Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 11:12 AM

590 posts, read 556,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Back when we were a Christian nation people didn't complain about helping out the less fortunate.
There are more efficient ways to help out the less fortunate and the church can do this much better than government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 11:16 AM

36,765 posts, read 31,025,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
How's America going to be "great" if more and more people end up broken from being untreated because they can't afford healthcare?

We will need many, many foreign workers from countries that provide them with affordable healthcare to do the jobs that Americans won't be able to do.
I hope that is sarcasm.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,164,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Free medical is when you have insurance that pays 100% of your medical expenses and you dont actually pay a premium for coverage.

The average medical bill for anyone uninsured is no where near 1 million dollars.
When I had my first child I was uninsured. I set up payments and it took about 3 years to pay it off.
A co worker had to seek medical care recently for shingles, thought it might be meningitis, she and her husband are uninsured because insurance is not offered by the employer and they cant afford the monthly premiums so they just pay the fine. She negotiated with the hospital, as they will do, lowered the bill and is paying it off in 18 months.
That 1 million dollar cancer bill is far likelier than you think.

1 of 2 males will develop cancer in their lifetime, 1 of 2 of those will die from it.

It's pretty much a coin flip whether you'll end up with a disease that'll cost seven figures and/or life.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...om-cancer.html

Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,050,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Don't you have a second, investment home?
It was not an investment, but for a year and a half, I had two homes until I could sell the first one. I bought a new house prior to selling the one I was originally living in. I lost money on the sale because of our wonderful housing recession.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,340,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The United States pays the most for healthcare around the world and we are all in very poor health.
No we aren't. Why would you do this?

Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
FYI, "less fortunate" is about as vast a generalization as there can be.
It wasn't my descriptive that I was commenting on. I preferred to not use the word "stupid".

Old 02-16-2017, 11:37 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,366,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"The Internal Revenue Service will no longer require tax filers to indicate whether they had health coverage or pay a penalty set under Obamacare."

That was one of my main objections, great news.
Why is that good news, if they cannot require young healthy people to pay into the ACA how do you expect any health plan including the ACA to survive. Do you have a health plan that only accepts old and sick people.

By the way maybe you didn't think of this but that money that came from people paying in or fines will have to come from somewhere else, the ACA isn't going away. Taxpayers will now be covering their portion of the tab, good news??

Old 02-16-2017, 11:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,671,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No we aren't. Why would you do this?
Actually, we do. We pay higher prices for the same drugs compared to other countries, and higher prices for procedures. Here's a fact for you, the cost of a CAT scan in the US in $3,000. Same test in Japan costs $300.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
ACA is insurance legislation, what, who and how paid.

It is not healthcare. It was not intended to be healthcare.

Thus far, the alternatives for replacement being bandied about are no different. The focus is on insurance, specifically premiums, not healthcare or personal responsibility.
I commented on the problem of the government not negotiating with providers which is what you were talking about. Why not be honest? Dishonesty is why we can not get something accomplished.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
There are more efficient ways to help out the less fortunate and the church can do this much better than government.
No they can't. Again, the question above. Why the dishonesty? If the church could do it they would be doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies