Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, for goodness sake, you can't possibly be that naive. Processed sugar -- whether from cane, beets, or corn -- is packed into all sorts of prepared foods, you know, the kind of food that makes up the bulk of America's intake, because we no longer cook much at home. Added sugars are in your coffee creamer, in your salad dressings, in the tomato sauce on your pizza, in your sandwich spread, in your yogurt, in your chicken soup, and in your granola bars. You consume it unconsciously all day long. There is no moderation with sugar anymore if your diet, like most people's, includes even a small number of prepared foods. You're likely way over your recommended daily allowance before you've finished lunch much less had a post-dinner cookie. Reducing the added sugar in prepared foods would go a long way toward improving public health.
when I returned to the USA after being away for almost 20 years I could not believe that there was sugar in bread. It was hard to eat and we would have to expend time and money finding breads that were not loaded with sugar. to be fair there are more now...

Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, many people did not like her, nor is she a qualified nutritionist or anything. So people thought it was merely her personal opinion that she tried to force on them.
Just like you in your opening post?

Old 02-17-2017, 12:38 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
when I returned to the USA after being away for almost 20 years I could not believe that there was sugar in bread. It was hard to eat and we would have to expend time and money finding breads that were not loaded with sugar. to be fair there are more now...
Sugar speeds up the action of the yeast, which commercial bakeries value, but your point is well taken. I make bread both with and without sugar, depending on how it will be used. If I make a sandwich loaf, it's going to be honey whole wheat, but at least I know what I'm getting.

Other foods that can have an outrageous amount of sugar? Bacon and deli meat. OMG, so much sugar!

Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,357,906 times
I suppose states could tax sugar like they do gas and tobacco. It might be approached from a grass roots effort. I know states love any extra income they can get.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I suppose states could tax sugar like they do gas and tobacco. It might be approached from a grass roots effort. I know states love any extra income they can get.
I wouldn't mind seeing that happen - but I think the agriculture lobbies are too powerful to let that happen.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:48 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
except they don't use corn to make sugar
most of the worlds sugar comes from corn suger beet and cane.... these days you can breed sugar into lots of crops. In fact tomatoes have been breed to contain so much sugar that ketchup makers have claim no added sugar because it is all in the tomatoes ....

Old 02-17-2017, 04:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you reject that things like sodas are major contributors to things like obesity and diabetes?

Interesting.
All I am rejecting is more poor bashing.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,987 times
We do have a "war on sugar." Society has been promoting health for a few years now. I've seen more about obesity, obesity in children, eating healthy in the last 2-3 years than ever. Restaurant menus now have calories listed in their meals, even fast food restaurants.

We can hear about healthy living 24/7, but as long as junk food, fast food, restaurant food is available, we'll eat it. It tastes way better than healthy food.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:03 PM

381 posts, read 177,135 times
Like a poster already mentioned, sugar is in so many foods--ketchup, dressing, etc. Even smoothies that seem healthy are packed with sugar like the Naked drinks, yogurt, orange juice. I started experimenting with flavored yogurt recently and my eyes almost popped out at the grams of sugar in each cup I started flavoring the plain yogurt I make at home with homemade granola and fruits.

BTW, I sympathize with obese people and others who struggle with weight. A lot of it is emotional eating and a reflection of what's going on inside, and I've been there before. I've read that people often pack on the pounds after starting antidepressants as well. My biggest weakness was soda but now I only consume it once every two months or so. Liquid calories easily add up, and with the way many people I see consume soda daily, the effect on their weight is obvious.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:15 PM

375 posts, read 296,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As I was watching the news a couple of days ago, they showed footage of the dam in California and the evacuation. And it was impossible not to notice the large number of obese people. Made me wonder, why is there no war on sugar? We have wars on drugs and terrorism, but compared to the costs obesity and resulting conditions cause for the healthcare system, drugs and terrorism are peanuts.

Why are there no clear warnings, like for instance, Don't drink cola! Nobody seems to have a problem with Don't smoke! or Don't take drugs! Are politicians and agencies paid by Coke, Pepsi etc.?

I have seen several documentaries on sugar over the years, the amounts of it people in the West consume are crazy.

Shouldn't public health be far more important than any business profits?
Sugar isn't the main culprit in the obesity problem. Which, btw, is lessening, albeit slowly.

It's high fructose corn syrup. Much worse than sugar and that's what's in your soft drinks nowadays.

That and just too much crappy fast food, especially the fried stuff.

Your body needs sugar. Runs on it. You need at least 50 grams a day. Most adults don't have sugar problems. But some kids do. Even with them, it's HFCS that is the bane.

We don't need a war on sugar. We need a war on Nanny State mentality that would propose such a thing.

Education on dirt and nutrition and exercise bests a war every time!

Hope this helps a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies