Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:22 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Blacks used to do quite a bit of construction on new homes. I'll bet I've not seen but a few Black plumber, electrician, carpenters, roofers, ect on job sites the last 10 years. Those jobs are predominately Hispanic. Maybe Blacks don't want this type of work any longer.
That's actually precisely the work I have not seen blacks doing.

And I did that work myself as a young man, hardly ever saw any other blacks involved Further, I've been a heavy DIY since then, and I've almost always been the only black guy in the lumberyard on any given day.

In those early years--I'm going back to the 60s--black men were kept out largely because of bigoted trade unions and contractor hiring policies. The trades as professions largely did not catch on with young black men as I think it should have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Lol. Second time today this topic has been posted today. Moist.

Source...?
Less educated blue collar workers are more impacted by illegal labor because they compete for the same jobs. Given historic racism in the US and access to education, poverty etc. that obviously means blacks are more impacted than other demographics.

100% agree with your comment in another post that lawyer, surgeon etc. are not impacted by this which is a big blind spot for a lot of people that are "better off". Heck, I fall in that category and they don't compete for my job but I get my steak a little cheaper, my lawn mowed cheaper, my house painted cheaper, fruit etc. etc. etc.

I utterly benefit from cheap illegal labor.

I think it's a sad state of affairs in this country that we now have 2 parties that do not look out for the blue collar workers. Not only that, their plight is written off as them being stupid and racist.

Pretty elitist if you ask me.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Black Americans are much better off voting democrat.
Where was Obama when black neighborhoods were being terrorized by black on black crime? Part of Chicago area worst than the killing in Iran. Why doesn't Obama instead of playing golf, go visit black neighborhoods more instead of hanging out with JayZ and Beyonce.

I believe Obama is more interested in being a celebrity than a politician. Same for most Democrats, they rather be the do nothing party that give the establishment what the want than working for middle class families. Look at the elections all over the country, what's trend?

Old 02-17-2017, 03:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Black Americans are much better off voting democrat.

You speak of illegals taking jobs, but the single act of republicans voting against ending tax breaks for corporations that outsource jobs took more jobs away from black Americans than illegals do. The fact is Americans want high paying regular jobs and most Americans refuse to do jobs like farm work that the illegals do.

Senate Republicans Vote Against American Jobs By Blocking Bill To End Outsourcing Tax Breaks
Pennsylvania farmers say local Americans just don't want farm work | PennLive.com

And most black people vote democrat because republicans do nothing for black Americans that live in poverty, are low income workers, or middle class Americans.

Republicans oppose welfare, oppose raising the min wage, oppose middle class tax cuts, oppose small business tax cuts and bank lending programs, oppose lowering credit card interest rates, oppose lowering student loan interest rates, oppose unemployment benefits, and even oppose free school lunches for low income school children. And each of those actions that republicans oppose helps black people in America.

GOP Senators Reject Tax Cuts for Middle Class - CBS News
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.c5a8536e9275
Republicans Block Small Business Lending Bill - CBS News
Republicans Screw Over 37 Million by Blocking Bill Lowering Student Loan Interest Rates
https://thinkprogress.org/gop-blocks...c08#.7cpj539if
GOP Blocks Freeze On Credit Card Interest Rate Hikes | The Huffington Post
Republicans Block Unemployment Extension, Democrats Plan to Try Again (Updated)
Republicans In Congress Want To Cut Free Lunches For Poor Kids; Don

And republicans practice supply side/trickle down economics which are tax cuts for large corporations and the very wealthy, and very few black Americans are in a position to benefit from republican tax cuts. Donald Trumps tax cuts for example will do the following,

Raise the poorest 20% of American families after-tax income by 0.8%.
Raise middle class Americans after-tax income by 1.5%.
Raise the richest 1% of Americans after-tax income by 13.5%.
And raise the richest 0.1% of Americans after-tax income by 14.2%.

Forbes Welcome

And the high percentage of black Americans that live in poverty are dependent on government programs for support. But Trumps supply side tax cuts will raise our national debt to 127% of GDP, while Hillary Clinton would have kept our national debt at 87% of GDP (and republicans raising our national debt threatens government programs that many black Americans need for survival.)

Promises and Price Tags: A Fiscal Guide to the 2016 Election | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget

Then there are issues like Donald Trump and the republicans wanting to end government regulations to increase corporate profits, and one after effect of this act is increased environmental pollution.

Today in America corporations place their hazardous waste dumping sites around low income neighborhoods because they do not have the money or political connections to stop them. And when republicans abolish regulations the extra pollution and toxic waste gets placed near black neighborhoods increasing their cancer rates and other chemical caused diseases.

Targeting minority, low-income neighborhoods for hazardous waste sites | University of Michigan News

And there are issues like most people in prison being black Americans, and republicans support corporate prisons. These corporate prisons make deals with states where if all the prison beds are not filled then the state must pay the prisons fines. And when states have to fill prison beds or pay fines it will be mainly black Americans filling those prison beds.

Private Prison Quotas Drive Mass Incarceration and Deter Reform, Study Finds | Equal Justice Initiative
Private Prisons Demand States Fill Their Empty Beds

Most black people are not yet brainwashed enough by the corporate republican machine to vote republican (but keep on trying to bring them in, because I believe someday you will take a good percentage of them.)

Fourteen Propaganda Techniques Fox "News" Uses to Brainwash Americans
Go for it.

I always enjoy watching people shooting themselves in the foot.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:38 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Less educated blue collar workers are more impacted by illegal labor because they compete for the same jobs. Given historic racism in the US and access to education, poverty etc. that obviously means blacks are more impacted than other demographics.

100% agree with your comment in another post that lawyer, surgeon etc. are not impacted by this which is a big blind spot for a lot of people that are "better off". Heck, I fall in that category and they don't compete for my job but I get my steak a little cheaper, my lawn mowed cheaper, my house painted cheaper, fruit etc. etc. etc.

I utterly benefit from cheap illegal labor.

I think it's a sad state of affairs in this country that we now have 2 parties that do not look out for the blue collar workers. Not only that, their plight is written off as them being stupid and racist.

Pretty elitist if you ask me.
Yup.

But as long as these individuals, companies and corporations keep hiring them and benefiting from cheaper labor, then they will continue to have incentive to come here (or stay when their work visas expire).

To me, it's like your housemate feeding a couple of stray cats and getting mad when more and more stray cats come around.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Blacks used to do quite a bit of construction on new homes. I'll bet I've not seen but a few Black plumber, electrician, carpenters, roofers, ect on job sites the last 10 years. Those jobs are predominately Hispanic. Maybe Blacks don't want this type of work any longer.

I used to work with black carpenters, bricklayers and roofers on new home construction in Oklahoma during the 70's, 80's and early 90's in Oklahoma. No more. Scab labor from south of the border drove wages so low no Americans could afford to take the jobs. Sad loss of good trade jobs that most Americans will never have the chance to do.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm black and frankly I can't see it. When I was in Illinois before the migration of Latinos to our city, blacks were not in certain jobs--by their own intentions. When Latinos migrated into the area, they became taking the jobs blacks weren't doing anyway.
Stop making sense, my friend.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Come to the Bay. When their H1B expires and they keep working, they are technically "illegal immigrants".
Is it the immigrant's fault?

Or is it the employer's?

Old 02-17-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg5 View Post
yup.

But as long as these individuals, companies and corporations keep hiring them and benefiting from cheaper labor, then they will continue to have incentive to come here (or stay when their work visas expire).

To me, it's like your housemate feeding a couple of stray cats and getting mad when more and more stray cats come around.
exactly.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Here in California they have so taken over what was beginning jobs that you have to speak Spanish in America now to access service industry or hotel jobs. Then shift leaders are getting to be mostly Hispanic and they tend to only hire Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies