Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:39 AM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
While Rex Tillerson is on his first overseas trip as Secretary of State, his aides laid off staff at the State Department on Thursday. Much of seventh-floor staff, who work for the Deputy Secretary of State for Management and Resources and the Counselor offices, were told today that their services were no longer needed.

More here:
State Dept. carries out layoffs under Rex Tillerson - CBS News

CNN:
Tillerson executes abrupt shakeup at State Department - CNNPolitics.com
No I think, I hope, he fired them all. Anyone who is an obama supporter needs to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:58 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
good. They are Obama's people and must go
What makes you think they were Obama people, when only few employees are presidential appointees? Some of them could have verb hired when Reagan was president.

Maybe they only want employees who speak Russian, or are Russian citizens.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
While Rex Tillerson is on his first overseas trip as Secretary of State, his aides laid off staff at the State Department on Thursday. Much of seventh-floor staff, who work for the Deputy Secretary of State for Management and Resources and the Counselor offices, were told today that their services were no longer needed.
Good. Hopefully the bulk of them were Neo-Conservatives or Neo-Liberal Institutionalists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
They need to get John Bolton in there -- he knows where all the traitors are.
Bolton is a Neo-Con...you don't need anymore of his ilk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That has also been my understanding, that many had been with the State department going back to at least George W. Bush.
That would mean that many of them were Neo-Cons and Neo-Libs....happy happy joy joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The workers had been in charge of damage control for Hillary Clinton.
Quote:
The FBI also released the summary of an interview that revealed a cabal at State that oversaw the email release — a “powerful group of very high-ranking STATE officials that some referred to as ‘The 7th Floor Group’ or as ‘The Shadow Government.’ This group met every Wednesday afternoon to discuss . . . everything CLINTON-related to FOIA/Congressional inquiries.”
source
Then they're twice as useless.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Really ? The State Department is there to challenge the edicts from the Oval Office ?
Actually, yes as your Constitution is constructed. The Cabinet is supposed to be a Check & Balance against the President.

It was never intended that the Cabinet be sycophants.

The Speaker of the House is supposed to solicit names from Majority and Minority Leaders, then forward them to the Senate. The Senate creates a short-list of confirmed appointees and gives it to the President, who chooses from the short-list.

Woodrow Wilson is the one who subverted the process and demanded he choose his own Cabinet members.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
So now we cheer at people losing their jobs? Got it. I will cheer people in middle America losing their jobs in the future. Is that how it works?

Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
No I think, I hope, he fired them all. Anyone who is an obama supporter needs to go.
So let me get this straight. You believe that an employee who supported Obama deserves to be fired even though they were doing excellent work? Why? And I thought Trump was supposed to be creating jobs, not destroying them.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:19 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:

More here:
State Dept. carries out layoffs under Rex Tillerson - CBS News

CNN:
Tillerson executes abrupt shakeup at State Department - CNNPolitics.com
draining the swamp !

Last edited by Kracer; 02-18-2017 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: ed

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The people being let go/reassigned are excepted employees who can be fired at any time. The background screening issue is a separate one. Many of the *new* people brought on never passed an initial background screen and now it's being found out that they have issues that prevent them from passing at all.

It's not uncommon for new agency heads to come in and clean house, but it's pretty uncommon for them to summarily fire entire departments of people who have been there for decades all at one time. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but in many cases it will happen more slowly and in a more insidious manner. I know people who have been in departments that were wiped out, but it took 2-3 years for it to happen, not 1 day, because then you have a department where people have no institutional knowledge. At least if you take 2-3 years, there are a couple old people who institutional knowledge that you retain long enough to get the new people trained.
Generally it would make sense to do it that way. But with all the underhandedness reportedly going on in those departments, the damaging leaks, rogue tweets and other attempts on the part of Obama loyalists among the employees to undermine Trump's administration, perhaps the only way to control this was to dismiss all of the employees sooner rather than later. Better than using that institutional knowledge against your boss because you don't like him, I guess.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So now we cheer at people losing their jobs? Got it. I will cheer people in middle America losing their jobs in the future. Is that how it works?
In this case, as Mircea said in the post above yours, it makes sense because the people that were previously in charge were responsible for major atrocities. Personally, I'm tired of being at war. As Americans, it's time that we accept responsibility, stop acting like children, and realize that our way of life is completely unsustainable.

We will all have to make sacrifices, but not necessarily when it comes to our necessities, so long as we are proactive and do what needs to be done now instead of waiting several years down the road when it's too late.

Some may argue it's already too late.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
In this case, as Mircea said in the post above yours, it makes sense because the people that were previously in charge were responsible for major atrocities. Personally, I'm tired of being at war. As Americans, it's time that we accept responsibility, stop acting like children, and realize that our way of life is completely unsustainable.

We will all have to make sacrifices, but not necessarily when it comes to our necessities, so long as we are proactive and do what needs to be done now instead of waiting several years down the road when it's too late.
In the future, when middle America or the South loses jobs I will applaud since Trump supporters are so thrilled at others losing theirs. If humanity and empathy are gone, then it's gone for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies