Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times

Advertisements

It would be nice if more communities had co-ops where members donate time to get fresh produce. I haven't lived in NH for many years, but I remember there were cities with food co-ops that offered high quality produce for reasonable prices. They weren't government run and were controlled by voluntary membership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just don't think we can legislate 'health'. Why do people get addicted to opiates? Why are bacon burgers so popular? Why do we love ice cream.

Of course there will always be some that choose the healthy lifestyle; but many will not stick to it - that is why we invented the word temptation! We can never forget why they call us humans.
I agree, but local communities should promote healthful living. I mean, you will never stop teenagers from having sex, but you can teach them about safe sex.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As I was watching the news a couple of days ago, they showed footage of the dam in California and the evacuation. And it was impossible not to notice the large number of obese people. Made me wonder, why is there no war on sugar? We have wars on drugs and terrorism, but compared to the costs obesity and resulting conditions cause for the healthcare system, drugs and terrorism are peanuts.

Why are there no clear warnings, like for instance, Don't drink cola! Nobody seems to have a problem with Don't smoke! or Don't take drugs! Are politicians and agencies paid by Coke, Pepsi etc.?

I have seen several documentaries on sugar over the years, the amounts of it people in the West consume are crazy.

Shouldn't public health be far more important than any business profits?
Take a good look at the supermarkets today. Most of the aisles are junk. The outer perimeter of the store usually has the healthier food , but the aisles are full of processed food and junk.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:02 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Take a good look at the supermarkets today. Most of the aisles are junk. The outer perimeter of the store usually has the healthier food , but the aisles are full of processed food and junk.
Just look at checkout! Especially when the kids are grabbing everything close!

Old 02-18-2017, 01:13 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
This should be a personal issue and possibly states right issue, if they want to address it. Frankly I don't feel the need to either legislate anything nor do I feel compelled to pay for obesity related illnesses.

I made the decision to not eat certain things, engage in certain vices. It's a matter of choice. The obesity epidemic is one that deserves no federal oversight. If people want to shove junk down their gullet- have at it. Not my problem.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:19 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
What kind of sugar?

sucrose - a compound that is the chief component of cane or beet sugar

fructose - a hexose sugar found especially in honey and fruit.

hexose - any of the class of simple sugars whose molecules contain six carbon atoms, such as glucose and fructose. They generally have the chemical formula C6H12O6.

lactose - a sugar present in milk. It is a disaccharide containing glucose and galactose units.

galactose - a sugar of the hexose class that is a constituent of lactose and many polysaccharides

carbohydrates - Carbohydrates are the sugars, starches and fibers found in fruits, grains, vegetables and milk products. Though often maligned in trendy diets, carbohydrates — one of the basic food groups — are important to a healthy life.
What Are Carbohydrates?

How about reducing intake (calories) and increasing movement? lol

Old 02-18-2017, 01:25 PM

Exactly, lol.

I average about 60g of sugar (from all sources) P/day. My offset is that I exercise everyday.
Net calories p/day 1800, but currently 1500 to drop off the 5 lbs of holiday / winter excess.

I'm almost 50 and I hike at least 4-5 miles a day and do daily calisthenics.

It's all choice. No one is going to take care of you except yourself. That's what parents should teach their kids. Duh. Parents- lead by example...

Barring any real medical issues, if someone wants to be an inactive, junk eating human being that's their choice. Chances are your children will follow suit.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:31 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
If sugar so bad, why not just make it illegal like cocaine

In fact, when cola drinks were introduced, they contained some cocaine, for the purpose of addicting people to them. That's how the drink got its name. Finally, this was causing so much of a problem with society, that the use of cocaine in them was outlawed. So the manufacturers turned to caffeine, which is also additive. Now, caffeine is added to many other soft drinks besides cola. If the caffeine was removed, the amount of sugar consumption would be reduced, as those who need caffeine to function, would get it from another source, such as coffee or tea.

Of course, there are many varieties of coffee drinks that also have a lot of sugar added to them. We are, as a society, addicted to these harmful things. Until people give up these habits, they will continue to be less healthy and in many cases, carry extra fat. There's many other bad eating and drinking habits that contribute to being overweight, but if the sweetened drinks were eliminated, that would make a big difference.

How many people will say, that they just can't get going in the morning, without some coffee? Why do they seem to think that this is unavoidable? It's as though it was a social requirement to drink coffee or at least tea, which has just as much caffeine. Chocolate also contains caffeine and so many people seem addicted to it. An individual can make a choice to be rid of all these things, but there's big money to be made by keeping people hooked on them. Starting when I was in my early twenties, I've made a habit of eating less and less harmful things and more and more simple, natural things, that are healthy. It's a type of good habit that can hold you in its clutches, just as tightly as the bad ones.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:32 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
except they don't use corn to make sugar
Of course they do. That's why high fructose corn syrup is called high fructose corn syrup. It's, amazingly, made out of corn. Mind blowing.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:41 PM

Look at any map, the CDC has some good ones, of the cluster of obesity and related illnesses (diabetes), by county in the US.

Again- I could CARE LESS about any war on sugar. Let them figure it out.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just don't think we can legislate 'health'. Why do people get addicted to opiates? Why are bacon burgers so popular? Why do we love ice cream.

Of course there will always be some that choose the healthy lifestyle; but many will not stick to it - that is why we invented the word temptation! We can never forget why they call us humans.
How would making produce cheaper be legislating health. I am anti policing purchases for food stamps, but reducing barriers for people. One of the barriers for poorer people to get produce is the cost. And we have a lot of food waste. This kills two birds with one stone without forcing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies