Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:21 PM

375 posts, read 294,719 times

Advertisements

The problem is not sugar, people!

It's HFCS.

Much worse than sugar.

Body cannot process if nearly as efficiently as sugar. Which we evolved with.

Most of you have confused the two in you comments about the ingredients in things like sift drinks.

It's HFCS almost always. Some of the brand's will roll out real sugar once in a great while. But it's more expensive than HFCS.

Your body needs sugar to run. So does your brain. Most adults do not get too much sugar.

Some kids, yes. But even then the real prob is HFCS and crappy fast food. And a sedentary lifestyle.

Leave sugar alone. It's natural, and needed.

I invite you to research this yourself.

I'm seeing a crapp load of misinformation on this thread.

Hope this helps.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/hig...corn-syrup.htm

Old 02-17-2017, 05:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,415,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm not sure what this has to do with the fact that the government should place restrictions on food stamps.

They do have restrictions. They are for food for home consumption. They cannot be used for "alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, hot food and any food sold for on-premises consumption."

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items

Old 02-17-2017, 06:00 PM

381 posts, read 176,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
They do have restrictions. They are for food for home consumption. They cannot be used for "alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, hot food and any food sold for on-premises consumption."

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items

True. I was a grocery store cashier during my undergrad years, and people who used food stamps had no problem spending $60 or so on alcohol, cigarettes, etc.

I like how WIC has approved food lists that include cereal, milk etc. Only those foods on the list are eligible to be purchased by a WIC card.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,453,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Everything in moderation, sweetheart.
Not in school cafeterias. All Michelle Obama succeeded in doing is getting a lot of food thrown away. The kids used to eat their lunches. Now they send a friend to Micky D's.

When you control something too tightly that only makes kids want it more.

She did kill the science club budget at my school. Our big fund raiser was selling donuts and bagels on final exam days. We couldn't do it with her restrictions. Apparently she can have spare ribs once in a while but kids can't have donuts twice a year (Okay four days in a row twice a year. ). We looked at what we could sell and decided the kids wouldn't buy anything so now kids BRING donuts, coffee cakes and lattes and share them with their friends on final exam days. Our second biggest fund raiser was returning the pop cans from the vending machine area when we did recycling. There's no pop in the vending machine and water bottles and gatorade bottles don't have a deposit. Now we don't make enough doing recycling to pay for the garbage bags we use. (FTR I do agree with taking pop out of the machines. I just wish they'd put a deposit on water bottles.)

It amazes me that she thought she could accomplish anything by restricting the food available in schools. Seriously, kids eat one meal at school and are in school about 50% of days. At best she controlled one out of six meals for some kids. Others just bring what they like from home or go to Mickey D's. We even have parents dropping off fast food for their kids.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 02-17-2017 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 07:51 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,192,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not in school cafeterias. All Michelle Obama succeeded in doing is getting a lot of food thrown away. The kids used to eat their lunches. Now they send a friend to Micky D's.

When you control something too tightly that only makes kids want it more.

That's funny.
Our kid's school cafeteria (catered by a specialty company) doesn't have to serve tots, fries, and kid crap to keep the kids full.
They get a salad every meal as well as a protein and a veg. They get fruit for their snack (although occasionally, they also get crackers and cheese).
If there's pizza, it's bc it's a special day.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:52 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,192,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
The problem is not sugar, people!

It's HFCS.

Much worse than sugar.

Body cannot process if nearly as efficiently as sugar. Which we evolved with.

Most of you have confused the two in you comments about the ingredients in things like sift drinks.

It's HFCS almost always. Some of the brand's will roll out real sugar once in a great while. But it's more expensive than HFCS.

Your body needs sugar to run. So does your brain. Most adults do not get too much sugar.

Some kids, yes. But even then the real prob is HFCS and crappy fast food. And a sedentary lifestyle.

Leave sugar alone. It's natural, and needed.

I invite you to research this yourself.

I'm seeing a crapp load of misinformation on this thread.

Hope this helps.

How bad for you is high-fructose corn syrup? | HowStuffWorks

Nobody needs added sugar.
The sugar present in whole foods is plenty.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,873,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I guess you were asleep the entire time Michele Obama was prompting healthy eating, eating clean?
You beat me to it. The Republicans frequently attacked her for promoting good eating habits and regular exercise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nobody needs added sugar.
The sugar present in whole foods is plenty.
It's a big business. I lived in FL and saw how Big Sugar polluted the water for decades. They have a lot of control over the Florida Legislature and Congress.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:06 PM

687 posts, read 614,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilAries View Post
True. I was a grocery store cashier during my undergrad years, and people who used food stamps had no problem spending $60 or so on alcohol, cigarettes, etc.

I like how WIC has approved food lists that include cereal, milk etc. Only those foods on the list are eligible to be purchased by a WIC card.
Being poor doesn't exclude a person from having bad habits, or wanting to live as normally as possible, just like everyone else. No random stranger is entitled to dictate what is best for someone else just because they know that person signed up for an assistance program.

The WIC program only serves to shame poor mothers, from what I have seen. I saw a woman wait 15 minutes at a cash register while the cashier combed through the ingredient list on a jar of peanut butter to see if it had any of the "bad" additives. Then some jerk lady behind me talked about how women buy candy bars on food stamps and that made them terrible mothers. As if food stamps had any bearing on whether or not giving a candy bar to a child is bad parenting.

I wish people showed more respect for others.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,873,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
I wish people showed more respect for others.
I saw something similar in Publix when I was in Florida. I don't know why, but a box of cereal wasn't approved for whatever food assistance program the young mother was using, and the cashier said something like "maybe you should be feeding your children something a little healthier." She said it right in front of the young girl, who was about 6 or 7. The woman looked mortified since everyone within hearing range knew she didn't have enough money as she searched through her wallet. I think I embarrassed the woman even more by asking if I could pay for it. (she didn't accept)

I realize there are a lot of people who take advantage of government programs, but most people need the extra help.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:19 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,858,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
except they don't use corn to make sugar
A lot of "sugar" eaten by Americans is corn syrup, not sugar from sugar cane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies