Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:13 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times

Advertisements

You cannot pay FICA without a valid social security numbers.

Beside the article you quoted is just opinion. If you just do some basic math, the numbers didn't make any sense.

12 billion tax were collected with an estimated of about 3 million illegal workers. If each of everyone of the 3 million paid FICA , that would put them at 24000 a year. If half of them, 1.5 million pay the fica tax, then they are making an average of 50,000 a year.

Remember, most college graduates make less than 50,000 a year and you are telling me an illegal who has no degree and probably don't speak English will make more than college graduates make on average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 04:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Can you offer an explanation as to how the US will realize a net benefit by allowing third world immigrants/refugees across its border?
I'll answer to the refugees question, because I think that's what you really want to know about.

First and foremost, its the right thing to do. They are just as human as you, me and our families. I believe in the golden rule: treat others the way you'd want to be treated. That is enough for me.

Beyond that, resettled refugees can offer their own skills to our labor market. Refugees who work will not only contribute to our economy through spending, but their taxable income will expand the tax base of our government. Refugees who become legal residents or citizens help rebuild American cities too. Small business owners who are refugees have helped revive areas in Dallas, Philadelphia, Nashville, etc. Refugees often start their own businesses, in turn employees others - Americans and refugees alike.

Accepting refugees can actually help us fight ISIS through helping us with interpretation/information. Also, when the longer refugees are kept in those camps, the more likely they are to become radicalized.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
You cannot pay FICA without a valid social security numbers.

Beside the article you quoted is just opinion. If you just do some basic math, the numbers didn't make any sense.

12 billion tax were collected with an estimated of about 3 million illegal workers. If each of everyone of the 3 million paid FICA , that would put them at 24000 a year. If half of them, 1.5 million pay the fica tax, then they are making an average of 50,000 a year.

Remember, most college graduates make less than 50,000 a year and you are telling me an illegal who has no degree and probably don't speak English will make more than college graduates make on average?
Its a study. Here it is:

http://www.itep.org/pdf/immigration2016.pdf

Also, re: social security numbers and FICA

Illegal immigrants pay Social Security tax, won’t benefit | The Seattle Times

Quote:
Social Security officials keep a record of wages that do not match up with real names and numbers in their system. The record is called the earnings suspense file.

In 2009, the last year for which figures are available, employers reported wages of $72.8 billion for 7.7 million workers who could not be matched to legal Social Security numbers.

That total hit a record $90.4 billion, earned by 10.8 million workers, in 2007, just before the recession. Some of those were legal workers who simply made paperwork mistakes, but the majority are believed to be illegal immigrants.

Because those wages were reported by employers and not paid under the table, Social Security and Medicare deductions had to be made. A total of 12.4 percent of those wages went into the SSA system — 6.2 percent paid each by the worker and the employer. An additional 2.9 percent was paid into Medicare, half by the worker and half by the employer.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:49 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then they either make up a fake ssn or stolen someone else. Needless to say, they will elect not to have their income tax withheld. On the later scenario, they gifted the actual holder an IRS audit or multiple audits.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:06 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,364 times
Quote:
I'll answer to the refugees question, because I think that's what you really want to know about.

First and foremost, its the right thing to do. They are just as human as you, me and our families. I believe in the golden rule: treat others the way you'd want to be treated. That is enough for me.

Beyond that, resettled refugees can offer their own skills to our labor market. Refugees who work will not only contribute to our economy through spending, but their taxable income will expand the tax base of our government. Refugees who become legal residents or citizens help rebuild American cities too. Small business owners who are refugees have helped revive areas in Dallas, Philadelphia, Nashville, etc. Refugees often start their own businesses, in turn employees others - Americans and refugees alike.

Accepting refugees can actually help us fight ISIS through helping us with interpretation/information. Also, when the longer refugees are kept in those camps, the more likely they are to become radicalized.
I was actually more interested in discussing immigrants. Nonetheless, I can understand why one might feel a moral obligation to help refugees. I don't agree, but I can understand the position. The problem is that your characterization of their impact is rooted in fantasy, not reality. The golden rule sure sounds good, but it has no place in public policy. I would urge you to examine what's really occurring in Europe as a result of the flood of refugees; it isn't pretty. Allowing western civilization to be destroyed is hardly a compassionate thing to do.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Then they either make up a fake ssn or stolen someone else. Needless to say, they will elect not to have their income tax withheld. On the later scenario, they gifted the actual holder an IRS audit or multiple audits.
You obviously didn't read the second link. Yes, the employers make up SSNs or use stolen numbers.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I was actually more interested in discussing immigrants. Nonetheless, I can understand why one might feel a moral obligation to help refugees. I don't agree, but I can understand the position. The problem is that your characterization of their impact is rooted in fantasy, not reality. The golden rule sure sounds good, but it has no place in public policy. I would urge you to examine what's really occurring in Europe as a result of the flood of refugees; it isn't pretty. Allowing western civilization to be destroyed is hardly a compassionate thing to do.
No, my opinion is always rooted in fact. I'd dare not to form an opinion without understanding the topic. The things I said can all be verified with one's own research.

I know what's going on in Europe.

Our vetting process is much more stringent than theirs. Hence the issues they are facing.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
No, my opinion is always rooted in fact. I'd dare not to form an opinion without understanding the topic. The things I said can all be verified with one's own research.

I know what's going on in Europe.

Our vetting process is much more stringent than theirs. Hence the issues they are facing.
I agree that US standards are more stringent, but the number of people Europe is dealing with is much greater than the US, primarily as a result of geography. Placed in the same situation as Europe, I suspect you would agree with a similar protocol, coming from a position of "compassion".

At any rate, understanding the topic and speaking factually, what is the net impact of third-world immigrants upon the US, legal or illegal, refugees or not? Positive? You want to make immigration to the US cheaper and easier, which I presume extends to those from the third world. I think that's a dangerous idea.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:29 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
The refugees need to fix their own house. Not run away from it.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The refugees need to fix their own house. Not run away from it.
I couldn't agree more. They've spent decades alienating themselves from the western world; now they can own it. They can go fight for their country, not ask white people to save them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies