Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Again I'm not to sure if we will see an increase of marriage in the US. With the election of Donald Trump, Trump is planning on cutting and gutting plenty of government office jobs that mainly employ women. These women will most likely have to get married to maintain their livelihood. Trump wants to cut welfare, wants to cut food stamps and cut all other social programs that benefit women. These women will not have to get married in order to maintain their livelihood. In the next few years due to Trump presidency we will see an increase of marriage. This is why plenty of women across the country are having women marches against Trump administration due to the rollback of female gains from the past 50 years. Its not going to be easy for an average guy with an average income, but did poor with women, end up marrying a broke woman who already has her own family of two kids from a previous relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 04:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I am seeing less marriages out there, but more cohabitation..especially with welfare single moms who don't tell welfare they are living with the "baby daddy", he is working, there are getting welfare..... btw its illegal
Are ^ welfare single moms your neighbors that you seem to know so much about them?

If so, why not report them?

Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Delaying marriage or not marrying is a global thing in the developed world.

The poorer the country the more likely a father continues to sell his daughter into marriage at a very young age as was once common nearly everywhere.

About 70% of Icelandic mothers never marry and reportedly most do not live with the father(s) of their children. Moms work and the Nordic welfare system takes care of the rest.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:15 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
About 70% of Icelandic mothers never marry and reportedly most do not live with the father(s) of their children. Moms work and the Nordic welfare system takes care of the rest.
In the interest of full disclosure, that is a very old Icelandic norm. Bastardry never carried a stigma on Iceland.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:20 PM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
It seems like we're going full-circle. Women used to be economically dependent on men and marriage rates used to be high. Then there was the whole Women's Liberation movement that took off in the 70s. That resulted in a lot of single men and women. Maybe in the 70s, 80s and 90s a single person could afford his or her own house. Not any more. Many people cannot even have a 1-bdrm apartment unless they split rent with someone. Dual incomes is becoming one of the major motivators behind men and women getting together. Ironically, men and women are more economically dependent on each other than ever before.
I do not accept the premise of your assertion. While some of what you said might have somewhat of an effect, the main reason marriage has steadily decreased is because of the decline of morals, traditional values, and religious adherence.
There was a strong social stigma associated to having sex and/or living together outside of wedlock. That was especially true of pregnancy where the children were referred to as bastards.
Today, just about any perversion is declared a so called "lifestyle choice", so it is hardly surprising that society does not view hetero sex before marriage as small potatoes compared to the freaks.

Heck, I imagine that the freaks of today might be viewed less harshly when you can have multiple people of various sexes all getting married together at the same time. If one dies and they all want to engage in some necrophilia for a while, will that raise eyebrows?
Or maybe when Bubba legally marries his sheep or pedophiles are demanding "their rights", that will make the current crop of freaks seem tame.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree with you, but also she needs to bring more to the table as well. These days women want to whole package. Nothing wrong with that. In matter of fact, I believe in women freedom and choice with what they want. Women want happiness and again nothing wrong with that and I'm all for it or that. But top notch men are very rare, and top notch men are less likely to commit. Go to DC and NYC and see all the top quality men who cheat day in and day out and the women can't do nothing about it.

These days men are being cautious with entering relationships with women who have families and women who amounted debts over the years from getting degree after degree.
I totally agree.

Everyone needs to bring something to the table. Just as it's no longer enough for a man to bring home the bacon, it's no longer enough for the woman to cook it.

I've been through a divorce, and I was the initiator. It was a pretty bad experience, and I made up my mind then that I'd never have a second one. For a couple decades, I was flat out anti-marriage. I've softened in my old(er) age - there are some very practical reasons to be married. But so far, none of them have been sufficient reason for me to get married again.

Yes, having the right person in your life is much better than being alone. But being alone is FAR, FAR better than having the wrong person. And the hell of it is that there is no guarantee that the right person won't turn into the wrong person.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I don't understand your post. A man needs to offer more to a women (who needs) his money to get by? To have the privilege of marrying her???
Put it this way - I'd much rather live out of a shopping cart than be legally tied to a man who thinks that because he has more money than I do, he can and should control my life.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not in the context of the woman needing the man's money, that was all yours. A man may show up with a big paycheck as part of his assets, but women are no longer considered failures for holding out for more than just that, and good on them.
Yes, you have read my meaning correctly.

Sorry to everyone who was confused.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I totally agree.

Everyone needs to bring something to the table. Just as it's no longer enough for a man to bring home the bacon, it's no longer enough for the woman to cook it.

I've been through a divorce, and I was the initiator. It was a pretty bad experience, and I made up my mind then that I'd never have a second one. For a couple decades, I was flat out anti-marriage. I've softened in my old(er) age - there are some very practical reasons to be married. But so far, none of them have been sufficient reason for me to get married again.

Yes, having the right person in your life is much better than being alone. But being alone is FAR, FAR better than having the wrong person. And the hell of it is that there is no guarantee that the right person won't turn into the wrong person.
Being alone is the scary part. More and more women are dying alone because they are not married, or do not have the finances to take care of themselves, even their kids cant help them. This is why marriage is important when old age because one needs a partner to make life saving choices.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Again I'm not to sure if we will see an increase of marriage in the US. With the election of Donald Trump, Trump is planning on cutting and gutting plenty of government office jobs that mainly employ women. These women will most likely have to get married to maintain their livelihood. Trump wants to cut welfare, wants to cut food stamps and cut all other social programs that benefit women. These women will not have to get married in order to maintain their livelihood. In the next few years due to Trump presidency we will see an increase of marriage. This is why plenty of women across the country are having women marches against Trump administration due to the rollback of female gains from the past 50 years. Its not going to be easy for an average guy with an average income, but did poor with women, end up marrying a broke woman who already has her own family of two kids from a previous relationship.

Those are freebie government things, too many wasteful gov jobs. Women can compete in the private employment marketplace like men. Gains are better education which women have, and they can use to get real jobs - welfare and useless gov jobs is charity, not a win for women's equality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies