Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Are we talking about the same Humana that covers Millions of people people 65 or older?
Yes we are talking about the same Humana, for profit, publicly traded company that just declared a 38% increase in the first quarter dividend.

Humana is exiting the entire individual Plan business and doubling down on the Medicare Advantage where more than 85% have one chronic condition and 66% have multiple chronic conditions. The difference is obvious, Medicare is the primary payer.

Health insurers have been cherry picking or exiting the individual plan markets for more than 25 years because they lose money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 06:20 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
That's right, people were dying in the street.
Yes, people were dying as they didnt have the money to pay for basic procedures. It was organized culling of the working class.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Talk to us about a coverage for all system when you figure out how to get 100% of the people to pay for it.... income be damned. You want to go to a regressive tax system instead of a progressive system? I'm good with that........
We all are already paying for the medical care of the sickest (elderly/disabled on Medicare). Insurance companies don't want them.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They need to get the govt out of health care completely, no revamp.
Does not appear POTUS agrees.

He has promised to "replace Obamacare with something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it.

Just last week, Pence double- downed on this sans the part of government paying for it.

The week prior, Spucer is on record saying if you like your plan/ Doctor......

Only way to reduce premiums is to cut benefits.

Of course none of this does anything about the actual cost of healthcare or that 75% of us are overweight- obese and substantially more vulnerable to serious disease.

20 million of us have been diagnosed with Diabetes 2 which on average costs about $10,000 a year to treat.

Reportedly and incremental 20 million are pre-Diabetic.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Companies were bailing way before Trump got elected.
Health insurers have bn bailing the Individual Plan Markets for more than 25 years.

About 7-9% ( depends on source) of insured people are in the Individual Plan Market.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
It's ok because Trump is going to repeal and replace it with a beautiful, tremendous plan on day one. "Believe me!"

Old 02-14-2017, 06:40 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We all are already paying for the medical care of the sickest (elderly/disabled on Medicare). Insurance companies don't want them.
And those people paid in 40 years or more for that through their payroll taxes.. They deserve that care. You said, and I quote, "public option (a.k.a. Medicare for all." That is a whole other can of worms.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Insurance companies are complaining that there are too many people with insurance, they are losing money, so they hike up rates.

Here's my thing...and I'm not a big socially driven person...isn't kind of creepy to think all those years we could afford health care because the insurance companies refused to cover people who really needed it.

Makes me feel like I'm being selfish, self centered ...a bad Christian...when I say --- give me the old system. Let me have my lower insurance rates and just don't tell me about all those other people that don't have coverage.

Just doesn't seem right does it?
Before someone whips out the myth of state High Risk Pools, let me nip that in the bud.

More than half the states did not have such pools and those that did excluded more people than they covered. TCtics used to exclude included but we're not limited to:

Closing the pool

Excluding certain conditions

Capping annual claims

No capping out of pocket expenses

Premiums only the very wealthy could afford

At peak, only 200,000 were insured by state high risk insurance pools, nation wide.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
I hope those crazies don't just drop people children elderly out in the cold with no insurance to pay for Meds, antibiotics, surgeries etc. the repercussions be grave...

Old 02-14-2017, 06:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
And those people paid in 40 years or more for that through their payroll taxes.. They deserve that care. You said, and I quote, "public option (a.k.a. Medicare for all." That is a whole other can of worms.
Paul Ryan does not agree with you about the people who paid into Medicare deserving that care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies