Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Sigh,

Another one that doesn't get it.
You have no point?

Ok thanks for letting me know.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Sigh,

Another one that doesn't get it.
They call these people "useful (something or others)" not for no reason.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 AM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
So what. Every president is different and has a different set of circumstances. Its up to the Secret Service to decide what level of protection is needed for any given Pres and his/her family.
I am not questioning the need for the secret service to protect him, just the amount of trips he makes and the money that it is costing. It's considerably more than just AF-1, cars, support plane and staff, helicopters, military back up air craft and staff on site to clear the location and personnel. Now they need to cover 3 locations not to mention the rally's and other stop off points. There are also going to be endless trips by his sons to world wide properties.

Keep in mind that Trump was complaining about the cost for replacement by Air Force-1 as being too exhorbitant.

Last edited by Goodnight; 02-18-2017 at 06:23 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Does anyone believe the OP's numbers?

3 trips in a month is $10 mil

Numerous vacations in an 8 year time frame is $85 mil.

Mr. And Mrs. Obama took separate aircraft to their destination on occasion. European vacations for the girls.

Your numbers are off.

So, let me check your math. If 3 trips cost $10 million, and that only covers 3 consecutive weekends, then 52 weeks in a year X $3.3 million per weekend, that comes to roughly $170 million per year. Over 8 years that would be................OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!

In defense of Donald, he might actually stay in the White House 1 or 2 weekends a year, so that isn't too bad. But he is worth every penny !

Old 02-18-2017, 06:05 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Don jr and Eric are going all over the world to promote the latest Trump project in the area...golf courses and hotels. Their secret service have to go over first to scope out the area. And then they have to be with them at all times there. Do you have any idea how much this is costing us. Not to mention the cost of protecting Melania in NY. Presidents have always took dignities to camp David where it is very secured and protected. But now we have Mar a largo and the secret service is scrambling to somehow secure it when any club member can attend. This presidency is going to cost a fortune, more than we have ever seen. And who is going to pay for this....all of us. You may be ok with it but I'm not.
Obummer has secret service protection everywhere he goes -- and he's always taking vacations from his vacation.

Michelle and the daughters also have that protection, and they're scattered all over the place.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:50 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
It does appear to be a bit of a disconnect herein, with some claiming that no one really complained about the cost of President Obama going on vacation, and so it is unfair to complain about the cost to protect Mr. Trump and family.

Here are some of the prior threads in which I participated:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...4-million.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ii-17-day.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...on-hawaii.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...h-holiday.html

There were, I recall, many more, but I did not contribute to those other threads, and so cannot as easily find them.

Now, providing Secret Service protection to the President and his family is a given. Presidents going on vacation is a given. That said, Mr. Trump was very critical, if one will recall, of Mr. Obama's golfing and such.

One cannot 'mandate' that the President stay at the White House. However, I do not blame those that raise eyebrows at the amount of money that has been spent so far (just about to hit the one-month anniversary of inauguration) and what, if Mr. Trump keeps up this type of schedule, will be spent in future.

One article I read spoke to the expense of protecting President Trump at his country club in Florida. Since it is ocean-fronted, the Coast Guard is heavily involved. The towns in the area are also complaining that they are being forced to spend quite a bit of money, out of already strained budgets, to do their share in crowd and traffic control. We have already read about the expense to protect the First Lady and the youngest son in Manhattan.

I also applaud the reasoning behind keeping young Baron in school in New York, for now. However, I would hope that next September he will enroll in the school in Washington D.C. that caters to such children (that the Obama children went to).

One gets the feeling that Mr. Trump rather enjoys standing up from his White House desk, and proclaiming "I want to go to Florida" and having hundreds of people leap about to do his bidding.

I was interested to read that the estate in Florida was originally built to serve as a "Winter White House", and that no president wanted to use it (back in the 1930s), hence it did not serve much purpose until Mr. Trump purchased the property (I believe in 1985). When Mr. Trump first referred to it as the 'Winter White House' I thought he was being facetious, but he knew his history of the property.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:19 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
No, you are profoundly out of touch if you think that any family that occupies the white house does not make profound sacrifices when it comes to their personal privacy.

I doubt you would last a week trapped in the White House.
I don't want to hear one minute about Trump's sacrifices to us as President. He knew what he was taking on when he signed on for the job and agreed to all of it when he accepted it. And he wanted it all: mostly the attention and the adoration he thought he would get. And I certainly don't want to hear about the money he's giving up for being president. For one thing, he's probably not giving up any money at all, because he still owns his businesses and once again, he agreed to run. No one was holding a gun to his head, demanding that he become the leader of the US.

It's like celebrities complaining about reporters and paparazzi. "I don't have any privacy!" they complain. Fine. Then they can give up their $2 million/year making movies, take that $15/hour job like the rest of us, and have all the privacy they want.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
What excess?

Shopping trips in France?

What other POTUS had a 10 year old & adult children & grandchildren who were threatened by the wacko left?

NOW you don't want what other POTUSs, while in office, have been afforded b/c Trump's brood is larger than the previous, to the Trump family?
I want Melania and Barron to move into the White House. That would seriously cut costs. The White House is specifically provided for the First Family. It's a money saver. Already secure.

I'm not keen on the weekend trips EVERY weekend down to Mar-a-Lago.

Otherwise, I have NO issue with a First Family taking occasional trips and vacations.

Btw? Ronald Reagan.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:38 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
#1. The SS protects the POTUS AND his family.

FAMILY.

No age or income requirement precludes a direct family member.

#2. A resume consisting of "community organizer" and "never showed up to vote" doesn't exactly make one a great candidate for POTUS. But he won. 2x. Without any successful business to brag about or any business acumen. So "Community Organizer" + "color of skin" got him elected in his hometown/city & then 8 years in the oval.

He walked in to the White House worth how much? Walked out worth how much "richer"? Millions were made in those 8 years....which the annual POTUS salary does NOT make up for.

Obama wanted to extend the protection of the secret service for a lifetime & he did (Former Presidents Protection Act)... b/c he knows once all of his BS gets out there/leaked? He's going to need it.
Probably because he received more threats than prior presidents.

Not his fault so many racist nut jobs are skulking around, armed to the teeth.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:38 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, coming from the same side that condemned Obama for taking a vacation to Hawaii ! Trump has racked up more weekend trips to Florida in 3 weeks than most Presidents do in a year. This was the man who swore to buckle down and work hard for America.

But what did we expect from a guy who lived in a gold plated Penthouse ? He may only be taking a buck a year in salary, but he sure is sucking up the perks !

After all, a 70 year old guy needs to do something to keep a hot, younger wife around.
It's amazing how a man of such extravagance has deceived poor and working class people into voting for him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies