Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:22 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
pure tripe.

really? you mean when the "press" loaded up on ads for hillary clinton they called news? you mean when the "press" doubled down on smearing trump as much as possible? the american people saw through what was going on and voted accordingly. we the people have had enough of the lies in the so called "press".

they constantly told us things were going great during the obama administration, that things were always lousy in the bush administration, etc. have you noticed that the new york times, and other large news papers are LOSING readership? have you noticed that cnn and msnbc are LOSING viewership? that fox is GAINING viewership?

its time for a reality check, you cant lie to the american people constantly, to the point where your lies are obvious, and expect them to stay.

i dont want the press in this country to fail, but what i DO want is for them to report the truth, and not exaggerate in their reporting. especially not like they do today. did guys like cronkite exaggerate? a bit, but he reported the truth. and even though is was a liberal, he was fair and balanced with everyone, which is what made him an icon in the media, even today.

the press is called the fourth estate, and they are also responsible for properly reporting what is going on in the country, and they havent been for quite some time now. once again the people are getting tired of it.

BS,I mean seriously with respect everything you have just stated is pure horse dung.You hear something you don't klike so it's "fake news" ,Donald Trump say s the media is picking on him ,...what the hell????He needs to stop doing and saying stupid stuff and the media will stop saying things about him,do you see how that works?The media reports bad stuff about DONALD TRUMP becuase he is DOING BAD STUFF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 06:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Utter nonsense that has been drilled into your brain by FOX, Breitbart, etc. It was that great genius Sarah Palin who started this idiotic meme 10 years ago about the "lamestream" media; FOX picked it up, and then all the fringe bloggers like Breitbart capitalized on it, and then the Republican voters started obediently chanting it. Then Trump took it to the next level, calling anything he disagrees with or that disagrees with the GOP platform "fake news" . . . .
No, it was nothing like that at all. Fake news has been around for at least 100 years, and its propagators were sometimes open about what they were doing. When I think of propaganda, I always think of Lippmann and Bernays.

Bernays was Freud's double nephew, and here's what he wrote in 1928:

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country.”—Edward Bernays, Propaganda

Here's a bit on Bernays and Lippmann:

Quote:
One of the most disconcerting developments of the ugly 2016 Presidential campaign has been ongoing criticism by mainstream media sites and pundits of competing sources of news and information. This attempt at information control is reminiscent of the line of thinking argued by Walter Lippmann and Edward Bernays, both members of the Creel Committee.

The Creel Committee was the first systematic large-scale government-sponsored propaganda effort, which turned the formerly pacifist US into an eager antagonist of Great War Germany. The Committee was remarkable in the range of channels it used before the days of mass media to reach citizens and pump out stories of German barbarism, including bogus accounts of German soldiers bayonetting babies. Many member of the American public were horrified in the 1920s when they learned of the operation of the Creel Committee and the ease with which it had manipulated mass opinion.

Apologists like Lippmann [who wrote The Manufacture of Consent] and Bernays argued that modern life had become too complicated for ordinary people to understand; that citizens needed to have their information screened, interpreted, and presented by experts, such as members of the media. Bernays in his 1928 book Propaganda tried to rehabilitate the term, arguing that the word originally referred to religions presenting their message to potential converts, and that governments and businesses were justified in presenting the most persuasive version possible of their case, including using emotional techniques and validators to bolster their image. To illustrate how routine propaganda was, Bernays took the front page of a New York Times edition and ascertained that half the stories were propaganda.

In other words, the notion that the public should accept elite minders and gatekeepers as their sole source of information comes straight from successful first-generation propagandists.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:48 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It's all propaganda all the time already. Again, if a "free press" is so important (i.e., so powerful), why would you presume the "free press" would uses its power unselfishly? This fetishization of the "free press" has a huge theoretical hole.
I wouldn't assume that.

In fact, their total failure to use their power unselfishly is helped get Trump elected. They spent months acting as nothing more than an outlet for Trump to spread his insanity because it was good for ratings. They didn't really call him out because they didn't want to lose the viewers if his campaign stopped talking to them.

It really is too bad that they didn't start really going after his BS until it was too late.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I keep hearing all this stuff about fake news. I would like to know exactly what is being said that is fake. I'm not trying to be a smarta**. I'm truly flumoxed.
Here's an example from Nicholas Kristof in today's New York Times:

Quote:
Dan Rather, the former CBS News anchor who covered Watergate, says that Trump’s Russia scandal isn’t now at the level of Watergate but could become at least as big.
A scandal is "an action or event regarded as morally or legally wrong and causing general public outrage."

There is no Trump/Russia scandal. This a flat-out lie. It's fake news in the New York Times. Today.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
BS,I mean seriously with respect everything you have just stated is pure horse dung.You hear something you don't klike so it's "fake news" ,Donald Trump say s the media is picking on him ,...what the hell????He needs to stop doing and saying stupid stuff and the media will stop saying things about him,do you see how that works?The media reports bad stuff about DONALD TRUMP becuase he is DOING BAD STUFF!
What bad stuff has he done?

Old 02-19-2017, 01:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
rubbish. when i was growing up guys like walter cronkite were the press, and they laid out their stories properly. newspapers did the same thing, and it was rare that things were exaggerated, and the press was truly free.

as i grew up though, things started changing for the worse, especially after nixon was crucified in the press, and it didnt help that john dean lied to congress about nixons role in watergate, and the subsequent cover up(nixon coered up, but did not order the break in, that was a john dean operation).

after that the press started siding with the DNC, a little at first, but later on they essentially became partners politically, and the press was no longer free. in fact in the 2016 presidential campaign, the liberal press was just a giant ad campaign for hillary clinton. they took their orders from her, and they wrote their stories based on what hillary told them.

a true free press in this country would be much like that of the 50s and 60s where they report the truth, and they dont do drive by stories like they do today. these days often times the press gets going on a story before even bothering to find out if the story is true, and verifiable, and later on when the rela truth comes out, the damage is done and the press has moved on to other stories.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:58 AM

1,438 posts, read 779,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjohnson77 View Post
Rush says MSM has been domocratic since Walter Kronkite days. Its just now they dont attempt to hide it anymore. Do u think Hussein would have won 2nd term if his true agenda were reported by Fake CNN?
Rush washes 30 Percocet down for breakfast. He has less credibility than anyone.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:01 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I guess they lied to me in school when they said that a free press was essential to a democracy.

(link to the story

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...people-235150)

And what did they tell you about a lying, politically tainted press that you couldn't sort out by yourself?

Old 02-19-2017, 02:02 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Rush washes 30 Percocet down for breakfast. He has less credibility than anyone.
you dont know that.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:02 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. _____ Thomas Jefferson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies