Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times

Advertisements

"It seems only documented war crimes or child molestation would be disqualifying at this point."

[url=http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/02/13/donald-trump-bill-clinton-cabinet-nominees-ethics-hypocrisy-puzder-ross-column-ross-baker/97830344/]Trump delivers the death blow to ethics: Ross K. Baker[/url]

In November many people said they were voting for the lesser of 2 evils, whether they checked Clinton or Trump on the ballot.

Have we gotten to a point that anyone who runs is acceptable, if he/she tells people what they want to hear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 12:41 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
When fabrications are relabeled 'alternative facts', are there really any ethical standards left?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:44 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
its all a figment of your imagination honey- forget about it- drink some hot tea and relax yourself- we working ourselves up into a tizzy-- relax- look at the pretty birds in the sky-

when the fires starts- I'll let ya know,,, this is insanity

Old 02-13-2017, 12:51 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
"It seems only documented war crimes or child molestation would be disqualifying at this point."

Trump delivers the death blow to ethics: Ross K. Baker

In November many people said they were voting for the lesser of 2 evils, whether they checked Clinton or Trump on the ballot.

Have we gotten to a point that anyone who runs is acceptable, if he/she tells people what they want to hear?
Donald Trump apologized on national TV for the things he said in a private conversation.

What else was he supposed to do?

Old 02-13-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When fabrications are relabeled 'alternative facts', are there really any ethical standards left?
You make a valid point. I feel the same way about our educational system. Remember when Sarah Palin kept using the word "repudiate?" In 2010, the Oxford Dictionary named the word she inadvertently created as "word of the year." I suppose we hear new words all the time, but it was used in place of "refudiate" so we just decided to accept it. During the last presidential campaign, the internet was all abuzz with questions about Trump's use of "bigly." I think the media concluded that he was saying big league, which he repeated frequently.

Maybe that's not an ethical issue, but our standards in general have been lowered. I hear "shudda went" on TV and I even heard "a whole 'nother" on the news one night. A few years back, I watched a local news anchor report that "the guy" was caught. She kept referring to the suspect or perpetrator as "the guy." I realize she was probably reading from a teleprompter, but proper usage of the English language has deteriorated. Maybe it's because we now live in a text message world or it's a tool to appeal to a larger audience? In any case, it's as if slang is the vernacular of the present.

Last edited by justNancy; 02-13-2017 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 02-13-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Donald Trump apologized on national TV for the things he said in a private conversation.

What else was he supposed to do?
I never mentioned the Access Hollywood tape. Did you read the article? It's not all about Trump. It discusses the downhill spiral that ethics in politics has taken over the past decades. Here's just one of the lines from it.

"The slide into ethical relativism accelerated with Clinton's denial of various affairs and his casuistry on the subject of what constituted "sexual relations" with Monica Lewinsky."

Old 02-13-2017, 01:20 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
We've lowered our standards for everything these days.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
We've lowered our standards for everything these days.
That's true. I'm not judging anyone who watches Reality Shows, but I always wonder who enjoys watching married couples fight on TV or those "Real Housewives of.." shows. Sorry, but I don't get it.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:26 PM

27,660 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Many moons ago..

Old 02-13-2017, 01:37 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,103,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Trump delivers the death blow to ethics: Ross K. Baker

Well, if Bill Clinton can sexually exploit an intern his daughter's age, and then commit perjury in his attempt to hide that fact, and not be removed from office, what are you dems worried about ethics for?

I would say that was the death blow to ethics in Washington.

Or maybe it was allowing Hillary to overtly commit espionage, and pay for play as a matter of routine.

Yes, If Bill didn't kill off ethics, Hillary sure did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies