Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 12:43 AM

38,622 posts, read 26,292,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Many people want to do certain jobs they just don't feel like going through the multiple extra levels of cracking the glass ceilings. You'd be surprised at how different things are when you're not just apart of whatever the dominant group is in society. Go ahead call me "liberal". Some people would just rather not deal with the headache of dealing with the man-children that control these industries.

Unprovable, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 12:56 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,728,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
As you can see, lots of people have been looking into this for a while - and there are a lot of ways that women (or girls when they're younger) could be turned off of STEM in ways that are unrelated to their actual ability to do the work.
Yes, their lack of interest in the work.
Quote:
We have come a long way from where we are, and there are many STEM fields that actually have more women than men
Yes, areas like medicine that are concerned with helping and caring for living things. Women have no trouble pursuing science degrees and careers in these areas.
Quote:
- but I think we can even things out by addressing some of these chokepoints.
And I think that does mean that we need to do a better job on the opposite end in addressing why men might not be going into more women-dominated areas.
What is it with you liberal types? Why the need to try to defeat human nature and eliminate all differences in male and female roles? What purpose does this serve?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:05 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,882,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, their lack of interest in the work.

Yes, areas like medicine that are concerned with helping and caring for living things. Women have no trouble pursuing science degrees and careers in these areas.

What is it with you liberal types? Why the need to try to defeat human nature and eliminate all differences in male and female roles? What purpose does this serve?
I'm not trying to eliminate differences in gender. Why do you think I am?

I'm trying to make it so that girls are given all opportunities to go into whatever fields they're most interested in - I want them to do it because they want to do that work, and not for any other reason. Is that not what we want to achieve?

Do you think the studies that have looked into this issue are flawed for some reason? If so, why? Why do you claim to be such an expert on this topic?

Or did you not look at any of the content I posted in the post you just replied to?

Old 02-18-2017, 03:12 AM

11,640 posts, read 5,678,466 times
Women now and for quite a while have the opportunities to pursue any career they chose. Will there be obstacles along the way - sure - but someone will tackle them.

What liberals fail to understand is that you don't get good results by force feeding your views, opinions, concerns to people - it's human nature for people to get their backs up when forced to do something or being subjected to the same rhetoric everyday.

I never felt my choices were limited when I thought about what I wanted to become 40 yrs ago. Are there still some companies or bosses who are old school and have different views about what women can do - sure - but why the heck would I want to work for them then. I want to work for someone that appreciates me - not try to change their minds or force them through laws to accept me - only then to have probable difficult working conditions.

You now have many companies that are hiring women, different races and religions ect - only to appease those on the left - meanwhile bypassing more qualified candidates because they are male or white.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:43 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,728,768 times
Quote:
I'm trying to make it so that girls are given all opportunities to go into whatever fields they're most interested in - I want them to do it because they want to do that work, and not for any other reason. Is that not what we want to achieve?
Nobody is against equal opportunity. The problem is in trying to use unequal outcomes as proof of discrimination, oppressive gender norming, etc. and then demanding affirmative action (discrimination) to solve the alleged problem. Tell me, at what point would you be satisfied that women have equal opportunities to pursue the dry, abstract sciences? How many girls-only internship programs to you want before you'll accept that significantly less than half of the people with the interest and ability to do cold, dead science are female?

Old 02-18-2017, 05:22 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,897,127 times
Quote:

Please kindly prove that a man and women have some different ingrained ability to do math/not do math.

Female and male brains excel at different things. For example men tend to have better spatial recognition, they could be better drivers. The keyword here being could.... The rational side of women make them statistically less likely to have an accident. In other words they are less likely to say "Hey ladies, watch this".

If there is any difference in math skills I don't know and that can go both ways.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:34 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,897,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
GE says that the best qualified is the 20k women they plan to hire.

Why argue with them? It's their company. They know what's best for them.
The article cited a 50:50 goal, that is simply not possible unless you are overlooking men. The fact of the matter is the pool of women that go into these careers is small. They would be hiring women based on their sex, not on their qualifications.

If they were hiring men because they were men you wouldn't be making the "it's their company" argument.

People should be hired based on their merits, sex is not a merit with some small exceptions.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:54 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,893,108 times
From someone who works in STEM, the bigger problem is there's not enough women applying.
When I was in college we had no women in my graduating class. The classes ahead and behind us had like 1 or 2.
Right now if you're a female engineer, the sky's the limit. Everybody wants to boost their percentage of female engineers. I've ever never seen a female engineer not get hired and promotions happen very quickly.

I've worked at countless places where we only had say 5 women to 15 men in engineering and 3 of them were in leadership.

If GE is just now trying to get onboard with this preferential treatment of females, they're about a decade too late to the game.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:55 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,893,108 times
There are some fields I don't think will ever be equal opportunity for both genders.
I had a male first grade teacher and to this day people think that's kinda creepy.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:26 AM

26,727 posts, read 22,375,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Female and male brains excel at different things. For example men tend to have better spatial recognition, they could be better drivers. The keyword here being could.... The rational side of women make them statistically less likely to have an accident. In other words they are less likely to say "Hey ladies, watch this".

If there is any difference in math skills I don't know and that can go both ways.
Yes thank you.
Some of us are all about planning/ taking care of little children and of those bigger ones, that have tendency to do those things. (*sigh*)

And that's the reason I suspect women's brains are not all that wired for math. It requires a great deal of time and attention, while we have more important things to oversee))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies