Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,664,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
here in Dallas we had an African American city councilman go on a "you are a racist" rant because a fellow (white) city councilman called a portion of the city budget a "black hole"
At face value that seems absurd. However, there is not context. What is the history between the two? Here is my point. Just assume for a minute that the person accused was indeed a racist. Even if the logic or reasoning of making the claim based solely on the term "black hole" is nonsensical, the claim is still valid. You have to keep in mind HISTORY. The person may have had a history of using word play. It's obvious to me that you cannot be a racist on the city council and keep your job in a city like Dallas...while saying overtly racist things. So what I am saying is that we on the outside looking in do not have the complete picture. Here is my thing. If another white person on the same council used the same term....would they get labeled as a racist? Again, we don't KNOW, being on the outside looking in....and we cannot ever know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 11:46 AM

52,449 posts, read 34,154,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes, we're reminded of it all the time.

"I ordered my burger with mustard and got ketchup. It was a white person, and I know he did it because I am black. This type of racism happens all the time."

Thank goodness I'm not black and my order is correct 100% of the time.
now that's white privilege.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Did you pay attention during the elections?

Still to this very day there are a TON of folks who claim that Trump supporters are racists by the very fact that they supported trump over HRC. Oh, and they were sexist also.

I could literally pull hundreds of posts here on CD where someone who is not in agreement with the standard lefty talking points is called racist, sexist, homophobe, hater, Islamophope, etc etc

I didn't make anyone resort to the fake cries of whateverism that fits their narrative. I'm just calling BS when i see it, and I see a LOT of it.
I think the general view in the black community is that political conservatism and republicans relate strongly with racism.....and I tend to share that view, but I also know there is liberal racism as well. So I think support for Trump, running as a Republican, will, by default, get his supporters labeled as racist.

Here is my reasoning on republicans. When I listen to republican doctrine or talking points....they seem to suggest that people are poor mainly because of personal flaws like personal irresponsibility, making bad choices, addictions and the like. However, they cannot reconcile then, why black poverty is nearly 3 times that of whites. They dismiss any and all external explanations, like racism (past and present aftermath). Thus, if there is no external cause for black poverty being nearly triple the rates of whites, then that suggest to me that the must see black people are more irresponsible, poorer choice makers, ect, than the typical white, lest the rate of poverty would be equal.

Its the rights dismissal of the legitimacy of things like the historical impact of racism, past and present, on the black current condition, that gets the right seen as racist. It does not take a rocket science to figure out that if you eliminate the external as a cause.....you are saying that it is all internal.

To be a republican is not to be a racist but many racist are republicans.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-16-2017 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 11:53 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,506,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
now that's white privilege.
Hell yes!!!

It also never rains when I go to the beach, camping or on a picnic, because I'm not black. Mother Nature is a known racist.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:01 PM

What inspired me to create this post was a post made in the state forums in a particular city. A person living in another city asked about a particular suburban area. They wanted to know specifically if an area had a lot of blacks or not, because they did not want to have break ins and crime. This was in the Detroit forum. People then commented, before the post got deleted, how such attitudes are not welcome in the Detroit area and that people do not think that way around there and that the person should go elsewhere.

How can people think that people in one of the most segregated areas in the country.....don't think like that? People were saying that the attitude is not accepted in the area.....but if that were true it would not be one of the most segregates metropolitan areas in the country. Apparently a lot of people think that way which is why the races live so residential separated.

It seems to me that the disconnect is that people are speaking one way and behaving another way. People must censor their racism if people think that other people don't think like that poster. There is no way that an area can remain so segregated if people did not think that way. The moderator eventually censored that person post, along with all the comments that followed. The impact being that we do not get to see demonstrations of overt racist beliefs often because of censor and self censor. People are not speaking their minds because they do not want to be censored.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-16-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
OP why do you only focus on black people being impacted by racism? I counted 10 times you used the term "blacks" or black people" when trying to make your point yet the title of your thread did not mention bigotry against black people which is obviously your focus.

Which is why when I started reading your thread, I was sure you were speaking about bigotry and racism against all groups at one time or another ..... but sadly your position seems to be that "only" blacks face true discrimination. What about white people? Do they not endure bigotry and discrimination? Racial quotas , gender quotas to fill jobs? What about LAtinos and asian people? Your post seems to be one sided.
First, I am black. I can only speak for myself, as a black person knowing and being keenly aware of black history and the black experience. Secondly, I cannot assume what is true of the black experience is true of other groups experiences. It I start making assumptions about other groups, based upon the black experience, and the assumption is not true for the other group, I discredit the black claim in the mind of the other group....because if it is not as true for them, then me claiming that it is true for "minorities", when its not, discredits the claims for blacks. Finally, while black poverty remains nearly 3 times that of whites, while black unemployment remains over twice that of whites, while black wealth remains 15 times less than whites, talk of whites being the victims of racism does not belong in the same conversation with blacks.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:44 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,635,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Is it possible that you may give more weight to those absurd examples than to more legitimate examples? How can you be sure that you are not guilty of "selection bias"? For example, do you dismiss studies that show racism is prevalent?

Here is my point. If you WANT to discredit or dismiss something, you will tend to look for evidence that will create that effect. For example, if a person does not like hearing something, regardless of how true it is or not, there low tolerance will create an abnormal sensitivity. In other words, a person can hear an argument about left right politics 100 times, but not be tired of hearing about it, but hear an argument about white black racism 10 times and be tired of hearing about it. Its not that a person is actually tired of hearing something.....its just that they do not want to hear it.
No...it's not about wanting to hear it. It's about using a word and making it have a factual meaning, not based on "emotion". This has been a constant major problem with the regressive left. You can't go around calling everything racist that you disagree with either. (BTW, my "Tom Brady is racist" example actually was a direct quote from people on message forums...)

Example: If you are white and dislike black people because they're black, that is racism.

Example: If you are white and dislike rap music and Black History Month, that isn't racism, but simply an opinion.

It's that simple. I don't know why this is a hard concept to grasp. But you can't just call things "racist" because you don't like their POV. That's doesn't make sense and sensationalizes something simple.

An example of this is calling Trump a racist for him simply implementing a travel ban of 7 countries. It is factually incorrect to say that Trump is racist because of the ban because A) It Is NOT a MUSLIM ban. B) Islam isn't even a race. So to say that Trump is racist against Muslims doesn't make any sense. If he said "I hate middle eastern people cause their skin looks like sand and they stink", then yes, that's a racist comment. However, he hasn't...

When you twist a word to give it a meaning that paints a picture, that doesn't mean it's a factual statement.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
No...it's not about wanting to hear it. It's about using a word and making it have a factual meaning, not based on "emotion". This has been a constant major problem with the regressive left. You can't go around calling everything racist that you disagree with either. (BTW, my "Tom Brady is racist" example actually was a direct quote from people on message forums...)

Example: If you are white and dislike black people because they're black, that is racism.

Example: If you are white and dislike rap music and Black History Month, that isn't racism, but simply an opinion.

It's that simple. I don't know why this is a hard concept to grasp. But you can't just call things "racist" because you don't like their POV. That's doesn't make sense and sensationalizes something simple.

An example of this is calling Trump a racist for him simply implementing a travel ban of 7 countries. It is factually incorrect to say that Trump is racist because of the ban because A) It Is NOT a MUSLIM ban. B) Islam isn't even a race. So to say that Trump is racist against Muslims doesn't make any sense. If he said "I hate middle eastern people cause their skin looks like sand and they stink", then yes, that's a racist comment. However, he hasn't...

When you twist a word to give it a meaning that paints a picture, that doesn't mean it's a factual statement.
I think you just demonstrated the problem. When defining racism. YOU did not go cut and past from a dictionary source, rather, you posted examples of what YOU see as racism. Here is racism defined at dictionary.com.

racism

[rey-siz-uh m]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Hence, the political right always arguing that blacks are personally more irresponsible and bad choice makers, and not working as hard, as the the root cause for black socioeconomic inequality with whites, that to me comports to the first usage in the OFFICIAL definition. Anytime you argue that blacks are more something, than whites, whether it be irresponsible, bad choice makers....or their ability to jump.....if you think race plays a role in the performance THEN YOU ARE RACIST.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:10 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,635,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think you just demonstrated the problem. When defining racism. YOU did not go cut and past from a dictionary source, rather, you posted examples of what YOU see as racism. Here is racism defined at dictionary.com.

racism

[rey-siz-uh m]

noun

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

Hence, the political right always arguing that blacks are personally more irresponsible and bad choice makers, and not working as hard, as the the root cause for black socioeconomic inequality with whites, that to me comports to the first usage in the OFFICIAL definition. Anytime you argue that blacks are more something, than whites, whether it be irresponsible, bad choice makers....or their ability to jump.....if you think race plays a role in the performance THEN YOU ARE RACIST.
I don't even understand how you are getting that from my post.

My examples that I provided showed clear evidence of the dictionary definition of racism:

racism

[rey-siz-uh m]

noun

This ISN'T racism. It's an opinion. You can't dislike something else, but it doesn't have to imply that because you don't like rap or black history month, that your race is "superior" to the other race.

Secondly, your last paragraph in your post...that's an ASSUMPTION, And I never even made that point. But to say it's racist is strange because there are black republicans out there. There are also white republicans who don't hold those believes and think that blacks are as equal as whites. You can say the same thing about Democrats actually, that blacks don't have the ability to look for jobs and are on welfare, that blacks are living in the ghetto and need help, that blacks can't get an ID so that's why there's the whole voter suppression thingy. So your last point is a strange argument to make, in my opinion.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:10 PM

5,298 posts, read 2,339,735 times
Video just posted today...Perfect for this discussion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKZcV0eoUI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies