Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 09:23 AM

15,049 posts, read 10,022,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them.
You are arguing something I didn't say... When comes push to shove, reality isn't like that...

Laws are just words if we don't enforce them. We as a country are just as responsible for allowing it to happen... the end result of ripping families apart is much more far reaching than you realize. We as a country are better than that.

In my state, we forced an illegal tent city to close... for homeless. Certainly they were breaking the law. We are in the right. I know of one former tenant who froze to death in the winter. They were breaking the law yes... but they will do what they need to survive. I'm not so sure i want to be a country that treats people like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:29 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,247,182 times
Illegal vs. legal- when is this going to be sorted out? It doesn't matter how hard you work or how productive you are. Have you gone through the process to become a citizen if you plan on staying here permanently?

Also, am I supposed to feel sorry for men and women who have been in this country for years and have not started the process to become a citizen? What excuse do these people have when they have been here 10, 15, 30 years? They didn't have time, or what? They are making more money here than they made in their homeland, isn't that the biggest reason why they come here? So, I don't want to hear money and the process being too expensive/takes too long used as an excuse.

Last edited by Prosze; 02-16-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,493,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Illegal vs. legal- when is this going to be sorted out? It doesn't matter how hard you work or how productive you are. Have you gone through the process to become a citizen if you plan on staying here permanently?

Also, am I supposed to feel sorry for men and women who have been in this country for years and have not started the process to become a citizen? What excuse do these people have when they have been here 10, 15, 30 years? They didn't have time, or what? They are making more money here than they made in their homeland, isn't that the biggest reason why the come here? So, I don't want to hear money and the process being too expensive/takes too long used as an excuse.
They can't. The only viable ways for them to apply for legal immigration: marry a citizen or go back home and apply for it.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:39 AM

62,655 posts, read 28,833,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You are arguing something I didn't say... When comes push to shove, reality isn't like that...

Laws are just words if we don't enforce them. We as a country are just as responsible for allowing it to happen... the end result of ripping families apart is much more far reaching than you realize. We as a country are better than that.

In my state, we forced an illegal tent city to close... for homeless. Certainly they were breaking the law. We are in the right. I know of one former tenant who froze to death in the winter. They were breaking the law yes... but they will do what they need to survive. I'm not so sure i want to be a country that treats people like that.
I am well aware of what you posted. "We" law abiding Americans are not going to pay for the negligence of our government of not enforcing immigration laws as they should have been. The Obama administration was a prime example of that. Our current one seems to be different. Why should families be ripped apart when they can return to their homelands together? We as a country are better than that? No, we as a country are a nation of laws. Nothing bad about enforcing our immigration laws.

As I said no one has the right to survive by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. The man who froze only has himself to blame. He should have turned himself in and allowed ICE to deport him and he wouldn't be dead today. It would have been done in a humane way. You must be a bleeding heart liberal and I have no use for them.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They can't. The only viable ways for them to apply for legal immigration: marry a citizen or go back home and apply for it.
Marrying a citizen just to attain legal status is against the law. If here illegally the only recourse they have is to return to their countries and apply to come back legally. There are no other options nor should there be.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I am well aware of what you posted. "We" law abiding Americans are not going to pay for the negligence of our government of not enforcing immigration laws as they should have been. The Obama administration was a prime example of that. Our current one seems to be different. Why should families be ripped apart when they can return to their homelands together? We as a country are better than that? No, we as a country are a nation of laws. Nothing bad about enforcing our immigration laws.
I would only agree with you sentiment if our country wasn't responsible for letting the situation take root to begin with. We as a country are responsible... A child born here is no more a citizen of their parent's native country than their parents are here.

Quote:
As I said no one has the right to survive by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. The man who froze only has himself to blame. He should have turned himself in and allowed ICE to deport him and he wouldn't be dead today. It would have been done in a humane way. You must be a bleeding heart liberal and I have no use for those type of people.
The person who froze to death was a citizen.... albeit he was still breaking the law by squatting on land that wasn't his... he paid for it with his life. That's not the type of country we should strive for.

Securing the borders and a strict amnesty program (to pay for our mistakes as a country) is a compromise that I think most people, regardless of politics, can accept. However, amnesty program with our current insecure borders will just make the problem worse.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,247,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

I'm sorry? They are living here illegally anyway, why don't they use their homeland information to apply? Excuses, excuses, excuses. People that cannot sneak in manage to get through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I'm going to bold the part you missed

meaning most welfare in my area use the same eligible criteria.

I'm quite sure what having multiple families occupying a single family dwelling has to do with section 8. I say those families are doing the right thing (regardless of housing regulations) because they, unlike many Americans, are living within their means rather than above it.
You seem to be justifying the presence of illegal aliens in our country with each post. One doesn't live within their means by ignoring laws.

7,264 posts, read 4,181,901 times
Quote:
How many people do you know that hire illegals to clean their houses and mow their lawns? Just curious because I know very few people that hire that out and of those I do know they use a local service and none of the them are illegals. I actually know a few women who clean houses for a living and they are citizens of the Caucasian variety.
The neighbor to my left (who is from India) does, and the neighbor to my right (who is black) does. I can't tell you for sure if they are all illegals, but my guess would be that they are since they try to keep a low profile.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
You seem to be justifying the presence of illegal aliens in our country with each post. One doesn't live within their means by ignoring laws.
No.. I'm not. I'm simply concerned what's going to happen to the children of those families. What you are saying looks fine on paper but in reality that's not what this country is all about. Those children are not to be blamed but they are the ones to pay the price.. and ultimately we all will. They are no more citizens of their parent's native country than their parents here. Children shouldn't pay the price... we should as a country. We are not without responsibility for the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies