Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:16 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Macmeal, why would you think its okay to lump inner city project Detroit blacks with educated blacks that live in Woodmore, MD? You are clearly dealing with two dinstincly seperate classes of people. The only thing that is the same is their race, but beyond that nothing else. [/font]

. Macmeal, do you worry about poor whites in West Virginia when you go to bed at night?[/font]

Its funny you think this way in reference to blacks. Would you ask Donald Trump why he doesn’t help poor white people in West Virginia.

I'll just answer this one of the last two paragraphs, as i think i coverd most of this in the first long one.

. [/font]
Thanks for your answer. But as usual, you got a little "huffy", it seems to me. Did I ever ONCE say I "felt that way about blacks", or "lump them together"?..No I did NOT, and I've LONG held the view that there's no more a "black community" than there is a "white" one. I said NOTHING of my views in my post--I clearly and carefully inquired about YOUR beliefs on this matter..which I got, but with a 'scolding' thrown in, that was most inappropriate for my polite request.....My post was actually no more than a series of VERY polite questions..HOW, may I ask, were you able to get all these erroneous "beliefs' you think I have, from that post?

By the way, some years ago in OUR local area, the folks in "the hood" seemed VERY upset when O.J. Simpson didn't go there and "thank them" when "they" (meaning blacks on the jury) "got him off" from his murder charge.

I could have saved them their frustration. OJ Simpson had no more desire to "run" in the "'hood" than Donald Trump does. I'm not surprised at ALL that he felt no need to visit "South Central" to express 'gratitude' (to WHOM. exactly?). But several disgruntled residents did express just that feeling of disappointment...OJ was being "ungrateful' to the black community. I thought it was nonsense THEN, and I still do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 06:23 PM

746 posts, read 846,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Thanks for your answer. But as usual, you got a little "huffy", it seems to me. Did I ever ONCE say I "felt that way about blacks", or "lump them together"?..No I did NOT, and I've LONG held the view that there's no more a "black community" than there is a "white" one. I said NOTHING of my views in my post--I clearly and carefully inquired about YOUR beliefs on this matter..which I got, but with a 'scolding' thrown in, that was most inappropriate for my polite request.....

By the way, some years ago in OUR local area, the folks in "the hood" seemed VERY upset when O.J. Simpson didn't go there and "thank them" when "they" (meaning blacks on the jury) "got him off" from his murder charge.

I could have saved them their frustration. OJ Simpson had no more desire to "run" in the "'hood" than Donald Trump does. I'm not surprised at ALL that he felt no need to visit "South Central" to express 'gratitude' (to WHOM. exactly?). But several disgruntled residents did express just that feeling of disappointment...OJ was being "ungrateful' to the black community. I thought it was nonsense THEN, and I still do...
Sorry, you took the response to be hostile. I was not neccessarily referring to you, but to greater society in some of those questions. Point was to say the groups are no different and to ask you questions that pretained to what you were asking me? I was trying to point out why (it was a good question to ask) but how silly you would think i was if I asked them or made those same sort of assumptions. (eg Rush speaks for All whites and Donald Trump shoud care about poor whites in west virginia)

Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Sorry, you took the response to be hostile. I was not neccessarily referring to you, but to greater society in some of those questions. Point was to say the groups are no different and to ask you questions that pretained to what you were asking me? I was trying to point out why (it was a good question to ask) but how silly you would think i was if I asked them or made those same sort of assumptions. (eg Rush speaks for All whites and Donald Trump shoud care about poor whites in west virginia)
Explanation noted---thanks. It seems we agree, then, that the notion of a "black community", or any OTHER community, of tens of millions of people--is 90% nothing more than a sort of journalistic 'code word' that really says nothing about the real world...it just 'sounds good'...

Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 PM

36 posts, read 112,184 times
A proper question...

How do white people hear of Al Sharpton?

How do black people outside New York and the Northeast hear about Al Sharpton?

Was it through the media, or was it from a member of the same racial group of you.

I think its more of the latter and definitely highlights the lack of dialogue between blacks and whites....

But carry on...

Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,351 times
Quote:
I like reading books (I hate fiction, because its not “real”)I like snowboarding I like dabbling in the stock market (I’m a finance dork)I like spending time with family (most important way to relive stress)I live traveling (always exploring new places)Teddy RuxpinCare BearsMask/G.I. JoeDead Poet SocietyGood Will HuntingPursuit of HappinessI'm sick of the mis-information being spread on this forum about blacks. It makes me sick. We are not some monolithic group that all blindly supports and agrees with one another. I’ll take the time out to list questions, which many of the non-black community constantly tries to align the entire black community with. I'm only speaking for myself as a black, so it is safe to assume there are at least a few million others that probably agree with me or like the same things i like. If there are other blacks and whites that would like to ask a large group of blacks question now is your chance. However, note, that this is my opinion or another black posters opinion and we are by no means speaking for the other 35,999,9999 million people.

Do you feel you are at a disadvantage because of Slavery?

No, not at all!!!!
Maybe not you, but what do you say about the rest of the "black community?"

Old 03-04-2008, 05:07 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
ust because, I’m black and educated, does not make it my job to worry about the 8 million poor blacks in the inner city; they should be worrying about themselves. However, that’s not to say I have no total concern for different black economic segments of the "community," but they do not rank highly on my list of things to do. (Just like poor whites in West Virginia wouldnt rank highly on yours.)

Now, if I was a billionaire, then I would feel a duty or obligation to help, but until, that happens, I can only pursue my interest to the best of my ability and hope the invisible hands plays its part. I have never signed a contact with the supposed “black community,” so I’m under no contractual agreement once i get an education to all of a sudden start caring about anyone outside of my friends or family.

and you fit right in with the 'STEREOTYPE" image which is quite amusing. You don't care about poor black folk since you obviously were born into a situation that precluded you from that.

Tell me how your life would be different if both of your parents were poor & didn't have resources to give you the education you now enjoy?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
DUDE, NO WAY!!! ME TOO! RON PAUL ALL THE WAY!!! I knew there were other non-whites like me!! I'm not even sure who made up most of the stereotypes, because even a lot of the black friends i have grew up in a smiliar fashion to me and liked pretty much most of the same things.
I once read something along the lines that black people are the ethnic group with the highest percentage of libertarians.

One of the people I'm subscribed to on YouTube is an African-American man in his mid 20s that was a Ron Paul supporter, he even had one show where he described his dislike of painting Ron Paul as racist while criticizing previous comments and attacking the white supremacists that support him.

Also saw another video a while back where a middle aged black guy from Chicago explained that he thinks that a mixture of capitalism and black awareness is the best way for the black community to gain economic equality with whites and help revitalize black communities without them undergoing heavy gentrification.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
oh, I soooo can't wait for the day when everyone can see beyond color- and we really do need to get rid of the "check which of the following groups you belong to; white/non Hispanic, African-American, Hispanic, pacific islander, other" choices on any and all forms of applications. And first off, white is a color- not a race

Next- each race/culture has had to endure and overcome some type of adversity.

I don't care if you are white, black, brown, green or blue for that matter. What I do care is how you treat other people- what KIND of person you are.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,887 times
Truthhurts~

A little unsolicited advice from a Black man of your parents' generation. Do with it what you will:

You have absolutely no obligation to disprove stereotypes about you (or me). In fact, it's not your role or responsibility to do so. Let me explain.

You've laid out all the evidence that you are a well-rounded, multi-faceted young man with a diversity of knowledge, interests, friendships, etc. You became that person on your own upbringing; your own volition; your own knowledge; your own understanding of people, places and things. Yet you undertake the obligation to emplor others to look past their prejudices to see that you're just as ordinary of a person. That's not a balanced way of gaining the respect that you deserve.

You should never have to "prove" that you're not a stereotype, any more than a White person would "prove" that they aren't a stereotype. You owe nothing to anyone. Just be yourself and let others be who and what they are.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:34 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
I'm sick of the mis-information being spread on this forum about blacks. It makes me sick. We are not some monolithic group that all blindly supports and agrees with one another. I’ll take the time out to list questions, which many of the non-black community constantly tries to align the entire black community with. I'm only speaking for myself as a black, so it is safe to assume there are at least a few million others that probably agree with me or like the same things i like. If there are other blacks and whites that would like to ask a large group of blacks question now is your chance. However, note, that this is my opinion or another black posters opinion and we are by no means speaking for the other 35,999,9999 million people.

Do you feel you are at a disadvantage because of Slavery?

No, not at all!!!!

Do you feel you are a victim of whites?

No, not at all. All I care about is that the white government maintain as little control over my life, so I’m freely able to pursue whatever I want with the most liberties. As long as they allow me to do that I’m perfectly content!

How do you feel about Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (do you listen to them?)

I feel they are dishonest, self serving, and pursuing their own freedoms at the expense of poor blacks. I have little patience for their antics. No, I rarelyl listen to them. They are simplly creation of the white media to continue to divide the races. No different then Jerry Falwell, Rush Limbaugh, and a host of other race baitors.

Do you listen to only Rap, Hip-Hop Music??

No, actually some of my favorite Bands/ groups are in no particular order

1. Linkin Park
2. The Killers
3. Kayne West
4. Phil Collins
5. David Guetta

AFROPUNK - afropunk.com documentary, explores race identity within the punk scene. black punks latino punks people of color punk rock

Do you have only black friends and do you only associate with black people?

No, actually most of my friends are white (typically jewish), black American, black African, south American, German, English, and a few Swedish friends.

Have you ever been to jail or committed a crime?

No!

Have you ever lived in an inner city or project?

NO! grew up in a gated community and overseas for a brief time.

Do your parents have college degrees?

Yes, both have advanced professional degrees

Do your grand-parents have college degrees?

Yes, one set is very well educated and both have degrees and grandfather has a doctorate

Have you every been the victim of a crime?

Thankfully no, other than a hit and run, in which an old lady hit my car and kept going she sped off doing 50 mph. I called the cops and they got a big laugh from it all.

Did you grow up in a single parent home?

No, I had two loving parents

What are some of your favorite things to do?
  • I like reading books (I hate fiction, because its not “real”)
  • I like snowboarding
  • I like dabbling in the stock market (I’m a finance dork)
  • I like spending time with family (most important way to relive stress)
  • I live traveling (always exploring new places)
What were you favorite toys as a kid?
  • Teddy Ruxpin
  • Care Bears
  • Mask/G.I. Joe
What are you favorite Movies?
  • Dead Poet Society
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Pursuit of Happiness
What did you want to be when you were a kid?

1. Architech
2. Fighter Pilot (Fav move was Top Gun)
3. General in the US Army (Colin Powell was a General when i was a kid i looked up to him)

Who are you favorite comedians?

1. Chris Rock
2. Dave Attell
3. Dave Chepelle
4. Dane Cook
5. Larry the Cable Guy (Yes get err done his one liners are hilarious most redneck comedy i do not like)

Did you eat Fried Chicken and other "southern food" in your home?

No, my mom cooked a lot of creol dishes, but we never ate fried chicken, because it is bad for you heath wise. We did eat a lot of Mexican food (everyone really liked creol and spicy mexican food). Alot of sauteed spinach and broccoli i was a big fan as a kid. However, when visiting some southern relatives i was exposed to "southern black cusine" like collard greens (which i liked), but found pig feet and other fatty foods digusting.

I think most of us on here wouldn't lump black people together like you're suggesting. Rather its an issue of culture/class, not race, that is the problem of today. It seems that you and I have alot in common (I'm white btw) and its probably because we had a similar upbringing and are both younger. What I'm trying to say is that I think most people here in the 21st century realize it's about class. Even if someone makes the mistake of being racist (because of the actions of some low class black people), he should realize it's the class and not the race. There's low class whites that are just as undesirable as neighbors and whatnot.

I'm for Ron Paul too btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies