Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:08 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
This will be won. These lefty judges and libs will be shut down.

Can't wait
Just please answer two questions for me: Have you read the order by the 9th Circuit panel of judges that upheld the stay of the EO? If yes, did you read any of the cases cited in the order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 02:11 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Undocumented immigrants DO have legal rights under the U.S. Constitution and federal statute.
I have to disagree with this. If people are here illegally, the Constitution doesn't protect them. I was only referring to people who are in the country legally which includes tourists, guest workers and alien residents, refugees, etc.

Undocumented persons are not protected because they were not given permission to enter the U.S. in the first place. However, I do agree that the OP is wrong about categorizing "foreigners" in general.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I have to disagree with this. If people are here illegally, the Constitution doesn't protect them. I was only referring to people who are in the country legally which includes tourists, guest workers and alien residents, refugees, etc.

Undocumented persons are not protected because they were not given permission to enter the U.S. in the first place. However, I do agree that the OP is wrong about categorizing "foreigners" in general.
Even people who are here illegally have rights to due process and equal protection. If they are accused of a crime they are entitled to be tried by a jury, have an attorney appointed, etc. They can't just be tossed in jail and they can't be punished more harshly because of their immigration status. Foreigners who have never set foot in the U.S. but own property here are also entitled to due process with regard to the property.

Those are just two examples.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Citizens of other countries do not have a right to come here, and therefore do not have rights as American citizens do.
We can deny entry. It's our country and we make the rules.
How very hospitable of you.

Yes... the country belongs to the citizenry. But, not all the citizens are isolationists and they want people to be able to come here through proper channels.

You sound like you've already decided that none of them should be allowed entry.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Even people who are here illegally have rights to due process and equal protection. If they are accused of a crime they are entitled to be tried by a jury, have an attorney appointed, etc. They can't just be tossed in jail and they can't be punished more harshly because of their immigration status. Foreigners who have never set foot in the U.S. but own property here are also entitled to due process with regard to the property.

Those are just two examples.
You are correct. I was thinking of this holistically. As in "full rights, same as if they came here legally."

Which isn't the case. But, they do have some pretty basic rights that cannot be ignored. If we didn't do that, who knows what people would do to them?

Old 02-14-2017, 02:23 PM

There have been numerous statements made that are wrong, even by Trump. He once talked about revoking a person's citizenship for flag burning. Even a serial killer who is a legal U.S. citizen cannot have his citizenship revoked. After they strap him to a table and stick a needle in him, he's still a U.S. citizen.

So it's no wonder that there are debates on an Internet forum. Illegal means illegal. The travel ban was not about illegal immigration. That is an entirely different subject. The ban kept people who were already given permission to enter the United States from returning to their jobs, homes or visit their families. Many of them had worked/lived in the U.S. for several years.

I wonder if Mar-a-Lago guest workers were kept from working in Palm Beach? Oh, wait! They aren't Muslim. They're only guest workers from Mexico.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:24 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
This will be won. These lefty judges and libs will be shut down.

Can't wait
I agree.

Foreign nationals can APPLY to come to the U.S. Their application can be accepted or rejected.

That's as far as their rights go.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No he wasn't. A VISA doesn't make someone a permanent resident.
Actually, a green card is just a different type of visa.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You are correct. I was thinking of this holistically. As in "full rights, same as if they came here legally."

Which isn't the case. But, they do have some pretty basic rights that cannot be ignored. If we didn't do that, who knows what people would do to them?

I agree, but I think basic human rights are protected by International Law. I see what you're saying, however. In other words, if someone finds out a family is living here illegally, does he have the right to murder them? Can a U.S. citizen rape without fear of punishment?

Old 02-14-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree.

Foreign nationals can APPLY to come to the U.S. Their application can be accepted or rejected.

That's as far as their rights go.
I'm pretty sure that applicants cannot be discriminated against based on their religion, color, race, ethnicity or sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies