Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times

Advertisements

Having just returned from my first trip south of the Mason-Dixon Line, I gotta go with Chick-Fil-A.

Delicious. Brought tears to this Yankee's eyes. Who would have thought?

I'm thinking of changing my name to Bubba,trading in my Honda, and buying one of those pickup trucks. I want a big red one, with a decal of a little boy urinating on a rival truck brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 AM

222 posts, read 691,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
No sorry to disappoint you, but my mom is an educated health nut! Anything with just a little bit of grease on it we did not eat. Fast food was a special privledge lol. I guess, if these helps comfort your stereotype we did eat bacon, that is sort of fried and fatty. Although, to be honest I do enjoy Popeyes chicken strips on ocassion. I almost never ever get a chance to eat it in the northeast, because they do not have them. However, they have them at my parents second home in florida, so Popeyes and Checkers are fatty greasy heaven for me. When i do get a chance "I love that chicken from popeyes," but as far as someone at the house cooking it, i'd have a better chance catching a smurf.

My mother is a nurse so we didn't eat a bunch of fried food either. Also didn't go to McDonalds or BK. The only time we did get to go "out to eat" was when we were at a friends home and that's where they were going. The only cereal we ate was Shredded Wheat or Cheerios (no sugar). I still don't eat a lot of cereal till this day. When I do, I only want Frosted Flakes as this was always a no you can't have Frosted Flakes when we would ask. While I'm at it, we weren't allowed to drink Kool Aid. Junk food consisted of maybe a bag of corn chips every now and then. I am addicted to junk food as an adult. But I am getting better. lol

I so miss Popeye's. NC doesn't have it.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 AM

746 posts, read 846,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
My mother is a nurse so we didn't eat a bunch of fried food either. Also didn't go to McDonalds or BK. The only time we did get to go "out to eat" was when we were at a friends home and that's where they were going. The only cereal we ate was Shredded Wheat or Cheerios (no sugar). I still don't eat a lot of cereal till this day. When I do, I only want Frosted Flakes as this was always a no you can't have Frosted Flakes when we would ask. While I'm at it, we weren't allowed to drink Kool Aid. Junk food consisted of maybe a bag of corn chips every now and then. I am addicted to junk food as an adult. But I am getting better. lol

I so miss Popeye's. NC doesn't have it.
Yea, i hear you. It so funny, sometimes when i watch like "The Kings of Comedy" I find myself not able to relate to a lot of what they're talking about, but find it funny nonetheless. I then realize, while they're saying "black people" they're targeting a certain segment of black people.

Anyway its the same with food. I'm similair to you as an adult everything i was not allowed to eat as a child I tend to eat a lot of as an adult. McDonalds sadly to say, i eat more often than i should lol, but its good.

The funny thing is i honestly couldn't give you a list of "stereotypical" black foods as I only know the, fried chicken, watermelon, and kool-aid stereotypes. I was a "Tang" drinker msyelf lol. I loved that stuff. I have no idea what other black people ate etc, so i can only speak to what was eaten in my house and at my families/friends houses. There was just not a lot of friend food cooked at all. However, when i visited relatives in the south, they were always eating extremely unhealthy fried foods, so i also considerd it a southern thing.

I have been to a few black professional thanksgivings and one person always attempts to cook collard greens and they suck at it! In fact one of my aunts who rarely eats soul food always prepares some sort of soul food dish and it is always disgusting. I would never tell her that, but eww (pass the food under the table to the family dog). I have only had good collard green in the south. I avoid eating collard greens around professional blacks, because they just do not know how to cook the stuff. Its like if you're not from the south or have a background in cooking collard greens just because you're black it is not going to magically give you soul food cooking skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies