Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times

Advertisements

I'm no fan of his at all, but I'm glad to see he's doing this, and wish Obama or prior Presidents had stood up and done this first. There's no reason we should be shouldering the burden for other countries' defenses when we have our own people suffering.

Pentagon Chief Mattis: NATO Members Must Pay Up - The Daily Beast

This whole thing reminds me of the Libya airstrikes in which the UK was getting concerned that they were going to run out of cruise missiles, which is when we stepped in to start launching our own. Those things aren't cheap and we could've used that money for other stuff.

Libya: Navy running short of Tomahawk missiles - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 01:23 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
we gain a lot from those bases, and we charge a lot for our services too... We sell a lot of stuff to the EU which we would not if we backed out of NATO... they buy a lot of our platforms etc... but el trumpo ignores how his actions will impact those sales.... I mean those f35s are not cheap and selling some does help.... but part of the reason we get the sales is that it helps to have the same or close assets..

Old 02-15-2017, 01:48 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
we gain a lot from those bases, and we charge a lot for our services too... We sell a lot of stuff to the EU which we would not if we backed out of NATO... they buy a lot of our platforms etc... but el trumpo ignores how his actions will impact those sales.... I mean those f35s are not cheap and selling some does help.... but part of the reason we get the sales is that it helps to have the same or close assets..
I'm not sure you're understanding the demand by our SoD, and for at least the past two or three SoD's, our NATO partners agreed to invest at least 2% of their GNP towards defense, only 3 or 4 have. Mattis isn't threatening to pull out, but he's warning we can easily scale back. Only another veiled threat unless Trump puts some teeth behind it.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:51 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I'm not sure you're understanding the demand by our SoD, and for at least the past two or three SoD's, our NATO partners agreed to invest at least 2% of their GNP towards defense, only 3 or 4 have.
It was a non-binding declaration of intent, and do you know what the agreed-upon deadline was? 2024.

It's becoming increasingly clear that on Jan 20th, Germany became the leader of the Free World.

If it wasn't so damn unethical I'd be investing in European arms companies.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I'm no fan of his at all, but I'm glad to see he's doing this, and wish Obama or prior Presidents had stood up and done this first. There's no reason we should be shouldering the burden for other countries' defenses when we have our own people suffering.

This whole thing reminds me of the Libya airstrikes in which the UK was getting concerned that they were going to run out of cruise missiles, which is when we stepped in to start launching our own. Those things aren't cheap and we could've used that money for other stuff.

We let them slide for 2 reasons:

1. We can hold it over them when we need them to do something in our interest.

2. We want them beholden to us so we can do business in their countries.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:22 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
We let them slide for 2 reasons:

1. We can hold it over them when we need them to do something in our interest.

2. We want them beholden to us so we can do business in their countries.

1 - It's not working... they are fighting back when we do things they don't like. Always have, no reason to stop now...

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...antic-data-war

2. We have trade agreements that do the same without costing tax payers billions.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:07 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

Oh yeah, we lose money at the public level so that private weapon contractors can sell their platforms. Tell ya what, how about we raise your taxes so that I can sell some of my crap to da guberment. I'd love that deal.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post

You don't know Americans want to be there? - its about domination--- we have assets all over the globe- that's is what makes us the biggest and strongest-

Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You don't know Americans want to be there? - its about domination--- we have assets all over the globe- that's is what makes us the biggest and strongest-

Look at all the neocons infesting the left. i have to admit you have done a good job infiltrating the hippies and radicalizing them to support the globalist empire. However like they say, you can't fool all the people all the time.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's becoming increasingly clear that on Jan 20th, Germany became the leader of the Free World.
Good, let them pick up the tab.

How much of your personal worth is based upon the US being the leader? Do you also make sure you drive the most expensive car on your block?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies