Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 06:27 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
And they get to pick and choose who they help. Good Catholic, no problem. Atheist, not so much.
As far as I know they do not turn anyone away or require anyone to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Why do you keep bringing up bridges? Does the federal government mandate that I buy bridge insurance and if I don't I will be fined?

Funds for infrastructure are necessary for the "general welfare" meaning that a society reaches an agreement to pool funds to build roads and bridges. Funds for roads can come from property taxes, fuel taxes, municipal bond measures, etc. No one is saying that infrastructure is not something that members of a community shouldn't pay for and you are just using a stupid straw man argument to side step the fact that Obamacare is nothing more than the Government forcing people to purchase a product and placing punitive consequences for those who do not purchase the government mandated product.

Federal Taxes are not voluntary and failure to pay taxes can result in imprisonment. THAT means the government can take your income and you have no power to stop them. That is THEFT.
Taxes will never be voluntary. That's just plain stupid.

Last edited by ahzzie; 02-16-2017 at 06:59 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As far as I know they do not turn anyone away or require anyone to do anything.
So you think these charities could take care of our entire population's healthcare needs consistently and effectively without question? Can they take care of the thousands of people with cancer who will need a lifetime's worth of medical care? They'll also be taking care of people's routine health needs; checkups, preventative care, etc.? And what about the elderly? Can they also take care of them while fulfilling all of those other obligations?

Charities are fine for the small stuff but not the health needs of an entire nation. That's just not feasible in any stretch of the imagination. Only universal coverage can do something like that. Another poster stated that he didn't mind paying taxes for bridges because it's for the "general welfare". Well if anything should be funded by taxes for the "general welfare" it should be guaranteed healthcare for all. We all need it and we all use it.

None of the Republican ACA replacement plans are even worth the paper they're written on. That's why they're getting such backlash from all corners of the nation these days. It's just now dawning on a lot of them that Obamacare and the ACA are one in the same and Trump lied to them about a decent replacement.

People don't want to lose their coverage. If they do how do you think the Republicans are going to fair in the mid terms next year when they'll be taking the full brunt of the anger from all the people who will be kicked off their insurance? I don't know about you but I don't think that's going look very favorable for them.

Last edited by ahzzie; 02-16-2017 at 07:14 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Your premiums are so high because absolutely nothing was done to address the cost side.
Wrong. Obamacare is income based and the subsidies are according to a tiered scale. As your income goes up, your subsidy goes down. At a certain income and above you don't qualify for anything and you pay full ticket price while people who qualify get subsidies to bring their rate down.

Oh and by the way, you do realize that I could be a millionaire and as long as I keep my income down I could get subsidies right? That's because it's income based, not asset based.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
One of the BEST things you have done Mr. President!

IRS no longer enforcing Obamacare Individual Mandate.

The Internal Revenue Service will no longer require tax filers to indicate whether they had health coverage or pay a penalty set under Obamacare.

IRS, citing Trump’s executive order, said it would no longer require taxpayers to declare their coverage status on their tax forms

IRS no longer enforcing Obamacare individual mandate, report says | Las Vegas Review-Journal
That's great!

If I make over 16k, I am mandated to purchase it on my own with my three part-time jobs for a couple hundred dollar policy a month that I don't use and can't afford.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Yes it is. What I earn from my labor should be MINE and forcing me by penalty of prison to part with the fruits of my labor so that the government can redistribute it for political capital is theft.
Not so fast tipsywicket.... someone else thinks they should get your money because they exist. AND, you should just pay it and keep your mouth shut about it <sarcasm>

People getting the Obamacare handout paid by your labor will always justify their mooching.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Back when we were a Christian nation people didn't complain about helping out the less fortunate.
Yeah, back when a gun wasn't being held to their head.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 PM

13,690 posts, read 7,976,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
How do you figure? If I walk into the hospital without insurance, they will ask for my contact information prior to treating me and I guarantee they will send a bill, even if I say I have no money to pay. I will be obligated to pay the bill once it arrives. How is this getting free healthcare?
You go to the hospital and they run some tests. You've got cancer. Send you a bill for the tests. You pay.

Then you sign up for the ACA and pay the deductible but what do you care? You know the cancer treatment will cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I spend a lot of time in a country which as socialized health care and this is what many do. They join when it becomes necessary. They can't afford the $600 or $700 monthly premiums so if possible they wait and pay a penalty for not having the coverage. A penalty can run as high as 10 grand but so what? The hospital stay will likely be ten times that.

The government understands people are doing this so they have slowly decreased what is covered under the national health insurance. This in turns pushes those with the money to buy "top off" insurance which covers medical procures not under the government plan.

Then you have the wait time. For example a hip replacement can take up to three months so you chew on pain killers as you wait.

It's a trade off. I don't have access to the excellent US medical treatment but if I need to I can go to a hospital and get an operation without going bankrupt. Of course I'll be in a room with six other patients and I might have to get in line for the treatment but I will get the operation.

It's always the middle class which is affected the most. I get the same coverage as someone poor who pays nothing but a $500- $700 monthly premium is lot a money to me. Better to pay for minor hospital costs myself and wait until I really need the national health insucrence before joining. On the other hand if you have a family and work full-time most companies pay 1/2 of the monthly health premium but you don't you have to find a way to pay the $500-$700 a month yourself.

Last edited by john3232; 02-16-2017 at 09:06 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Most of the people on O'care are mooching off the backs of other people by getting subsidies -- and that doesn't even include the Medicaid expansion.
There are many of us early retirees on the exchange not getting subsidies. Thank you.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
That's great!

If I make over 16k, I am mandated to purchase it on my own with my three part-time jobs for a couple hundred dollar policy a month that I don't use and can't afford.
Don't complete line 61 of your 1040 tax form.

While approved by the Supreme Court, the Obamacare mandate was unconstitutional because Americans cannot be compelled to buy health insurance, or to buy anything. To force people to buy something they don't want is tyranny.

President Trump did not actually terminate the requirement to buy health insurance, but he tweaked the rules so enforcement is very unlikely to occur. The previously mandatory disclosure of buying healthcare insurance will instead be voluntary.

In effect, we all become holders of undocumented health insurance policies, and the requirement to buy health insurance is no longer really a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies