Oddly enough though the ones who make the excuses for their grown children are usually liberal Gen Xers or Boomers in my own life. I personally don't think that Millenials are lazy and I don't think they have it all that bad either compared to previous generations. I am excited for them and for the future. I worry about technology taking over and hope I'm dead before that happens lol (I've told my kids they better not ever put any sort of "service" robot in my house cause I think it will kill me lol). But I hope that more people become less religious as I think that will solve a lot of problems.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I "consider" myself to not play into the nonsense that creates this silly marketing game of labeling like "boomer", "millennial", gen X, Y, Z, etc and treating everyone in each of these groups like they are this same homogeneous group.

You nailed it.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I "consider" myself to not play into the nonsense that creates this silly marketing game of labeling like "boomer", "millennial", gen X, Y, Z, etc and treating everyone in each of these groups like they are this same homogeneous group.
Exactly. I have no idea. I know I am a Generation X person just because I fall into that age group. I have no children, so I did not raise a millennial. Am I typical? Statistically, no one is in every way.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The bold literally made me snarky roll my eyes here.

I'm an atheist, which is rare for me being that I am a black woman who grew up in a very religious family.

IMO being less religious is the reason why Millenials and younger kids are less racists, sexists, and homophobic amongst others. Religions dictate that people need to be judged about nearly every aspect of someone's lives. I would hope to live to the day when the majority of the country is not religious. Many of the extremes even in political life are born from religious adherents and dogmatic rhetoric. FWIW that goes for crazy, nutso atheists as well who make atheism their "religion." I consider myself a secular humanist and I don't view people who adhere to religions poorly. I understand it is a human desire to have something to "believe in." I just never could "get it" even as a child I could not buy into any scriptures. I'll also note that religions do what you did above as well - demonize a whole swath of the globe's population based on prejudicial beliefs of another religion.

One of my favorite Aldous Huxley quotes is: The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of peopel forget that certain other sets of people are HUMAN.

Uppercase added by me. Muslims are not "evil" nor are they a "gang."
Well, if you're a black woman whom grew up in a very religious family, then you ought to know about soul. Not talking about music here, I'm talking about ghosts. If you can believe even one person in history has seen a ghost, a spirit form of a person that was once a living being, then that alone gives great challenge to the idea that we are just flesh and blood. Of course, just like alien and UFO sightings, most reports on ghosts are probably made up. But there have been many cases where the person that reported the incident did not have a motive, and in fact sometimes had something to lose for fear people might think they are nuts. But they reported it because they really saw it, and perhaps want it on the record as a matter of research and investigation. Don't get the idea I pour over crazy TV shows about UFO's and Ghosts because I know they make up most of that stuff for entertainment, but a shred of it is true. All I can say is Christianity is a very "spiritual" religion.

I know not all Muslims are evil, but in the end they will always shut you down, if you are a non believer. If they have the numbers to do it, they will not tolerate any religious minorities living among them, even in countries like Turkey, they persecute the Christian and Jewish religions. Really, there is not much separation of church and state in ME countries, they are fundamentalists in nature. I see Muslim immigrants as "enemies in waiting" based on their quarrelsome behavior not only in their home nations, but from their conduct in Europe. When they fight each other, they do it in a most cruel and savage manner. Plus they are unskilled and we already have enough unskilled. If I was forced at gunpoint by Hillary to choose between letting one Muslim or five Mexicans into my neighborhood, I would pick the 5 Mexicans, lol.

For these Millennials protesting, I think they are doing it against their own self interests. Not only is it disruptive to everyone around them, it's just plain stupid to waste your time that way. There are other ways to socialize with each other than stand around all day on street corners looking for trouble. They used to enforce vagrancy and loitering laws back in the old days, I think they need to bring that back. Skipping out on school to protest only hurts themselves, the schools/teachers probably promote it so they can get a day off and freeload the system. Schools should not push politics and social agendas, their primary mission is getting the kids the skills they will need to enter the work force when they graduate, and prepare them for college. Dumb kids should learn vocational skills related to blue collar jobs, smart kids should have strong reading, math and science skills and be ready to go on to Liberty University and be shaped by the guiding light of Rev Jerry Falwell Jr. to be whatever they want to be. Not to some sodom and gomorrah like Harvard or Berkeley.

Last edited by mofford; 02-22-2017 at 10:01 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Boomers for sure. Who would want anything to do with the entitled whining brats that make up the millennial generation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies