Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Americans, do you support an interventionist foreign policy?
Yes, as a great nation we should keep promoting democracy and human rights in the world, even with force. 2 8.00%
Yes, but we should apply the same standard to all nations , including our "allies", to have moral legitimacy. 1 4.00%
Yes, we should continue it because despite the cost it serves US national interest and is well worth it. 2 8.00%
No, because it is a waste of money and we should spend money on important things such as infrastructure and healthcare. 13 52.00%
No, because we have shameful double standard in such policies and should stop meddling. 5 20.00%
No, because we caused more loss and suffering than we are able to help. 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

We are living in a very peaceful era,

I don't think its necessary to maintain such a large military and take aggressive actions far outside our border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I would vote NO, without any cutesy "reasons".
All the interventions we have tried since WWII have pretty much been failures, nothing but drains of money and lives.
It has been proven time and again, many of the people we have tried to help do not want and can not cope with either a republican form of government or a democracy, and we do not want to embrace the way they live.
So, we should leave them alone, to work out their problems as best they can.
I wouldn't say they have all been failures. Our actions in Western Europe, from the Marshall Plan to the Berlin airlift to stationing troops in Germany, probably prevented the takeover of Europe by the Soviets. Our involvement in the Korean War prevented the takeover of South Korea by communists. The first Gulf War showed that we were prepared to use force to maintain the flow of oil. These are all successes, but you might argue whether the benefits were worth the costs.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:16 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
I voted D so no, but there have been a few interventions I agree with, but I am against the majority. The world isn't black and white and unlike 500 years ago, what happens in a different country can have an impact in our lives. I am for strong defense pacts like NATO or having defense pacts with likeminded countries such as Canada, Mexico, S Korea, Australia, New Zealand. But I believe our military overseas should be reduced.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:54 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I wouldn't say they have all been failures. Our actions in Western Europe, from the Marshall Plan to the Berlin airlift to stationing troops in Germany, probably prevented the takeover of Europe by the Soviets. Our involvement in the Korean War prevented the takeover of South Korea by communists. The first Gulf War showed that we were prepared to use force to maintain the flow of oil. These are all successes, but you might argue whether the benefits were worth the costs.
Well, maybe, but the actions taken in Europe immediately following WWII could very easily be lumped in with WWII. the "Cold War" dragged on for years...
Korea must be considered a failure, due to the fact that officially the war isn't over. No peace has ever been signed, just a cease fire.
Vietnam was a fiasco.
The wars in the Middle East are still under way, despite the promises of a person who shall remain nameless that they would be stopped and the troops brought home. We are still waiting for the end of those wars, and the end to our losses of life. Yes, and the money that it is costing us that we just don't have!
WE do not NEED that oil!

Old 02-18-2017, 12:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think it depends.

There is not a simple answer.

Complete 100% isolationism does not work either. Why go from one extreme to the other? On encountering problems, the pendulum could swing back again - and has before.

A more realistic strategy might be to encourage stability and a balance of power.
Not meddling doesn't have to mean isolation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies