Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 02:24 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Read: Is Violent Crime Increasing?

It details how in a lot of cases....wait for it..........the Media twists the facts..........

Depending on how statistics are used,for which group and where geographically.......it is True that crime IS higher than ever before..........
You are twisting what Trump said - he specifically said "the violent crime is the highest it's been in 45/47 years". It is not.

The uptick in crime is perhaps the right statistic that he "meant" (although he has misspoke on this on MANY occasions, through his campaign and into his presidency)...but it is NOT what he said.

The reason this distinction is important is because one makes completely different policy decisions when presented with those two facts.

1) "Violent crime is the highest it's been in 45 years" - HOLY CRAP! Time to go into lock down mode - militaristic style policing methods might need to be considered, perhaps.

2) "The violent crime increase is the highest it's been in 45 years" - OK - that is concerning. We should keep an eye on this. Perhaps we should look at our policing practices and maybe we should understand why it's going up. But context is important here - we are still WAY below where we were 45 years ago, and we're even well below where we were even a few years ago.

Additionally, "percentage increases" can be inflated when you're at the lower end of the scale (i.e. a change from 1 to 2 is a 100% increase!...whereas a change from 10 to 15 is a 50% increase...which one of those should be more worried about?)...

So one should be really careful to use that metric as the be-all-end-all data point to set policing policy.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:26 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,431,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yeah, lie after lie.
But you don't say what the lies are.

Quote:
He knows he's lying.
About what?

Quote:
I'll be glad to list his lies but I'd need to get a transcript first. Too many to keep up with.
In other words, you have nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Rump is openly lying on TV again.
About what?

Quote:
Trump , is flailing widely and arguing about how he won....
He did win.

Maybe someday you anti-Trumps will accept that painful (for you) fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You post is a lie. Being mistaken on the facts is not telling lies or in the context of disinformation. I don't think when when Nancy Pelosi said she could not work with Bush that she was lying anymore than Maxine waters taking about the Russian in Korea. they were just mistaken. You on the other hand are lying.
Exactly.

It was hilarious when Nancita Botox said that Trump was really Bush, and Maxine Fright Mask said that Crimea was Korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What lies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Because we know how honest the birther-in-chief is...right? Is that really what you are inferring?
He's honest.

We still haven't seen a real birth certificate from the Kenyan Muslim communist gay guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
80% of the 9th circuit is overturned
-- True
Quote:
His approval is through the roof
True -- he won.
Quote:
More people voted than ever
-- True
Quote:
Only 109 people were effected by the travel ban
-- True
Quote:
He could be ... dr, lawyer, judge, reporter, etc. RIGHT NOW and he'd be the best
-- True
Quote:
Said regulations cost 2 trillion in loss
-- True. $2.8 trillion has been added to the nation's wealth since he got elected, and he's just starting to roll back regulations.
Quote:
Said the pipeline will give thousands of jobs
-- True
Quote:
Clinton gave 20% of uranium to Russia
-- True
Quote:
"I'm not ranting and raving"
-- True
Quote:
Sexual harassment claims are proven false
-- True. No criminal charges filed or pending.

Quote:
I have a lot more but I have to rest my fingers.
You don't have anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
In the 12 years of FactCheck.org’s existence, we’ve never seen his match.

He stands out not only for the sheer number of his factually false claims, but also for his brazen refusals to admit error when proven wrong.

Donald Trump Dominates List Of 2015's Biggest Lies | The Huffington Post
Factcheck.org and the Huffington Post are fake news sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Only 47 months to go!
Nope -- 95 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Because undocumented Polish immigrants were caught committing voter fraud in Idaho in favor of Trump.
Not true.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:31 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Googling is really not that difficult:

Donald Trump's file | PolitiFact

People Donald Trump

Google this....................

Political Fact-Checking Under Fire : NPR

Old 02-16-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Read:

Old 02-16-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Google this....................

OK - then go through each of those and point out how their analysis was wrong. If you want to call it "fake" or whatever - the onus is on you to prove how.

Just pick a couple of examples and show us all why their analysis is so flawed.

I'll also happily see other fact checkers that you claim are more reputable.

I also don't claim that these aren't "bias-free" - but they're just meant as general snapshots of what was said. And Trump fares VERY poorly compared to basically anyone else from any other party or position in government. His record is frankly disturbingly bad.

But I'm open minded - prove them wrong.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Yep narrow down the message and quickly find out who leaking secret material.

No. Try reporting the truth.........or as close as you can find it out.........

Old 02-16-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
You are twisting what Trump said - he specifically said "the violent crime is the highest it's been in 45/47 years". It is not.

The uptick in crime is perhaps the right statistic that he "meant" (although he has misspoke on this on MANY occasions, through his campaign and into his presidency)...but it is NOT what he said.

The reason this distinction is important is because one makes completely different policy decisions when presented with those two facts.

1) "Violent crime is the highest it's been in 45 years" - HOLY CRAP! Time to go into lock down mode - militaristic style policing methods might need to be considered, perhaps.

2) "The violent crime increase is the highest it's been in 45 years" - OK - that is concerning. We should keep an eye on this. Perhaps we should look at our policing practices and maybe we should understand why it's going up. But context is important here - we are still WAY below where we were 45 years ago, and we're even well below where we were even a few years ago.

Additionally, "percentage increases" can be inflated when you're at the lower end of the scale (i.e. a change from 1 to 2 is a 100% increase!...whereas a change from 10 to 15 is a 50% increase...which one of those should be more worried about?)...

So one should be really careful to use that metric as the be-all-end-all data point to set policing policy.

Did you read my link? Its quite comical in this context that they were criticizing the Media for doing that "selective" thing with the figures.........

Old 02-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Did you read my link? Its quite comical in this context that they were criticizing the Media for doing that "selective" thing with the figures.........
I read it (I happened to have actually read it a few years ago when it was originally on NPR) - and they're referring to how bias can influence the calls of what they're reporting on. And I don't think they're wrong.

That said, one can specifically look at each claim and assess it for accuracy - go ahead and try it. Show how biased and wrong they are! Let's see you challenge them.

And I'll happily see any other fact check sources that you may have that contradict other ones that you dispute. Like I said, I'm open minded.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:51 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Can Trump really be called a liar if he honestly believes them and doesn't realize he is lying?
If that were the case, then we could call him stupid.....Too stupid to be president.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:58 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Yeah Trump is doing what he promised when he ran. Deal with the border and illegal immigration. That's why I voted for him and he has a 55 - 45 approval rating. Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™
Rasmussen is not an independent poll...It leans heavily to the right...

The latest Pew Research Center poll released Thursday shows Trump at a historic low compared with prior presidents in their first weeks in office.
The poll found just 39 percent approve of his job performance while 56 percent disapprove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.