Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:01 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
America is not a terrible country, but it's failing in every major category. In no particular order:

Infrastructure - It's pathetic and even scary. Roads, bridges, electrical grid etc.. all outdated, all vulnerable to cause harm to many people. Other countries are way ahead of us in this category.

Treating Vets Like crap
With regards to these two topics:

1. Infrastructure: I agree with what Trump says about it. He's spot on in recognizing the problems. (Often, he's been pretty good in identifying problems, but not so effective in understanding the root cause, nor the cure). With his isolationist (non-global) agenda, and with his diversion of building a wall that we have to pay for, I don't see how we can focus on infrastructure without accruing even more debt.

2. Vets: He's been a disaster for vets, putting in hiring freezes where the VA is woefully short-staffed, and threatening to cut funding to programs that benefit vets. He's disrespected our vets at every opportunity (McCain, Gold Star Family, even the Starbucks slams). Again, he recognized the problem, but used it to gain votes without bringing any viable solutions.

Our country, while still (IMO) the best place on earth, does have problems. If we all take off the gloves, I think we all really KNOW that the problems are due to disfunctional leadership. It's not a D/R problem, it's a systemic problem. Dems and Reps are both part of the same system that is not getting things done.

As many challenges as we have, I still wake up every morning KNOWING I am blessed to be here, and not somewhere else. Those of us that feel that way (a huge majority of people) want to take a great nation, and make it even better. Some of us wear blue, some of us wear red, but most of us have the same goal in mind.

With all of that said, Trump is no conservative for sure. He's not a Rep or a Dem. It's fine with me if you have different solutions for our country than I do, that's a GOOD thing. But Trump has been an absolute failure on almost everything he's touched so far. People have given him a chance, and he keeps on making things worse. Russia, the constitution, the undermining of vets, the undermining of justices, the undermining of his own staff, the lack of vetting of his own staff, the ameture-hour review of secure documents at his country club while people take pictures, Conway, Spicer.... This guy is not making anyone great. Not even himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Fear. tRump preyed on their fears. Hitler did the same in Germany. Hitler blamed the Jews; tRump blamed anyone who isn't white.

^^^^^ This pretty much sums it up. Trump found something inside a lot of people that they were thinking, but afraid to say out loud themselves. He found people who disliked Obama and exploited that into "America has lot and lots of bigly problems !"

We Americans are spoiled rotten. We live in a country of opportunities and relative safety. The people who are trying to come in are not doing it to get away from a good life, they are coming because they live in Hell.

I don't get where all this negativity comes from. If some of these people were somehow transported to one of the other countries on earth, they would soon realize how great America is right now, today.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:15 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People were pissed at the Republicans and the stupid wars. Where Obama messed up was in making the exact same stupid mistakes. Ones no one seems to be learning.

This all goes back to keeping Wall Street funded. But people will continue voting for that for some odd reason I can't comprehend.
Scientific determinism : Since every event in nature has a cause or causes that account for its occurrence, and since human beings exist in nature, human acts and choices are as determined as anything else in the world. Behavior may be determined by many things (e.g., heredity, environment), but it certainly can be explained in terms of such causal factors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism

There is a reason for everything.

Before you try to understand the present, you need to understand the past. How did humans get from where we were, to where we are? There is a perfectly rational reason for everything.

And if you could isolate the one force which has guided all of human history, it would simply be "power".

It is power which has always governed humanity. This is a Darwinian world, where good guys finish last.

A government which existed only to do good, would be destroyed.

Obama did what he had to do. And the common people are always manipulated by those with power and influence, to do their bidding.

Power rules. It always has, it always will. And the sooner you realize that you are unimportant, and inconsequential, the better.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:21 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Re: the "Power rules" comment:

Stephen Miller’s authoritarian declaration: Trump’s national security actions ‘will not be questioned’

Quote:
The end result of this, though, is that our opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...?client=safari

Where are the cheerleaders for authoritarian rule?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:25 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Scientific determinism : Since every event in nature has a cause or causes that account for its occurrence, and since human beings exist in nature, human acts and choices are as determined as anything else in the world. Behavior may be determined by many things (e.g., heredity, environment), but it certainly can be explained in terms of such causal factors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism

There is a reason for everything.

Before you try to understand the present, you need to understand the past. How did humans get from where we were, to where we are? There is a perfectly rational reason for everything.

And if you could isolate the one force which has guided all of human history, it would simply be "power".

It is power which has always governed humanity. This is a Darwinian world, where good guys finish last.

A government which existed only to do good, would be destroyed.
I disagree. You can argue minutia if you want but the Scandinavian countries do a pretty good job of minding their own business, simply looking after themselves and taking care of their people.

The thing they have that we do not is they come far closer to agreeing what is best for their country.

One party condemns the war actions of the other party here but then remains quiet when their party does it. One party condemns the deficit spending of one party then remains quiet when their party does it.

Doing good is not going to destroy the country, blind partisan politics will.

Quote:
Obama did what he had to do. And the common people are always manipulated by those with power and influence, to do their bidding.

Power rules. It always has, it always will. And the sooner you realize that you are unimportant, and inconsequential, the better.
Sorry, I wasn't complete. Blind partisan politics and lame excuses for those actions will do it.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Re: the "Power rules" comment:

Stephen Miller’s authoritarian declaration: Trump’s national security actions ‘will not be questioned’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...?client=safari

Where are the cheerleaders for authoritarian rule?
Switching sides.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:27 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Trumps a business man so think financial.

The liberal press will minimize the Carrier deal, pointing out that 1,000 jobs will not of itself lift economic growth, and that structural cost problems remain for U.S. manufacturers. Paying Mexican laborers three dollars an hour is a powerful enticement; workers in Indianapolis are making more than $20.

Carrier deal is proof that Trump is already making America great again | Fox News

Bringing back these jobs that pay a decent wage for Americans instead of outsourcing them to use slave labor in the south.
The middle of this country use to be humming with decent factory jobs. That is another of his means to make America great again.
Similar to when Gordon Gekko asked Bud Fox if his father was president of any other airline unions, is Mike Pence governor of any other states where he can OK tax breaks for companies?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This guy is not making anyone great. Not even himself.
Repped post! While I agree with this last statement, the thing that I find the most disconcerting. Even though I never "liked" the guy, I honestly believe he wanted to do what is best for the country. Why would anyone put themselves through this otherwise?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
More re: power rules:

A chronically fearful people are more easily divided, & therefore & thereby are more easily conquered.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:31 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This answer is interesting.

What about Trump says "this man understands what it's like to be a regular American" though?
Trump is like no other politician before or probably after. He goofs up, says what's on his mind, he speaks the language of the common man. He goes to the issues that matter to the middle class family the most. The middle class working man wants a job and does not want illegals here, wants rule of law, and wants our military and law enforcement officers respected.

Also regarding my comment about Main St vs Wall St and corporate America. Where do I start, bailouts, NAFTA, wages, squeezing more productivity out of us without compensation, the list goes on... I knew that Hillary would continue the war on the middle class man that's been going on since Reagan, I'm hoping that Trump will reverse this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies