Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Small comfort to the people who worked for years at a company forced to train the supposedly more qualified people who were brought in on a program meant to hire high skilled workers for jobs after they couldn't find qualified American workers to do the job. It happened at Disney. It happened at California Edison. It even happened to some people I know working in an accounting department of an electronics company. There are large companies who pay large donations to politicians like Marco Rubio and Hillary Clinton so they can circumvent our laws and essentially insource jobs to people who cannot move to a different job if they're dissatisfied, who cannot demand higher wages.
I don't deny it happens, heck, my last company we brought in a couple of Indian dudes to help out and they were so bad with English and no one could understand them that they ended up not working out.

Companies are on some level starting to realize that just because you can pay a bit less, it doesn't always work out. Not all, but some companies are seeing this issue coming up more and more.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:02 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is an astute point.

Mostly those that require weak language skills.

I've been trying to steer my kids away from jobs that can be done by a couple million Chinese over the internet.
Me too. And it's hard to figure out what the jobs of the future are that won't be done by people over the Internet or automation or AI. Even surgeons will feel the pinch some day, though I doubt a nurse will. I want to know why these idiots who dream of AI are so anxious to destroy everything because they liked their sci-fi and comic books so much growing up that they actually have the nerve to say it will just free up people to create more art and have an easier life. People like the Google creator, or Jeff Bezos. People need to be productive. When China with its billion and a half people creates whole factories that are automated, we know we're in trouble.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:40 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Where was Obama when black neighborhoods were being terrorized by black on black crime? Part of Chicago area worst than the killing in Iran. Why doesn't Obama instead of playing golf, go visit black neighborhoods more instead of hanging out with JayZ and Beyonce.

I believe Obama is more interested in being a celebrity than a politician. Same for most Democrats, they rather be the do nothing party that give the establishment what the want than working for middle class families. Look at the elections all over the country, what's trend?
Obama gave low income black communities $100's of billions of dollars with his stimulus, for improved housing, improved schools, improved public transportation, tax cuts, stimulus jobs, ex.ex.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nt_Act_of_2009

Obama gave low income Americans free cell phones in these days of no public payphones.
Obama Phone

Obama also gave low income Americans free and reduced cost high speed internet access.
U.S. ConnectHome program seeks broadband Internet for all Americans - UPI.com
FCC Approves Deal To Subsidize Home Internet For Poor Americans | Fortune.com

And Obama tried to raise the min wage, give the middle class tax cuts, give small businesses tax cuts and lending aid, lower credit card interest rates, lower student loan interest rates, extend unemployment benefits, bring back millions of jobs by ending tax breaks for outsourcing, get equal pay laws for low income female workers, ex.ex.

GOP Senators Reject Tax Cuts for Middle Class - CBS News
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.c5a8536e9275
Republicans Block Small Business Lending Bill - CBS News
Republicans Screw Over 37 Million by Blocking Bill Lowering Student Loan Interest Rates
https://thinkprogress.org/gop-blocks...c08#.7cpj539if
GOP Blocks Freeze On Credit Card Interest Rate Hikes | The Huffington Post
Republicans Block Unemployment Extension, Democrats Plan to Try Again (Updated)
Republicans In Congress Want To Cut Free Lunches For Poor Kids; Don
Senate Republicans Vote Against American Jobs By Blocking Bill To End Outsourcing Tax Breaks
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...pay-bill-again

And perhaps Obama could have done more to reduce black on black crime, but still Obama did many things for black Americans and tried to do many more.

And what could Obama have done to reduce black on black crime?

Last edited by chad3; 02-18-2017 at 01:03 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 03:17 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Me too. And it's hard to figure out what the jobs of the future are that won't be done by people over the Internet or automation or AI. Even surgeons will feel the pinch some day, though I doubt a nurse will. I want to know why these idiots who dream of AI are so anxious to destroy everything because they liked their sci-fi and comic books so much growing up that they actually have the nerve to say it will just free up people to create more art and have an easier life. People like the Google creator, or Jeff Bezos. People need to be productive. When China with its billion and a half people creates whole factories that are automated, we know we're in trouble.
Waste Management!

From what I read, everyone from the neighborhood trash collector to the top brass in the waste management field make really good money.

Not a glamorous job, but trash removal cannot be done online.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Do you find a lot of people qualified for those positions in the big city ghettos?
Do you understand logic at all?
Apparently you don't, because your reply makes absolutely zero sense in context to the poster I quoted.

Move along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Exactly and they give hefty campaign donations to make that happen. (both parties anymore)

What they have done in the last decade or so is to re-brand their screwing of the American blue-collar worker as somehow them being the "good guy" and casting the upset workers as "racists" that don't like immigrants. Gotta love it, corporate America using "racism" as a defense of their off-shoring and on-shoring efforts....it's brilliantly diabolical.

Go back and watch the Fortune 500 Superbowl commercial propaganda about bad Americans hating on immigrants....slickly produced crap costing millions to produce and air. Hmmm....maybe a commercial showing John Doe working 2 jobs and getting laid off etc. might tell a fairer story but who is going to pay for it? Hey, I have nothing against immigrants and I can even understand the plight of illegals but wow....there is a loser in this scenario and the claim that this does not impact Americans because they don't do those jobs is utter BULLHOCKEY. I have friends and family that did "those jobs".

P.S. In at least partial defense of the employers....the American people are a-holes by and large that buy cheap no matter what. Walmart buried competitors not because they treated people well.....but because people wanted cheaper goods NO MATTER WHAT. We all have to at least glance in the mirror on this one.

The only way to combat this is massive fines on employers and that's not going to happen since they own too many politicians and of course....I must be a racist to even suggest this....sigh.
Can't really argue what you said. Big corps are pulling the strings and for the most part, everyone else is just along for the ride.

Quote:
It's both, unless the employer is unaware the visa expired. But visa holders sign a contract that tells them the penalties for overstaying. There is no excuse.
Yeah, I don't buy the employer not knowing they expire. If there's no punishment for them overstaying their expired visa, then why would they leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Seriously? You do know illegal aliens are allowed to practice law in CA and NY, no? Which makes no sense because how can one be a licensed lawyer while violating the law on an ongoing basis.

Undocumented immigrant can practice law in California, court rules - CNN.com

César Vargas Just Became New York's First Undocumented Immigrant Lawyer - NY Mag

And FYI, here are the jobs illegal aliens are taking from US citizens and Green Card holders:

The Jobs Undocumented Immigrants are Taking, By Industry - Washington Post
One look at your posts and links and I can tell you didn't bother to read the reply I gave to someone else who talked about a similar situation regarding a teacher in Colorado.

Illegal immigrants aren't rolling up from Mexico with zero English-speaking skills, walking into companies like Shell, PwC and IBM and getting handed professional/white collar jobs at the snap of the finger. These examples are with those who come here illegally as a child, get educated and then benefit from some sort of waiver or circumstance (such as a high population of foreign language speakers in their community) that leads to them getting a job. They're technically as "qualified" or even more qualified to get the job, than their American-born counterparts, based on the position. But who hires them?

Once again, more of the blame goes on the employer.

So one last time, like I said, illegal immigrants are not stealing those types of jobs.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:41 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I'm a registered moderate democrat, but they lost my vote when they wanted to bring in all of these refugees from very hostile nations while at the same time try and strip and chip away the second amendment so I can't defend myself in case crap hits the fan.

Dems need to just leave the second amendment alone. If people want to be like Australia or The UK with the strict gun laws, then move to those countries.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:54 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm black and frankly I can't see it. When I was in Illinois before the migration of Latinos to our city, blacks were not in certain jobs--by their own intentions. When Latinos migrated into the area, they became taking the jobs blacks weren't doing anyway.
If you lived in Houston Texas.....

You'd notice that many of the civil servant jobs in places like court houses, the county tax offices, the post office, etc that used to be overly represented by black workers have been undergoing a huge shift to Hispanic workers as the need for bilingual language skills has skyrocketed.

I also remember way back in the day when you'd see many black people working good paying construction jobs like roofing. Today it's exceptionally rare to see it.

Yes, this is based on my observations in Houston, but it's up to you to ignore it.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:26 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's already torn white folks a new one...what did they do about it?

Oh yeah. Nothing.

Why are so many farmers (the overwhelming majority actually) Republicans?

People of any occupation in rural areas tend to be more conservative. It probably is associated with self-reliance and religion.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:33 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Is it the immigrant's fault?

Or is it the employer's?

Seriously?

If I drive 150mph and don't get a ticket did I break the law?

When you accept those positions you agree to abide by the law. Of course it's the immigrants fault. We are responsible for our actions.

How we behave when nobody is looking is just as important as how we behave when under scrutiny.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:08 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
One look at your posts and links and I can tell you didn't bother to read the reply I gave to someone else who talked about a similar situation regarding a teacher in Colorado.

Illegal immigrants aren't rolling up from Mexico with zero English-speaking skills, walking into companies like Shell, PwC and IBM and getting handed professional/white collar jobs at the snap of the finger. These examples are with those who come here illegally as a child, get educated and then benefit from some sort of waiver or circumstance (such as a high population of foreign language speakers in their community) that leads to them getting a job. They're technically as "qualified" or even more qualified to get the job, than their American-born counterparts, based on the position. But who hires them?

Once again, more of the blame goes on the employer.
And exactly WHY didn't they bother to become LEGAL immigrants? Hmmm...???

Quote:
So one last time, like I said, illegal immigrants are not stealing those types of jobs.
Actually, YES, they are. Deport them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies