Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:34 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I know a lot of people that are not "fine" with it. Illegal means illegal. Period. What gives them the right to demand anything? They shouldn't be here to begin with.
Yes, and it's not as though restaurant food suddenly got better because illegal aliens were filling the kitchens.

It certainly didn't get cheaper.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-20-2017 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 05:54 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I am a head chef so perhaps I understand the dynamic here a bit better. The labor market for cooks has been really tight for cooks ever since Mexicans stopped coming and started going home during the last recession. It is really, really hard to find cooks in pretty much every city in the US.

Nobody wants to hire Americans to work in kitchens because the Americans who work in kitchens tend to be out of control alcoholics or addicts. Mexicans/Ecuadorians/Salvadorians aren't cheaper, but they are a lot more reliable, on average. Those cooks who got fired are going to find new jobs right away. Their replacements are probably going to be other Mexicans who got fired from other restaurants for the same reason. At the end of the day, the restaurants that fire their cooks for going to the protest are getting rid of their veteran staff and replacing them with new cooks who have to be trained. It is a game of musical chairs that hurts the restaurants that fired people more than the cooks who got fired.

Where I work, most of our cooks are from Ecuador. All of them are legal, but they all wanted to protest anyway because they think Hispanics are being demonized in general. We closed the restaurant because we are sympathetic to their cause. They are very loyal to us, so we feel like we need to be loyal to them when they need it, and they need it now.

A ton of restaurants in Minneapolis were closed as a mark of solidarity to the protesters. When you are running a business, making money is important, but sometimes there are things going on in the wider world that are more important.
Business owners stand by decision to fire workers who protested

Bill McNally, owner of "I Don't Care Bar and Grill" in Catoosa, Oklahoma, said his 12 line cooks gave him no heads up that they planned to participate in the day of action. They didn't even call to say they were not coming in.

McNally also insisted it had nothing to do with politics. Had he known about the protests he said he would have closed the restaurant in solidarity.

Why fire them, then?

"They just forgot about the 50 other people who work here," he said. "If the cooks don't show up then servers don't have jobs and customers can't eat."

Catoosa is a town of 7,000 people - were they "protesting" the town they live in? Were they "protesting" the man they work for? Were they "protesting" the people they work with? They worked there for 2 years, they worked with 50 other people -- looks like it was only those people that they work WITH that suffered from their "protest". He said he would have closed the restaurant if he had known what they wanted to do -

I don't feel sorry for them.

Another story from Colorado - 30 people fired for not coming to work, but they were warned they would be fired.

Jim Serowski said his employees told him they planned to skip work on Thursday to participate in "A Day Without Immigrants," the nationwide day of protest.

Serowski, founder of JVS Masonry in Commerce City, Colorado, said his message to them was clear and unwavering:

"If you're going to stand up for what you believe in you have to be willing to pay the price."
As promised, when his foreman and some 30 brick layers failed to show up for work he fired them all with no regrets, he said.

"They were warned, 'if you do this you're hurting the company, and if you go against the team you're not a member of the team.'" His foreman told CNN affiliate KDVR that it was important for him and his workers to join the protest. Some of his masonry workers have relatives who are afraid to leave their homes out of fear they may get arrested or deported, he said.

But Serowski said it was a slap in the face to people like him who have long supported immigrant labor. He's known many of his employees for nearly two decades, ensuring they were paid when he did not have work for them.

"I've gone above and beyond for these people," he said, seemingly distraught. "No one is going to dictate how my company is run."

Again ..... the "protest" ended up being against the company they had worked in for decades, the man who employed them. He even paid them when there was no work, it was a "slap in the face" - NOT to Donald Trump, but to Jim Serowski and they KNEW the consequences of "protesting" against the JOB they had.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:02 AM

733 posts, read 351,436 times
Reading this thread makes me not want eat out ever again. Meth heads, people putting other people's heads in ovens. Wow!

If they didn't call, they deserve to be fired. What does protesting really accomplish anyway?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Aren't there any good Americans who need work and now would happily take those jobs? I cant believe the American workers are all drug addicts.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:17 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
To be honest some of these folks probably have to luxury of protesting because they either have transferable skills or work in churn & burn industries where there are always job openings. I'm fairly liberal but I actually agree with employers who fire for springing something like this on the employer. Then again I think a boss would look like an ass for not letting a good employee take a requested day off. In my experience you usually only fire for something like this if you don't really care to keep the employee anyway.

One of my friends actually posted a page long bulletted list some ladies in a restaurant made after working late the day before the protest. If someone takes the time to mitigate their absence by working ahead then making the status of everything very clear I would be in heaven. I work with many so called professionals who can't record keep or relay information to save themselves.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:17 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Aren't there any good Americans who need work and now would happily take those jobs? I cant believe the American workers are all drug addicts.
I'm sure there are plenty of responsible older Americans, but employers only want young people they can exploit and who look pretty.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:23 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Business owners stand by decision to fire workers who protested

Bill McNally, owner of "I Don't Care Bar and Grill" in Catoosa, Oklahoma, said his 12 line cooks gave him no heads up that they planned to participate in the day of action. They didn't even call to say they were not coming in.

McNally also insisted it had nothing to do with politics. Had he known about the protests he said he would have closed the restaurant in solidarity.

Why fire them, then?

"They just forgot about the 50 other people who work here," he said. "If the cooks don't show up then servers don't have jobs and customers can't eat."

Catoosa is a town of 7,000 people - were they "protesting" the town they live in? Were they "protesting" the man they work for? Were they "protesting" the people they work with? They worked there for 2 years, they worked with 50 other people -- looks like it was only those people that they work WITH that suffered from their "protest". He said he would have closed the restaurant if he had known what they wanted to do -

I don't feel sorry for them.

Another story from Colorado - 30 people fired for not coming to work, but they were warned they would be fired.

Jim Serowski said his employees told him they planned to skip work on Thursday to participate in "A Day Without Immigrants," the nationwide day of protest.

Serowski, founder of JVS Masonry in Commerce City, Colorado, said his message to them was clear and unwavering:

"If you're going to stand up for what you believe in you have to be willing to pay the price."
As promised, when his foreman and some 30 brick layers failed to show up for work he fired them all with no regrets, he said.

"They were warned, 'if you do this you're hurting the company, and if you go against the team you're not a member of the team.'" His foreman told CNN affiliate KDVR that it was important for him and his workers to join the protest. Some of his masonry workers have relatives who are afraid to leave their homes out of fear they may get arrested or deported, he said.

But Serowski said it was a slap in the face to people like him who have long supported immigrant labor. He's known many of his employees for nearly two decades, ensuring they were paid when he did not have work for them.

"I've gone above and beyond for these people," he said, seemingly distraught. "No one is going to dictate how my company is run."

Again ..... the "protest" ended up being against the company they had worked in for decades, the man who employed them. He even paid them when there was no work, it was a "slap in the face" - NOT to Donald Trump, but to Jim Serowski and they KNEW the consequences of "protesting" against the JOB they had.

What the owners have to understand is that it was bigger then they are and their companies paid the price for their ignorance.It was ownerships ignorance .

Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of responsible older Americans, but employers only want young people they can exploit and who look pretty.

I am sure you have plenty of older Americans who want to layer bricks and know their rights about jobs and pay and safety standards.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:32 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
What the owners have to understand is that it was bigger then they are and their companies paid the price for their ignorance.It was ownerships ignorance .
Actually -- the business owners understand that THEY pay a salary for the worker. IF the worker chooses to "protest" against the Business and the owner who pays their salary -- that's OK, but there might be a price to be paid for that. I'm pretty sure we can all see who is "ignorant" here -- it's the person who lost their job because they WALKED off their job. That is the way the world works.

Was the USA "paralyzed" on Thursday? NOPE, but some folks lost their jobs because they had ZERO respect for the people who hired them and paid them a salary.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
We've all I'm sure missed important family events, holidays ect due to our work schedules - our family sure has. My husband had to take non paid sick days for our son's births - but that's the rules of the company he works for.

To just not show for a job without a legitimate excuse says a lot about the employees and I wouldn't want them working for me either. But the biggest concern I saw is that they needed a translator after being here for 2 yrs. Sorry - we talk about Muslims assimilating but I have seen just as many from other countries who have lived here for years and can't speak basic English
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies