Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:38 AM

4,771 posts, read 3,277,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Good writeup and you are right, the product for the most part isn't as good as in the past --- I'll make an exception for the NBA (L. James, S. Curry, etc are some of the best players to have every played)- but baseball and football aren't as good as back in the day --- mainly due to dilution of the product because there are more teams now.

Funny you mentioned Jimmy The Greek because he was one of the very first victims of political correctness in the media --- he said the wrong thing, without meaning any harm, and the suits fired him.

I would probably be in the same boat as you - paying little attention to sports, if not for fantasy sports which keeps me interested. Give it a try...... I also just read your personal quote about independent people don't need politicians..... good stuff!
That is complete nonsense. Grant it in Football due to salary caps, some veterans are not getting the opportunities to stick around as long as they once did and are being replaced with less experience. But over-all today's athletes are better then ever before. Baseball wise the pitching is far superior now then back in the day, and many of those hitters back in the day would not put up the numbers they did then if playing today.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:41 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,169,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
That is complete nonsense. Grant it in Football due to salary caps, some veterans are not getting the opportunities to stick around as long as they once did and are being replaced with less experience. But over-all today's athletes are better then ever before. Baseball wise the pitching is far superior now then back in the day, and many of those hitters back in the day would not put up the numbers they did then if playing today.
Yes and no regarding baseball pitching.

Your Clayton Kershaws, Max Scherzers, Stephen Strasburgs --- are all great and stack up against anyone in the past. But it's your lower end guys... your 4th and 5th starters on 1/2 of the teams.... your endless parade of middle relievers, many of who would have been in AAA in days gone by.....who have made the overall product worse.

Get rid of 6-8 teams and cut back on roster size and you'll see what I mean.

Or course don't hold your breath waiting for this idea to happen.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:50 AM

4,771 posts, read 3,277,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yes and no regarding baseball pitching.

Your Clayton Kershaws, Max Scherzers, Stephen Strasburgs --- are all great and stack up against anyone in the past. But it's your lower end guys... your 4th and 5th starters on 1/2 of the teams.... your endless parade of middle relievers, many of who would have been in AAA in days gone by.....who have made the overall product worse.

Get rid of 6-8 teams and cut back on roster size and you'll see what I mean.

Or course don't hold your breath waiting for this idea to happen.
Nope. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and mine as a former pro AAA pitcher and a retired D1 head coach does not agree. Back in the day pitchers did not do much with weight training and on average velocity was less. Grant it there were some guys that could bring the heat (mid 90's and up) but today it is the standard. Plus today's pitchers have more pitches in their arsenals.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:51 AM

27,028 posts, read 13,278,759 times
It's the same with sports outside the US, a lot of people are disgusted at the amount of money paid to Premier League Footballers in England.

The recent £90 million ($112 million USD) transfer of Paul Pogba to Manchester United being a ce in point, indeed Pogba earns £290,000 ($360,000 USD) a week and the Premier League is full of such over payed and over rated players.

It's a bit much when Football (Soccer) used to be a working class game and during a time when many people are on low wages and struggle to get by.

Sports Stars, Film and Entertainment Stars, Bankers, CEO's they are all often on ridiculous amounts of money, and they still manage to whine, and try to preach to the rest of us.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:57 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,169,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Nope. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and mine as a former pro AAA pitcher and a retired D1 head coach does not agree. Back in the day pitchers did not do much with weight training and on average velocity was less. Grant it there were some guys that could bring the heat (mid 90's and up) but today it is the standard. Plus today's pitchers have more pitches in their arsenals.
Point taken.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:36 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,173,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I love sports, follow them fanatically, and i plan to do so the rest of my life.

The athletes are getting better every year, and i can't find a single reason to be disinterested.
Keep politics out of it and I would too.

See I used to follow the Washington Redskins........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies