Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Trump meeting with business leaders to get input on what should be done to bri
It's a wise move to understand what businesses need to make the US attractive. 20 64.52%
Business leaders should have no input. 3 9.68%
We can't bring back jobs, so it's a waste of time. 7 22.58%
Other - explain. 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

What do you think?

Give it a minute for the poll to appear.

Question cut off: to bring back and/or keep jobs in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 07:44 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
It only makes sense to consult with those that are players in various industries to implement change.

For example, healthcare reform. Why were not Physicians, Nurses, Therapists, etc at the CENTER of healthcare reform with Obamacare?

Instead all it did was play into special interests..

Maybe this administration can do it right getting consultation from those that live and WORK in the system saving people's lives.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Talk is meaningless in this culture. You want to get something done, you have to put the law behind it. That's the American way. Also, the party in Congress is the same party that existed before Trump came on the scene. I'll let you guys connect the dots

Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
I'm indifferent to him meeting with people.

The issue that I fear is likely to become a reality is that he'll simply do what's profitable for them. This is distinct from helping the workers, which is what he ran on apparently. Bringing jobs back is a great idea, but what happens when healthcare is cut or wages become stagnant?

Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I'm indifferent to him meeting with people.

The issue that I fear is likely to become a reality is that he'll simply do what's profitable for them. This is distinct from helping the workers, which is what he ran on apparently. Bringing jobs back is a great idea, but what happens when healthcare is cut or wages become stagnant?
The vast majority of companies will do what is profitable.

That's just a matter of fact.

However, we can make it profitable for both the companies and the employees by giving companies advantages for producing here that imports will not have.

The issue is that the cost of goods will increase. Personally, I feel it's a good trade off.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Pffft....Who wants jobs? What we need is more Third World immigrants brought in to get on the dole. It'll be swell.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:00 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,787,848 times
I think Trump will drive away jobs and business. Any foreign companies aren't going to want to stick around. And already tourism is taking a hit due to him.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:03 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Trump knows NAFTA was a bad deal and Ross Perot warned us about the giant sucking sound of jobs going to Mexico. Trump knows what holds back our economy from growing. He knows what can stimulate the economy by helping companies getting rid of all the garbage that holds back growth and what has to be done for companies to thrive.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:05 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
How does he feel about investing in emerging industries to create new jobs? I understand he wants to bring back manufacturing, but a country can't just depend on its past.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:08 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
If he meets with these business leaders and they are open and honest with him, there is a record of what they said and a record of him asking questions and perhaps agreeing with them (as there was with the sheriffs' meeting).

If he gets that input, it helps to hold him accountable because if he goes quite a different way than they suggest they want him to go, then they can ask him why he did that and one hopes he will have a good explanation for them at the very least. He may indeed find that though they have great ideas perhaps implementing them from his platform is not fast or easy or even really viable - but with his cooperation perhaps some of their ideas can be put into action through a different venue if Trump supports them in that effort.

One cannot take forever to get this input and one can't get it from all interested parties, but if one never attempts to get that input at all, perhaps one might be viewed as being somewhat 'dictatorial' (and lord knows, we supporters do not think Trump should be viewed that way! ) < that was a joke, people .. the fact is that Trump is already being called that for no good reason at all it seems and he IS getting input in many areas he wants to address - and I laud him for doing so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies